New Vinyl Press Machines -- First In 30 Years?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Bahaduras

New Vinyl Press Machines -- First In 30 Years?

Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Hello I am a longtime reader but this is my first post. I am a phonograph collector and vinyl enthusiast. I have read over and over that nobody would be able build new vinyl press machines because it was cost prohibitive. But GZ media just announced they have new ones coming online. Have you guys heard anything about this?

http://conta.cc/1DRPfX2

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DECEMBER 19, 2014

PIRATES PRESS AND GZ MEDIA UNVEIL BRAND NEW VINYL PRESS
CUSTOMERS TO EXPERIENCE QUICKER TURNAROUND TIMES
MORE PRESSES TO COME IN 2015 AND BEYOND

San Francisco-based independent vinyl manufacturer PIRATES PRESS and Czech-based GZ MEDIA are proud to announce the creation and successful implementation of a brand new vinyl pressing machine - the first made in 30 years. This brand new press, the first of many to be created, will steadily increase production capacity and decrease what are already the vinyl industry's quickest production times.

"While other companies chose to invest in other mediums, or just cruise through the peaks and valleys of vinyl's last 20 years, GZ Media has continued to invest in the FUTURE of vinyl. Rather than blindly basing our decision of where to make our vinyl on price, or whether it's made in the USA or not, we choose to make our vinyl with people who have stood behind vinyl since 1951, and invested in it's future throughout even it's darkest days. We have ultimate respect for the people and unique knowledge base that those people possess, and the passion and pride with which they come to work with every day. Even when vinyl wasn't popular, the pressing ladies at GZ felt themselves artists. Almost all of our records remain hand-pressed as well - not brought step-to-step by suction cups, but pressed by people," says Eric Mueller, owner of Pirates Press.

opcode66

Re: New Vinyl Press Machines -- First In 30 Years?

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:58 pm

Such great news! Fantastic!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

ejemmons

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Yay! Bravo! All we had to do was wait.... one more nail in the CD coffin.
Scully "500" with Westrex 3DIIa,
RA-1574E amps.

Maistrow

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:09 pm

I wonder if they will offer to sell the new presses to other pressing plants.
Just have to wait and see.

Bahaduras

Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Well Pirates Press in San Fran is saying that GZ is not going to sell the new pressing machines. Would love to know if they advanced or improved the technology past where it was when the last presses were built in the mid-eighties. It's fascinating to think about but I haven't seen any images or videos about the new machines.

untitledthe

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:28 am

Yesterday i saw a picture of the new press at GZ Medias website;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

idontknowwhatimdoing

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:30 pm

Hi, i know they have this machine, saw it (im from Czech republic). They also developed a great software for vinyl mastering, but i think they will not share any of this work.It s bussinessssssss

gtreacy

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:51 am

So it must not be cost prohibitive to make a new press... I'm new here, but what was the reasoning behind the idea the a new press is not a viable business solution? I read on the plant start up post that a new press in 1980 cost $70,000 and with inflation thats $200k in todays dollars, seems like plenty of money to make the equipment from readily available components and some specialized machining. Any thoughts on the pricing behind such a venture? The patents have run out on these machines right? Also this is the best club on the internet, thanks for that.

andybee

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 am

Well, nice machines built by GZ, "just" manual, but one worker can do a record every 15 seconds,
with this double manual, this is not bad. workers are cheap in Czech Republik, so there is
maybe no reason to build a new auto press for maybe 200-250.000 euros.
As long there are still presses around to repair/refurbish, there is no big market for
brandnew presses. you have to think about engeneering costs, new security laws and
a lot of other things...

Aussie0zborn

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:28 am

Very true.

djlithium

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:17 pm

I don't know. I think if people were given a choice they would rather buy new. anytime I find potential investors to go in on a plant they freak out about the age of the equipment and the limited servicing options out there.
If they put this press on the market for 200K or maybe a bit more in USD, I could see that being an easier sell than you might think. We have to get these turn around times back down to under a month. 20 weeks is insanity.
I need a full cutting solution. But would consider parts :)

andybee

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:26 am

the thing is, if you now go into the market and start a new plant, you need a lot of money
to start, (maybe 2-3 million if you want to buy everything new) + rent for building, workers need to be payed etc.
if you don´t have this money in your pocket, you have to refund it to the bank (first you have to get it, of course)
The "old" companys have no payback anymore, they can make better prices then a new player.
please correct me, when I am wrong :)

mossboss

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Mr B
You are correct
But 15 second cycle?? No way more like 28-32 seconds each cavity
and here is another tit bit for anyone out there looking to setup in the USA

I am a supplier and consultant to to the record pressing industry. In 2003 I installed completely new LP SMT automation on 5 old hydraulic presses for United Record Pressing in Nashville, TN.

My company is capable of producing the complete SMT press for $197,000. Delivery will be 6 months from date of order.

Please contact Donny Eastland 615-415-1711

Posted by: Donny Eastland | 12/04/2014 at 02:03 AM
If you want the full spiel it was posted here
http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2014/10/the-hunt-for-vinyl-record-presses.html
Cheers
Chris

andybee

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:40 am

2x presses @ 30seconds = 1worker = one record every 15 seconds (different productions)
of course...

mossboss

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:07 am

Semantics!!
A 30 second cycle is 30 second cycle
What do we say!!
I have 30 machines running at 30 second cycle so I make 1 record per second?
Production output is what it is and machine cycle is a measure of speed per unit produced
Any way at the end of the day the machine does Produce 1 record per 30 seconds per cavity we guess!
Well may be around the 32-34 seconds as no one has managed so far to make a high speed mould as good as the Alpha original
All moulds made today have no response on heat at less than 0.5-0.8 of a second at best and I have seen them taking 1+ seconds to respond, where the Alpha moulds will respond to 1-2 tenths of a second
Over the years we had just about all of the moulds ever made on our machines Apart from Fable moulds nothing else come near Alpha moulds in terms of response to heating and cooling as well as some crucial internal design features
The closest ever were the moulds produced back by RCA for the production of the first Video discs which where made on very very highly modified Alpha auto presses with their own design of moulds which did produce a very flat record at very high speed around the 22 second cycle
Thats the best speed I have ever heard of for the production of 12" records
If one looks at the actual movements of the press like opening, closing, moving labels in, and taking record out, as well as placing the puck than heating the moulds prior to the press closing it does make it a very fast process
Cheers
Chris

andybee

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:06 am

yes, absolutly right :)
22 seconds is really good for a 12inch record.
we just press 7inch with 22 seconds because of slow moulds and low steam pressure...
Some pressing plants push the steam to 13 bar, but PVC can be too hot then... yes, no?
What was so different with the alpha high speed moulds?
maybe another steal, another design?
Maybe it comes also from the compound, a lot of chemicals are not allowed anymore,
softeneres etc. what