SL-12xx PSU

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

handcut

SL-12xx PSU

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi All,

I'm interested to hear if any cutters using Technics SL-12xx-based systems have experimented with moving the mains transformer from the turntable to an external enclosure. I've just done this and figured I may as well add an RC filter network and switch to a discrete rectifier while I'm at it to remove all AC from the turntable plinth. Haven't cut with this set-up yet as I'm moving house, but it has made a noticable difference to the sound of playback. I'm no audiophile, but I'm *very* familiar with the sound of these 'tables.

I'm curious whether the transformer in stock 12xx's has any effect on the cutterhead coils. It's shielded, but its a pretty chunky trannie and sits directly beneath the cutterhead on such systems. Food for thought...

opcode66

Re: SL-12xx PSU

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Well, it is not quite directly below. But, close. The Vinyl recorder and Vinylium have the cutterhead traverse over a path that is next to, but not quite over the transformer in the turntable.

I think you are missing the forest for the trees. The transformer is not the only source of interference for the cutterhead. The cutterhead is on a direct crash course with the center spindle. The center spindle is at the center of a BLDC motor. The magnet for which is a ring that surrounds the center spindle on the bottom of the platter. Beneath the ring are the large coils that create the pulsing EM field that causes the ring to rotate and therefore the platter. The point being, there is a lot of EM interference that moving the transformer won't resolve....
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio