Half Speed Mastering Demo

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

markrob

Half Speed Mastering Demo

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:12 am

Hi,

There was a heated debate recently in which several trolls (Kevin in particular), argued that half speed mastering is fundamentally flawed such that the lower octave would be lost. A Neumann document was provided along with some anecdotal evidence that in mastering shoot outs, the results have been lacking in the low frequency area. I argued that the head was not the limiting factor in any low frequency loss since it is able to respond down to DC. Kevin seemed to blow this off citing the fact that a speaker will deflect in response to a DC signal, but does not have acoustical output down to DC. While this is true, it has no bearing on the use of a moving coil transducer in regard to moving a stylus during a cutting operation.

I decided to put this to the test and I have produced a short video showing that is is indeed possible to cut very low frequencies onto a lacquer disc using a moving coil head. I recently sold my 6N, so I had to blow the dust off of my old home built lathe for the demo. Using a very crude setup, I was easily able to cut a very nice 5 Hz waveform at 16.66 RPM and verify its presence by playing it back at 78 RPM and displaying the spectrum (its too low to hear at 25 Hz).

I think this settles the matter, but I am open to any questions or other discussions on the subject.

Mark

opcode66

Re: Half Speed Mastering Demo

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:49 pm

I never said it wasn't absolutely possible to do.

I did say that it wasn't possible to cut half speed without loosing the bottom octave on a Neumann cutting system. You would have to completely rebuild the amplifier rack. Or at least the failsafe mechanisms built in. The circuit breaker will pop the drive line open if you feed a tone lower than 20hz into the amp rack. I've done it. I didn't have a high pass filter on. I was cutting live music. At the end of the music one of the players bumps into a microphone. Pop! Green Oper lamp is now off on the left channel and there goes a master lacquer...

No one is debating this on an academic level. We are debating this on a practical level. To do this with a SAL or VG amp rack would mean that you would need to have two racks. One setup to do half speed and one setup to do normal speed.

Additionally, this doesn't address the strain that keeping the knife deflected for that long puts on the coils in the cutterhead. That is a lot of power to maintain wide deflection for extended periods. I would have to say that would wear out your head faster.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

markrob

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:45 pm

opcode66 wrote:I never said it wasn't absolutely possible to do.

I did say that it wasn't possible to cut half speed without loosing the bottom octave on a Neumann cutting system. You would have to completely rebuild the amplifier rack. Or at least the failsafe mechanisms built in. The circuit breaker will pop the drive line open if you feed a tone lower than 20hz into the amp rack. I've done it. I didn't have a high pass filter on. I was cutting live music. At the end of the music one of the players bumps into a microphone. Pop! Green Oper lamp is now off on the left channel and there goes a master lacquer...

No one is debating this on an academic level. We are debating this on a practical level. To do this with a SAL or VG amp rack would mean that you would need to have two racks. One setup to do half speed and one setup to do normal speed.

Additionally, this doesn't address the strain that keeping the knife deflected for that long puts on the coils in the cutterhead. That is a lot of power to maintain wide deflection for extended periods. I would have to say that would wear out your head faster.
Hi Todd,

I know you didn't say that outright, but it seemed to be implied. Kevin sure did. He indicated that the process was fundamentally flawed.

The power required to cut this was, as I stated, about 1 Watt. No big deal. Peak current through each coil was about .5 amps. My head can actually handle about 5 watts RMS. If I ran a that power level, the deviation would have been more on the order of +/- .004" (+/-100 microns). The Ortphon DSS series heads are good to about +/-150 microns. I doubt there would be any undue strain on the head.

As far as practical vs. academic, we have MFSL doing this on a day to day basis. I'm sure they made the required mods to make it happen. I suspect you are correct that it would take some doing to design a system that would let you easily switch back and forth between full and half speed mastering. Also up for debate is the argument that the benefits of doing the mastering at half speed given the current state of the art are minimal. But, that's not what I take issue with. There was a definite stance taken that the low frequencies would be lacking in any attempt to master at half speed.

I'm hoping that we can now all agree that given the right electronics chain feeding the head, that there is no such limitation involved in half speed mastering.

Mark

mossboss

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:34 am

Todd is right and so are you Mark,
No need to go over the arguments as they have all been covered
The most important aspect that no one is looking at is springback which distorts the cut and that's where the crux of the matter lies
It is not a case where it can be done or not, further, the people at Neumann showed the way of half speed on the early systems
Besides, I have never argued about the limits of the electronics, As it is easy enough to correct/modify the cards on the standard rack
I did point out the " maxi cut" link which describes in good detail the way they did the modification on the vg66 cards so as to improve the pitch controller which did improve the system quite considerably Neumann incorporating these mods on the VMS 80 and of course the 82 which had added modules for the DMM copper blanks
The fact remains that half speed is the domain of a few people if few is the right word, as they most likely as I have already mentioned prior they have done the necessary mods so it can deliver
The fact remains that since lacquers are about the same since Adam was a boy the spring back issue will remain, unless of course these people who do it on an ongoing basis get their cutting styli also ground with the appropriate burnishing edges so as to overcome this issue, which in so far as Neumann was concerned at the time it was an unresolved situation not that one has a choice either
To be sure when vinyl was king and every cutting outfit competed at the highest level it was certainly not taken up as a standard method or not even as a "especially half speed cut" emblazoned on the album cover as the DMM logo was promoted at the time it was around
Well I have never seen one so if any of you guys out there have any albums that have that it would be a fist one for me if I was to see it
At any rate I really don't see what all this fuzz is all about regardless.
When it's all said and done and when one thinks about it, when one cuts at 16, and 1/3 RPM speed his lacquer is doing half speed in relation to a 33 and 1/3 so to do a half speed it's no big deal, it is easily accomplished as a standard on any vms machine
Also by getting the bsb modules out of the input chain than they will not trigger the overload at low frequency range as it does not take that much puff to do
Do I want to do that? or any one else for that matter? the few that decided that the bsb modules where limiting their range have found to their dismay that it certainly diminished their bank balance by a substantial amount for a head rewind, best way to smoke a head for sure
Let the half speed pundits go for it we just stick to the standards and half speed was never a standard by any stretch of the imagination
Who is going to argue about a cut as well as a record that it is to the published accepted by all and sundry standards?
Loud cuts and half speed 2/3 speed and all sorts of requests by clients out there are refused by us with a simple statement "Look we will do your job at the accepted standards there are people out there who will accommodate your request we will not veer from that" a case in point we refuses to do 7" at 33'1/3 as it is always a compromise and never a good result
so we just don't go away from the standards,
Simple.
Cheers
Chris

DjMikiRia

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Whatever anyone says about halfspeed, it should be noted that I "emboss" at .07 speed instead of 1.0 (the difference between 45 and 33) so the playback high end frequency response is better as the stylus has a better chance of indenting those high frequencies and it can more accurately be reproduced on playback. I learned that from a friend that made his own lathe as well.
Just adding my 2 yen in to help.

diamone

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Well, being we're continuing our so-far-seven-year research into half and 3/4 speed mastering - resurrecting CD-4 quadraphonic and 33-for-45 playback for DMM and any number of other odd and strange procedures that no `serious' mastering house will ever touch, we found out:

1. Ortofon made six test copies of a CD-4 half-speed DMM head and supposedly still has all the documentation for it of which we have been trying to secure copies for our own research and development.

2. Even though CD-4 was long since dead by 1984, as best as we can ascertain was that engineers there were using that system for just exactly that purpose - to see how much strain putting extended tones of ANY type on a head like that would result- and how much it could endure over long periods of use while still maintaining integrity on the lowest frrequencies which - going on the various half-speed lacquer-mastered titles cut thereon in the 70's - is fairly nonexistent otherwise why would they have been doing it everyday for years on end?

3. In a few weeks, we are supposed to be getting in one of the test pressings made therefrom back in 1984 just to see (or hear) what they did with it.

4. According to some notes - they either had two sets of racks for cutting - one for normal and one for special just like they had over at Quad Tech Mastering in Hollywood for a little while before they closed down when they were doing their own tests of half-speed cutting (albeit not on DMM). Or maybe it was the JVC Cutting Center in West Hollywood. I lose track - or else they just swapped out one set of modules for the next. It's a little hard to tell from what we have so far.

5. The guys we are working with now also want to try both Live to 45 cutting like the old Direct-to-Disc series in the 70's - but on DMM - and - to address the supposed bass contour problems of true half-speed mastering - also try 33-for-45 playback - also on DMM because of the necessity for the super long sides (>25 mins) - that a 20-minute album side would need if it were cut in such a fashion - i.e. if we don't want to spread the LP over four or six sides like the Audiophile 45-LP guys do - and see how that turns out.

Unfortunately, since there IS no DMM in the States anymore - none of us is a Scientologist - and everybody else in the industry who HAS it - has absolutely zero interest in returning to the 70's and 80's for these kinds of experiments - we are left once again to our own devices.

