modifying a dictation cylinder / time lapse

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

modifying a dictation cylinder / time lapse

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:08 pm

a simple way to turn a useless artifact into a useable recording blank. i buy these old moldy dictation cylinders for a few dollars each. shave them and modify them for use on the Edison cylinder phonograph.

these are the best recording blanks available, high quality original Edison recording blanks. i have a standing offer, if one of these cylinders ever wear out i rerecord them for free. to date i have recorded over 3,000 cylinders and have never had one returned because it wore out.

total time to make this modification is slightly over 10 minutes...

dimi751

Re: modifying a dictation cylinder / time lapse

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:33 pm

It's pretty cool that you can shave the cylinders a few times and re-cut again I did not realise this could be done.

THEVICTROLAGUY

Re: modifying a dictation cylinder / time lapse

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:11 am

An average cylinder can be used upwards of 20 times, depending on the depth of the cut and amount of material required to be removed to erase it. a full size ediphone dictation cylinder can be shaved upwards of 100 times...