Could this be the ideal material for record pressing?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Oldskoolhousehead

Could this be the ideal material for record pressing?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 am

Hello all, this is my first topic as a member. I have been searching for an alternative to pvc for record pressing for a while. I thought that reinforced polyester (anti-static and ultra violet resistant) could be a candidate. What do you think?

untitledthe

Re: Could this be the ideal material for record pressing?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 am

Hello Oldskoolhousehead, welcome!
As far as my knowledge goes polyester is a thermoharder instead of a thermoplast like pvc. Thermoharders stay in the shape they are and dont melt (eventually enough) to be used in record pressing proces, the stamper-mold of the record would be destroyed after just one cycle. Maybe you can look in the corner of HDPE if you want to fool around, enough on it on youtube. You can make yourself quite funny things if you got good molds. Reinforced (with fiberglass you mean i assume?) polyester is no fun to work with manually, a whole different proces and bad for your health. Maybe its something for the cutting engineers here on the forum to cut in the smooth side of a polyester disk perhaps, but not for pressing.

Oldskoolhousehead

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:00 am

Thank you, and thanks for the information you gave. Even though i'm pessimistic about the future of records, i want to do something good for record business. I admit, i have very little knowledge on this subject, but i still have some ideas to share. Thanks again.

Oldskoolhousehead

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:13 am

P.S: What i meant by reinforcement was the usage of different compounds which give extra features to polymers: resistance to static electric, sun light and wear. It would be nice to see (and buy) records which possess these features. Cheers.

untitledthe

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Maybe its more interesting (to me atleast) to talk about ''the best'' pvc formula etc for pressing records? Like GZ Media makes its own material as stated in some of their videos. Record Industry gets its material from a Dutch company. And while i was reading into the Mr.Cook recordpressing approach i learned that they would use powder PVC as a raw material, which deffinitly makes sence as their would be less energy needed to mold the record. But mentioned in these topics are regular record pressing plants that would use powder PVC also, and i would guess just throw it in the extruder? What would be the benefits of that? Easier life on the exruder, energy cuts?

Or check out this vid, interesting to;
mirror link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO1YHGmHGHc

mossboss

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:52 pm

The use of powder is of no significant benefit, besides it will require a twin screw extruder so as to blend properly
The other issue is that one has to add colour assuming other than back
Adding carbon black to powder is a messy dirty procedure uktimatelly covering everything in black shoot including the Guy that is adding it to the powder.
When that crap gets on you it takes days to come out of your skin even after showering 3 times a day
On another point every PVC compounder out there have to get their raw materials from almost a common source since it is a petroleum by product the refiners are the primary source
So no one who is offering PVC compound produces the raw materials, they just blend it according to a recipe they have so does GZ as well as the Dutch supplier and any other supplier out there
The difference is only in the additives used by each firm who supplies PVC compound for records.
In so far as other materials are concerned have no fear about the fact that it has not being attempted many years ago, results where disappointing
There are no new materials today that where not around back in the 80's unless I am not properly informed thermoplastic inventions have been very scarce although I am happy to be pointed to the right direction of any new materials which have been invented that may qualify.
Sure it would nice to have an alternative however one needs to keep in mind there has been some 60 plus odd years since PVC was used for the manufacture of records so there is. A huge knowledge base out there in its blending useage as well as the additives which go to make a nice sounding record
Best
Chris

Oldskoolhousehead

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Firstly, i thank you for the info. Secondly, i need to explain my thoughts clearly to you and the rest of the community. I visit a couple of dj forums from time to time. As far as i see, some digital only djs don't want to use vinyl records because a) they are heavy, b) they are exposed to dust, c) they wear out, d) they warp and e) they are expensive (in their own words). Now, please imagine a record which has none of these issues. Would digital only djs ( who are not djs at all in my opinion, but that's another issue) stop bashing records? Maybe. Maybe not. Or maybe they would find a midway ( there are djs who use vinyl and digital mediums simultaneously in their sets). That's why i came up with the idea of perfect material for record pressing. Well, maybe likeminded people will make it come true in the future. Maybe they won't... Thank you all for your patience. Cheers.

untitledthe

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Mate that time is gone, not a single dj is gonna go from digital to vinyl. When you have to fly and your box of records is lost at luggage you're screwed. When you come at the location and you have to struggle with your vinyl thrue a packed club is no fun either, people with drinks not expecting someone with a vinylcase throwing drinks around, yeah sorry what can i buy for that. Digital djs dont like it, fine. Its better you dont change just to please people. If dj's playing vinyl to you is important go and find it somewhere else. Their are dedicated vinyl events promoted as dj's playing vinyl as the main deal. In the music scene i was active in first of everthing was released on vinyl, later on the pioneer club cd players as you may know came in and everbody switched from vinyl ((releases) to keep it from a producer point of view)) todigital. So here you go, you have spend tons of time, money, gear just to get a release on itunes with a 200 x 200 pixels artwork picture beside the tracklist of your EP. Not even talking about benefits and royalties. If it sucks, and its important to you, move on. Im happy releasing my own vinyl records now, made a U-turn in music from peoples point of view but who cares. I wonder what those digital producers are gonna show their grandchilds when they are a old fart. I get it where you are coming from, it is a nice view seeing a dj at work with vinyl scratching an stuff but its just not practical in most cases nowadays. Move on to a subculture that still holds on to vinyl.

grae.area

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:23 am

a guy with a USB-stick and a "sync button" aint a DJ. If 60 EPs are too heavy to carry...ina trolley, then i dont think the person would be willing to spend 6hrs daily hunting decent music either..

lazy asses replaced DJs in most of the clubs around 2001/2, sadly the audience either didnt notice or simply didnt care..

just my 2 pennies ;) but, i'd still love to know the best supplier of the black compound (best, meaning flexible and fast so that one might order a formula suited for their production line)