DIY or Die

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

leethal

DIY or Die

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:01 am

I've been compiling: forum info, youtube clips, oldschool patents, google images, supplier stock sheets, competitor info, and and home sketches of condensed applications of production equipment. I've been networking with investor types, sound and graphic savvy band acquaintances, also philanthropistic engineers. I'm still only scratching the surface of what there is to know (obviously), and will continue to add to my vinyl pressing bible....with or without your help. Each colored tab on the white folder is a vital troll recipe. Of course lessons will be costly and frustrating, but then so is my girlfriend.

ps someone please offer me an internship/work experience/apprenticeship in a proper (australian) pressing plant..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

recordboy

Re: DIY or Die

Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:57 pm

Maybe some day you should publish your findings... Seems ur on yr way to success...

-cheers
Cheers,
recordboy

leethal

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:02 am

I figured early on that unrelenting trawling of troll topics is a rite of passage, otherwise all the gilded scriptures would be bookmarked at the top of each section.

I'll gladly share with other newbs what I've hunted and gathered. If you are mad enough to sell off your worldly possessions to finance this fantasy as I have, I salute you.

At first I thought the gurus here were kinda snobby, but I presume now that they are vastly outnumbered by quiet achievers and secret squirrels. All the topic views is no representation of elitism, however patience isnt my strong point. The art of pressing vinyl, it seems, is like some lost language that only a few old timers keep alive, if only for themselves.

I sure wish someone would publish the be all and end all of the vinyl record trade. Its such a remarkable process, I cant believe the originators looked at their design and decided it was a viable form of mass production...from start to finish this game is f@#kin retarded, but worthy. I read a newspaper article about a vinyl guru who called it a filthy dirty disgusting unforgiving trade, I've said that about cheffing for 20 years but theres still a part of me that takes pride.

Anyway I wanna press my punk bands onto wax with nothing but hard work determination (and a heap of cash). For me the essence of punk is the diy attitude in the face of adversity, and releasing my own 7"s is about as punk rock as it gets.

Snakeheadfishlab

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:52 am

That's how Ian did it with dischord,go get it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

45rpmdude

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:49 pm

there is plent of this kind of stuff to do in ohio. you have to move to usa though,,