Question Temperatur Sulfamate

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

andybee

Question Temperatur Sulfamate

Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:47 am

Hello Galvaniziers! :)

We have finished our first bath for 10" laquers and there are some open questions:

As far as I know, high amperages can only be done with high sulfamate temperatures.
also the boric acid level can be much higher at higher temperatures. o.k.
preplating is usually done at low temperatur, because not to soften the laquer.

For example: 35 celsius: max. 11 A , 40 celsius: 27A, 45 C: 43 A, 50C 81A,
55 C: 135A, 60 C: 178 A (for one 14")

As far as I know, these amperage maximums are for zero stress in the nickel,
but I am not sure...

So, what happens, if more amperage is given at lower temperature?

Another question: If no nickel chloride is added to the solution, what happens,
anode corrosion? is the chloride really essential ? we don´t have in our solution at the moment...
What can happen?

I also look for a good manual tool, to remove the middle part of the back of the laquer (for better contact),
or how this can be made...

Thanks for some hints!

Greetings from the MY45 galvano department, first stampers are sucessfully done :)

Aussie0zborn

Re: Question Temperatur Sulfamate

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:34 am

Tool for removing lacquer around centre hole on back of lacquer disc :

Get a drill bit, machine the first 10mm from the tip down to a diameter of 7mm so that it fits through the centre hole of the lacquer disc. Insert it from the back, rotate and it shaves off the lacquer.

mossboss

Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:39 pm

To hard to write it all again so here some hints
andybee wrote:Hello Galvaniziers! :)

We have finished our first bath for 10" laquers and there are some open questions:

Great good to see

As far as I know, high amperages can only be done with high sulfamate temperatures.

Correct

also the boric acid level can be much higher at higher temperatures. o.k.

Concentration of Boric acid is temperature related It should be to saturation at whatever temperature you are running
Take an anode bag fill it up with the boric acid hang it inside the bath The solution will take what it needs
If the temperature drops substantially it will precipitate out of solution floating at the top Avoid this if possible

preplating is usually done at low temperatur, because not to soften the laquer.

Correct

For example: 35 celsius: max. 11 A , 40 celsius: 27A, 45 C: 43 A, 50C 81A,
55 C: 135A, 60 C: 178 A (for one 14")

Arbitrary numbers
This procedure should be based on voltage and not amperage If you have dummy the baths at say 2 volts than the starting point should be above this voltage Generally you dummy at 2-3 V than you start at 3+ volts Amperage will establish itself at this point, based on size of lacquer from than on you can go up to 30 Amps in 30 minutes at a temperature of around the 38C in say 3 x 10 minute steps
It was standard equipment from Alpha to have a very slow revving baby motor which rotated the variac from starting point to max full stop in about that, 30 minutes
Avoid thermostat setting above 58 C At 60 C you want to make sure that your control is 100% accurate as at around the 62 C the solution starts breaking down producing ammonia which is impossible to remove there fore requiring new solution Expensive exercise
Further, at high amperage rates say above the 130-150 with 4 12" negatives the solution will get quite hot way above 60 if it is not cooled down This is due to the current passing through overheated solution must be avoided unless you have cooling system which is a must at these high current densities If you dont have it avoid going above 120 Amps and monitor any increase in solution temperature until you establish the max you can go without getting the solution above 60C

As far as I know, these amperage maximums are for zero stress in the nickel,
but I am not sure...

If you ever get to Zero stress let us know as well Ha It is for low stress

So, what happens, if more amperage is given at lower temperature?

Brittle deposit rough backs almost useless

Another question: If no nickel chloride is added to the solution, what happens,

It depends on your anodes
D chips generally do not require Chloride Some baths run by old timers still use it It helps corrosion
Electrolytic chips do need the stuff as the will get passivated than no deposition takes place
P nickel is best used with Bromide, Chloride is also be used but it is not the material choice

anode corrosion? is the chloride really essential ? we don´t have in our solution at the moment...

Chlorides generally speaking tend to increase tensile stress, you want a ductile deposit, at around the 5-8 grams per liter its OK it helps anode corrosion It goes down with usage to nothing as it co deposits so monitoring and replenishing its required if you wish to use it

What can happen?

All of the above He He

I also look for a good manual tool, to remove the middle part of the back of the laquer (for better contact),
or how this can be made...

You need something a little larger than the metal boss/shaft where you mount the lacquers A hole saw with a 7 mm drill bit in the center will take the lacquer off the back in a circle down to the aluminium Than you can cut the circle with a Stanley knife in say 4 sectors by drawing the knife like a cross and peel the bits off Its not the best but it works reasonably as a hand or manual tool Some times it is great It peels off easy some times its a pain You best get a slow gear motor than get the proper tool made up and mount it on that gear motor It is simple enough You may also use a wood Hinge cutter they have 2 radial cutting bits which will remove the whole circle See ebay item 261621215962 You may want to weld the round bit of a 7 mm drill bit in the center as the existing triangular bit will make the hole on the lacquer larger if one is not careful It works well by hand or even in a slow revving power drill

Thanks for some hints!

Hints galore above Ha

Cheers

Greetings from the MY45 galvano department, first stampers are sucessfully done :)
Chris

andybee

Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks Chris for your effort! :!:
Now having another new problem: :?
PH ist still very low (arround 2.2) I noticed my galvano man uses gloves with powder... :shock: