recording blanks

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

45rpmdude

recording blanks

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:10 am

Hi lathe trolls.. gerry here. It been tough looking for blanks online. unless you use
Appollo, or transco..You could go down to your local autozone and pick up some paint laquer and you can use steel as a chore and paint on it.

Or you can use cardbaord wich i choose to do so. I ve been experimenting and the word laquer means nothing.. unless your looking for a glass clear enamel spray. which theyre both different in either way. so the word lauqur had been used to fool you into thinbking its laquer,, when in reality what your really looking for is i think.. Poly eurothane. So im trying some on a cereal box. i wish to bring cereal box records back if even in limited form. If this works i may have blanks for my radio program. Not sure so stand by. Oh and do becareful cause poly eurothane is very flamable. even the voice o graph records say that too. thats very simmilar also.. get the hintt..

I may try poster board as well, cause i want that authenic real disk look. but theyll have no lables.. you can get them online though or so ive seen. You can make them yourself to save money. i just use whats around the house.

ROLANDJAYS

Re: recording blanks

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:43 am

so you have made a mold, and your pouring laquer into it?
and that works?

piaptk

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:20 am

Lacquers are made from nitrocellulose.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

45rpmdude

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:29 pm

im using canned poly eurathane. and paint brushes.. just painting the cardboard.

at least 3 coats.. 1 per day 1 coat dries approxy. 8 hours.. Note this must be made in a dust free room.

..but i perfer clear coats right now.. Key word Google Acrylic and see what comes up,..

widepeeka cardboard record..