So - with our Federal grant money - the same people that fund studies about the reproductive habits of the tsetse fly - we're of course also still looking for our own DMM lathe (Neumann 82/84) or its' Ortofon equivalent so that we can conduct these and other experiments - and then once we are done and find out whether we get satisfactory results or not - go about servicing all these potential clients with all their odd requests that nobody else wants to tolerate.

There's already record pressing plants like Erika who will fab up any number of off-the-wall items for customers - so eventually we'd like to be able to be one of the aforementioned off-the-wall mastering houses that can cut all these strange masters to a customer's perfection and holding a sort of reverse-to-standard philosophy, i.e. : There's plenty of mastering, plating and pressing houses that will do a 12 inch 33 or a 7 inch 45 , but we leave that to them and specialize in this type of scenario.

As such - any supportive ideas or assistance would be welcome.
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)

flozki

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:13 pm

diamone. maybe you should once plan a trip to switzerland.

i have a vms82. i did a few years of dmm cutting.(although i totally dont like the dmm process.all the fun of cutting records is missing if you cut dmm)
i have a vinylium ultracut system. this one has full half speed support from scratch. so all time constants are switchable.
got the dmm styliis and a few SX84s which are waiting to be repaired.

so i will have possibility to cut dmm if we need .not right now.
but if planed for tests and research it should be possible.
especially for half spped. i just dont know how good the chip suction and cutting geometry will work for half speed.

by the way i once bought that jvc quad amp. and then i sold to dave manley about 8-10 years ago.
not rocked science those amps.... maybe i still have the schematics. but i dont know where they are right no. so not that sure
but i recapped and tested those amps....

opcode66

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:29 pm

FYI, I will be producing DMM cutting styli in 2014. Two variety. One standard. One with my new tip design.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

diamone

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:39 pm

flozki wrote:diamone. maybe you should once plan a trip to switzerland.
Yeh I always wanted to take the official Sound of Music Filming Locations Tour.
Oh, wait, that's Austria. Well Switzerland is next door.
Maybe I can go on the Heidi tour.
flozki wrote:i have a vms82.
Cool.
flozki wrote:although i totally dont like the dmm process as all the fun of cutting records is missing if you cut dmm
if by ``all the fun'' you mean ``all the organic warmth and character that goes in'' i totally agree - but then im not the audiophiles with the titanium ears that keep telling me ``if you cut a 80-120 micron groove into a DMM instead of the normal shallow 50-60, then you can still get better signal to noise ratio than a lacquer without having all that cellulose grain getting between you and your music''. Which to be fair I have read numerous different versions of this in any number of well-circulated audiophile rags, but me personally, having learned what I know of the craft after apprenticing for four years in the early 90's with Len Horowitz - shows me that at least the DMM I know sounds brittle and harsh - like taking a master produced for LP and cutting a CD glass from it just as it is.

I have the German Teldec DMM of the Chess concept album - as well as the German lacquer-mastered version of the same album - both in mint condition - and on the lacquer version, you can indeed hear not only LP vinyl grain noise, but also supposedly the nitrocellulose grain as well contributing to the noise floor - whereas the DMM is STONE SILENT like a CD - and not only A) has the 80-120 micron grooves we're talking about (especially on Side 4) - and almost doesn't HAVE a noise floor because you can blast the runoff grooves at maximum through a McIntosh tube amp driving Tannoy monitors and hear N-O-T-H-I-N-G where if you try that with the lacquer-mastered version, you hear all manner of noise.
flozki wrote:i did a few years of dmm cutting and i have a vinylium ultracut system. this one has full half speed support from scratch. so all time constants are switchable.
Well I think out of all these projects, it might be wise to start with the 33-mastering-for-45-playback first, since it's the one project with the least modifications needed to make it work - and also has the least amount of new and/or scarce equipment required.

Normal, two-channel stereo (or MAYBE just matrix-encoded surround) - this kind of project - if marketed to the audiophile community properly ``All the Benefits of DMM, Super-Sonic 45 RPM Playback and Half-Speed-Mastering Without the Bass Contour Problems'' or some such - might be just the ticket to get off the ground with the REST of the projects.
flozki wrote:got the dmm styliis and a few SX84s which are waiting to be repaired.
i know Len repairs Westrex and Presto but I don't know about Neumann. i think he tells people to send to bavaria and some guy there repairs `em.
flozki wrote:so i will have possibility to cut dmm if we need .not right now.
well this isn't going to get off the ground tomorrow anyway or anything close to it - so maybe it will all jell up at the same time which would be nice.
flozki wrote:but if planned for tests and research it should be possible.especially for half speed. i just dont know how good the chip suction and cutting geometry will work for half speed.
well that's why we're trying to do some more research on these ortofon tests from the middle 80's - find out if their DMM blanks were any different from the average formulation or if their copper layers were thicker or their cutting styli were different or the vacuum system or who knows what.
flozki wrote:by the way i once bought that jvc quad amp. and then i sold to dave manley about 8-10 years ago. not rocked science those amps.... maybe i still have the schematics. but i dont know where they are right now. so not that sure but i recapped and tested those amps....
Nice.
opcode66 wrote:FYI, I will be producing DMM cutting styli in 2014. Two variety. One standard. One with my new tip design.
Well maybe we can all three get together - at least virtually at first - and maybe you guys can see if anybody has the design schematics, specs and other research from the ortofon DMM heads that were produced but never released - being at least you are on the same side of the planet as they.

However, there don't seem to be any more CD-4 Quadulators (quadraphonic modulators) left in operational or restorable status anymore - only a handful of schematics. But then - even if we DID have one either in operational or restorable status.

Then the NEXT question would be - even if we found one and/or restored it - how well would it work just as it is with no 21st Century modifications allowing for more modern technology that's been advanced since CD-4 was in its' heyday?

Lou Dorren's new research and development over the past five years for his modern edition of the CD-4 DEmodulator and as well as the new stylus and cartridge designs WOULD prove helpful - but not if we can't get anybody to take that DEmodulator research and create a new MODULATOR out of it.

Like we said - the handful of guys that we KNOW would be able to mod this out to the max - are either maxed out on their own projects, too ill and/or elderly to be able to do anything about it, or not interested in the first place.
16RPMSeeburgMan wrote:What about transferring all the Seeburg, RoweAMI and all the other specialized 16-RPM nine-inch program discs with the 2-inch center hole made for the Seeburg BMS 1000 and its' various clones?
Well - since cutting real-time at 16 RPM on DMM would boost the high end the same as recording with Dolby and leaving it off for playback - creating what might become wider-range reissues than the originals - some of which - as the 70's and early 80's progressed - were cut at 33 for playback at 16 just as the Talking Books for the Blind were mastered - some destined for playback down as far as 8 RPM - that might be something that can raise money to do our OWN experiments.
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)

diamone

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05 am

from the other thread: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4096
...Or - being opcode66 already making his own Neumann replacement styli in Chicago - maybe HE can research the ortofon tips for the DMM heads they had six experimental versions of back in the 80's and see if THAT'S even worth pursuing or not.

Would like to know how he's been testing the new styli with no DMM lathes left in America anymore except for Scientology in California.

If he DOES have a DMM lathe and/or a better source of high quality blanks (read about it in the other thread) then maybe we can all three put our heads together and see what comes out.

opcode66

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:50 pm

I have no interest in making styli that are specific to only 6 cutterheads.

I have interest in making a Neumann DMM tip mostly for curiosity. Mostly because I feel my shop does work that rivals anything from any part of Europe. And, because I feel that my new tip configuration might be beneficial for cutting metal. Though this is mostly conjecture at this point. I will be supplying tips to actual DMM lathe users. They will be tested on copper discs.

FYI, my long shank prestos are in and going very quickly!

diamone

Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:35 pm

opcode66 wrote:I have no interest in making styli that are specific to only 6 cutterheads.
We were hoping to cop the designs thereof - improve where necessary and make a complete production run.
opcode66 wrote:I have interest in making a Neumann DMM tip mostly because I feel my shop does work that rivals anything from any part of Europe. And, because I feel that my new tip configuration might be beneficial for cutting metal. I will be supplying tips to actual DMM lathe users. They will be tested on copper discs.
See if Flozki wants one. He's doing a lot of DMM testing, setup and fabrication of his own. And depending if you are actually making them yourself or just designing it and sending it in for fabrication - maybe once we get all the original designs and the rest of the grant funding for it, maybe we can end up using you and/or whatever fabricator made these new DMM styli for you - to make our Ortofons for us. Or make an Ortofon-to-Neumann adaptor and apply the Ortofon experiemtal designs to the Neumann and see what that ends up as.
opcode66 wrote:Though this is mostly conjecture at this point
As is ours. Hence the experiments.