i need to create a steel record

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

vinyl_retentive

i need to create a steel record

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:54 pm

I have a client who wants to create a playable record made from steel. Has anyone seen such a record? Is this even a possibility? Price is not an issue.

opcode66

Re: i need to create a steel record

Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:28 pm

A master lacquer can be cut. Then, electroplated once to make a negative. Then that negative can be electroplated again to make a positive. The positive could then be trimmed down to normal record size. It would only be one sided. And, it would be made of nickel. But, it would look like a shiny metal record. Same as what you see framed hanging on the wall at big labels/studios.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

mossboss

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Sure thing 100%
What's next?
Cheers
Chris

45rpmdude

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:11 pm

[username][/username] There is such a kind of disk. theyr really old though. i would think sheeting aluminum would work. but steel is much thicker.. so go for it. I would think finding a blank to cut this very difficult cause i would think a steel needle would dull rather quickly. not pretty sure but its what i think. hope this helps ...

opcode66

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Can I ask why it has to be steel? Why wouldn't a regular nikel electroplated mother be okay?
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

tragwag

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:09 am

there were some embossed aluminum discs, for instantaneous recordings between the wax and lacquer eras.
it was short lived and required a lot of downward force, I've never seen one though PIAPTK and Kris D have mentioned it before.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

vinyl_retentive

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:40 pm

The artist has a collection of guns taken from violent armed conflicts from around the globe. They want to "melt down" the guns and create a record from them.
The idea arose to gather some nickel shavings from some of the guns to add to the plating solution then create a backing plate for the male stamper from the gun steel to add to the weight of the project.
I was checking this site to find out if its feasible. Now I am researching the cost. I will have to photo document the complete process.