A newcomer seeks wisdom, DIY LATHE from scratch

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Bahndahn

A newcomer seeks wisdom, DIY LATHE from scratch

Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:05 am

Hello,

I am a new member here, my first post in fact, and am plummeting forward in lathe-construction research - I will begin a build soon.

I want to create something that will really work without a whole lot of 'jim-jamming'. Thus, great plans, lots of research, and response from all of the amazing people on this site will be instrumental.

Here is what I want to accomplish:

-build a robust and compact lathe intended for PVC or polycarbonate.

-keep the 'large-scale' experimentation to a minimum, or, not have to machine the same aluminium parts twice etc.

I have:

-full blown access to a metal shop with all the fixings [not computer controlled plasma cutting, but plasma cutters nonetheless]

-full blown access to a fine woodworking shop

-3D printer and scanner

-Welders and soldering iron

-lots of experience in electroacoustic theory and practice, lots of DIY circuit fun

-uncanny ambition!

What I want to gather:

-what really really has worked out?! Namely, cutterheads; in your experience, what has been profoundly successful? keep in mind, I want to cut the harder stuff.

-Drivers, materials, feedback ideas, suspension experience and outcome etc.

Also, do you think this surface transducer would work in a stereo cutterhead design? Why, why not? How does 'power' translate in the drivers of said apparatus?

http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/SPK%252dTRANS%252dL--Surface-Transducer-%252d-Large.html

Thanks!!

markrob

Re: A newcomer seeks wisdom, DIY LATHE from scratch

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:54 am

Hi,

Welcome to the group. There is quite a bit of DIY stuff going on here, so dig in! As far as a complete proven working DIY design, I'm afraid that does not exist. However, give the equipment and skills you seem to have, you should be able to get something up and running. The limitations are your budget and how much effort you are willing to put into the project. If you go into this thinking you will need to do a minimum work and re-work, with little or no experimentation on your part, I'd drop the project and purchase a 6N or other solution.

The driver you linked to might be a good choice. You need to get a few and run some experiments to see. The spec sheet provided does not have enough info to help much. The parameters you care about are:

BL product (how much force per amp of drive current)
Moving mass
Ease of mechanical coupling
Power handling

Only power handling is specified in the datasheet and this is a bit vague (no RMS continuous rating).

Good luck with the project.

Mark

Bahndahn

Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:29 pm

Thank you for the welcome!

Indeed a full design would be rather utopian to ask, however I am looking only for some good advice on things like transducers that have been highly effective, DIY feedback tips, etc. I can certainly handle gantry-type design elements, the tricky stuff is in obviously the cutterhead.

Tips on suspension of cutterhead?

Has anyone made DIY 'dual torque tube' like those seen on the VRs cutterhead?

Is anyone willing to offer any insight on DIY diamond cutting? Has anyone built a diamond cutting 'spinner'?

Is there a metal similar to solder that cools a little more firmly for some 'pseudo weld' type fixtures?

Has anyone found a more accessible stylus material for 'harder plastics' than diamond? What else works? Can any metals successfully cut said plastics well?

opcode66

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Ummmmm. How much of the forum have you read? Seems like you should really start by using the search feature. A lot of this has been covered endlessly in other threads. Also, there is a ton of great information in the Experimenters section from myself and mark and bryan regarding cutterhead construction and mounting.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

ROLANDJAYS

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 am

well many of us are trying out ideas for DIY lathes.
I have already tried those transducers. the spring was too stiff and too large for my taste.....
but see for yourself anyways...goodluck

EpicenterBryan

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:55 pm

ROLANDJAYS wrote: I have already tried those transducers. the spring was too stiff and too large for my taste.....
Hi Rolandjays,
I think you have mentioned you have a machine shop. I wonder if you had played with making new springs for those? They do look interesting.

Bryan

Bahndahn

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 pm

opcode66 wrote:Ummmmm. How much of the forum have you read? Seems like you should really start by using the search feature. A lot of this has been covered endlessly in other threads. Also, there is a ton of great information in the Experimenters section from myself and mark and bryan regarding cutterhead construction and mounting.
opcode66: Indeed I have been digging intensely through the forums and through many relatable patents available; I is misleading the reception of my post as one who does not do individual research, rather my intent was to stimulate a sort of 'reflective dialog'. Perhaps: "I worked on a spring-pressurized suspension system initially and later decided to work with a weight system after many problems came about", "mechanically coupled feedback was more work than it was worth in my project, I decided to implement an exclusively electronic version as documented here:" etc.. I figured some newcomers like myself get some accelerating tips although it may not be practical.

On another note, would you care to share your process regarding diamond sharpening?

Thanks for your tips and great documentation opcode66 :)
ROLANDJAYS wrote:well many of us are trying out ideas for DIY lathes.
I have already tried those transducers. the spring was too stiff and too large for my taste.....
but see for yourself anyways...goodluck
ROLANDJAYS: What is the functional deficit when a spring is too tight [objectively and subjectively]? Have you found a nice alternative? Thanks for the warning.

opcode66

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:30 pm

I think the point to be made is that you are asking for a novel in a thread. That isn't going to happen. To properly answer all of you queries, one would have to write a book. No one on the forum has time for that. In fact, there are really only a handful of us that actually take the time to write well thought out and informative replies. And, the amount of participation we freely give is as much as we can handle I think. So, no, I'm not going to write a book for you here in this thread. No one will. If you want to call me and ask questions, that is easier. I can do that while doing other things.

I contract a company to make my diamonds. My advice to you is to do the same. This is a family business. They have been doing this forever. They have the tools, the know how and the experience. I wouldn't attempt diamond grinding and record cutting or inventing record cutting gear concurrently. Each requires a lot of focus and money. Unless you have unlimited time and resources, I would suggest sticking to one or the other. And, just buy diamonds from me.

Contrary to what others might think or assume, the price I'm asking for my diamonds represents less than a $50 markup. I am asking what it costs to make them with a small markup. If you think you are going to be making diamonds for less on your own, you are sadly mistaken. The price I'm offered represents a volume discount. The company making them is charging me near cost on their end. If you factor the startup costs, materials, machinery, time, effort, and wasted diamonds getting the process correct you will be in waaaaaaayyyyyy over your head. Best to let someone already doing this as a business handle the work. My 2 cents.

Again, if you want to call me, I can explain the process of making my diamonds. Also, if you search, you will find posts where I explain the process. Search for keyword diamond and author of opcode66.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

Bahndahn

Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:06 pm

opcode66 wrote:I think the point to be made is that you are asking for a novel in a thread. That isn't going to happen. To properly answer all of you queries, one would have to write a book. No one on the forum has time for that. In fact, there are really only a handful of us that actually take the time to write well thought out and informative replies. And, the amount of participation we freely give is as much as we can handle I think. So, no, I'm not going to write a book for you here in this thread. No one will. If you want to call me and ask questions, that is easier. I can do that while doing other things.

I contract a company to make my diamonds. My advice to you is to do the same. This is a family business. They have been doing this forever. They have the tools, the know how and the experience. I wouldn't attempt diamond grinding and record cutting or inventing record cutting gear concurrently. Each requires a lot of focus and money. Unless you have unlimited time and resources, I would suggest sticking to one or the other. And, just buy diamonds from me.

Contrary to what others might think or assume, the price I'm asking for my diamonds represents less than a $50 markup. I am asking what it costs to make them with a small markup. If you think you are going to be making diamonds for less on your own, you are sadly mistaken. The price I'm offered represents a volume discount. The company making them is charging me near cost on their end. If you factor the startup costs, materials, machinery, time, effort, and wasted diamonds getting the process correct you will be in waaaaaaayyyyyy over your head. Best to let someone already doing this as a business handle the work. My 2 cents.

Again, if you want to call me, I can explain the process of making my diamonds. Also, if you search, you will find posts where I explain the process. Search for keyword diamond and author of opcode66.
opcode66: I don't mean to waste your time with re-writes of pre-established content, I was only looking for some directional finger pointing, of which I have received, thankfully. In my initial research I focused very much on reading and understanding vintage patents; approaching this blog seemed very very noisy at first so I posted to get some direction. I am getting the hang of this system.

It is a highly generous of you to offer your time on phone, thank you. When I reach a high level of specificity, I may take you up on that.

This particular thread has served its purpose.

opcode66

Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Do you have the AES Anthonlogy?

http://www.aes.org/publications/anthologies/downloads/jaes_disk-anthology-1.pdf

I think it has a lot of what you are wanting.

I just PM'd you my number.
temp_draes001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bahndahn

Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:27 pm

opcode66 wrote:Do you have the AES Anthonlogy?

http://www.aes.org/publications/anthologies/downloads/jaes_disk-anthology-1.pdf

I think it has a lot of what you are wanting.

I just PM'd you my number.
temp_draes001.jpg
Thank you for the resources, this publication is the most useful comprehensive documentation - invaluable.

Bahndahn

Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Here is another [chiefly beginner, somewhat outdated] resource I have come across: The Recording and Reproduction of Sound that is available for free. This has answered many of my initial questions.

Beginners and pros alike this seems worth a look if you haven't already:

http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/read_recording.pdf