Project "Groove Scribe"- A DYI stereo 45/45 head.

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Snug Music

Re: Project "Groove Scribe"- A DYI stereo 45/45 head.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:44 am

hey Saku, yes I can understand! There are people, which have such good ears that they no aids such as "need oscilloscope or the like!" I probably good ears, experimenting and trying to find out by trying things. now, but I'm also about (because it is easier and simply saves time!) to work with instruments! here probably everyone has his own way of working. regards Scotty 8) :wink: :wink:
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

EpicenterBryan

Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:03 pm

Hey guys,
The last time I made coils for Groove Scribe I did a video on the coil winder I built. Some of you might find it useful.

The aluminum extrusion I used to build this machine is called V-slot. It's available from http://OpenBuilds.com. Be sure to check out their YouTube channel for some really cool projects:
https://www.youtube.com/user/OpenBuilds

A few parts may also have been purchased from http://Inventables.com as well. You can also check out their YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/inventables .

The program I mentioned is called Gcoil and is free. However, the Gcode needed for this task is simple enough you can write it yourself assuming you have a basic understanding of Gcode.
Bryan

Radardoug

Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Cool video Bryan! Really well done!

EpicenterBryan

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:31 pm

Groove Scribe is actually mounted and ready for a test cut!
The counter balance in the back has been changed since this aluminum head and the extra magnetic shielding has added a bunch of weight compared to the plastic body version.
IMG_4509.JPG
I know some of you guys think the LED's inside the head is totally for the "cool factor", but they are not!
I have found that having a light source makes several adjustments much easier to make.

Let's look at this one as an example... How to make sure the head mounting is set so the stylus is exactly perpendicular to the cutting surface. What we are looking at is the head and stylus nearly touching the surface of a blank disk. And in the reflection of the disc we see the same image. If the head was not at exactly the correct angle, the line between the stylus and the reflection (as viewed below) would be something other than zero - or a straight line. In this shot, you should see two stylus tips meeting at the disc surface, and the angle between them is zero.
IMG_4503.JPG
The same light source is useful from the side to set the rake - or cutback angle. Hard to tell from this view, but that's near zero.
IMG_4506.JPG
Anyway, Led lighting when you are planning your DIY head build is very useful... Be sure to plan for that! It will make your life so much easier when set up time comes....

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sillitoe

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:56 pm

Nice one Bryan!
The lighting looks really great and very useful.

James

studiorp

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:50 am

Very good idea the light inside the cutting head, compliments ! Best wishes for you cuts !

Snug Music

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:51 am

hey Bryan, I agree with the posting of Sillitoe. This is made really awesome ... perfect!
Regards Scotty :wink:
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

EpicenterBryan

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 am

Hey guys,
Here is a private video that will self district in a few days. It discusses some problems that may be resolved shortly (or not) and is intended only for people who regularly follow this thread.

The video will take about 1/2 hour to be live from this post time.

Here is the link:
https://youtu.be/lZlTjksl6Vs

Goodnight.

Bryan

Thelurker

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:38 am

Hi Bryan

Cool update!

I have a couple of suggestions. In regards to the head touching the vacuum and you loosing cutting space, why don't you ditch the vacuum for now and just use a "Souri style" disc clamp!

These are just a very thin disc, only thick enough to thread a hex bolt on the side to lock onto the centre spindle. This will allow you to cut normally with a standard lead-out.

Your other issue in regards to the interference from your freq adjuster, I've had similar issues in the past and I've overcome these by shielding the offending components/boards. First of all, try sticking the lid back on your pre amp, also try and rehouse each board inside the pre amp into they're own enclosures etc. You'll be surprised on what a difference it will make.

Regards

markrob

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:28 am

Hi Bryan,

You are really getting close. Looking at the video, it seems to me, that running the motor direct from the AC mains will not be that far off for the purposes of testing. I saw 59.4 Hz as the freq needed to achieve 45 RPM. That's only 1% error. Not great, but usable. Why not try running the motor without the VFD and see if you still have noise issues. If not, then make some test cuts and worry about the head geometry later. After all, if the head works well, then you'll have the motivation to solve that problem.

I'm not so sure moving the drive to the next room will solve the EMI issue. Remember, the motor leads will have high current PWM on them. That may well be a large factor in the amount of interference generated.

Mark

EpicenterBryan

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Thelurker wrote:why don't you ditch the vacuum for now and just use a "Souri style" disc clamp!
That's an idea! It sounds like a drill bit stop with an allen set screw.
Thelurker wrote:First of all, try sticking the lid back on your pre amp
I tried that this AM and it has no effect.
markrob wrote:That's only 1% error. Not great, but usable. Why not try running the motor without the VFD and see if you still have noise issues.
That's the way I'll go for now. I'll just adjust playback speed until I get 1Khz from the turntable. And I still have the option to install my servo belt setup. I wanted to try another belt configuration, so I put that on the back burner until the head was done. Always something.

It's interesting that leaving the VFD running but unplugging the lathe makes the noise go away totally. And having the lathe connected to the VFD even when the lathe motor and internal microscope transformer off still causes the noise. I also tried a ground wire from Caruso Massimo to the lathe, and then also to the VFD and there was only a slight drop in noise. The FB wires are twisted shielded pair. The shield is only terminated on the Caruso Massimo side, and dead ended on the head side.

BTW - I did a bench audio test with music and listened to the feedback monitor Friday night. I also loaded the stylus holder to simulate cutting. I'll hold off on any opinions and let you guys decide when we hear an actual cut.

The suspense is killing me.

Bryan

tragwag

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:41 pm

looks good! kudos on the led to help with the mirroring thing, I try to look for the reflection when aligning stylus but it is much improved by your LEDs and lacquer mirror.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Radardoug

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:08 pm

Brian, those VFD drives often need the cabling shielded, and it depends how good the output filter is.
There is another alternative. Get a grunty linear power amplifier that you can run in bridge mode to get 120 vac. Then feed a regular oscillator into it.

ROLANDJAYS

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 am

cool winding machine ! I use that aluminum extrusion too, they call it 8020 where I get it .
ill send you some of the special wire for the coils :wink:

EpicenterBryan

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:53 pm

ROLANDJAYS wrote:I use that aluminum extrusion too, they call it 8020 where I get it .
8020 is a brand name. None of their products have the V shape that you can use with wheels. That's unique to V-Slot.

sakuszi

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:42 am

Great sound. So I suspected, everything great, a lot of work sensational final result, beautiful backlight, everything great. I can only dream of. Great respect ! I look forward to the next record, that's all. :shock: :shock: :D :D :roll: :D

Sillitoe

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:00 am

sakuszi wrote:Great sound. So I suspected, everything great, a lot of work sensational final result, beautiful backlight, everything great. I can only dream of. Great respect ! I look forward to the next record, that's all. :shock: :shock: :D :D :roll: :D
What did you like best about the sound Sakuszi??? :lol:

sakuszi

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:05 am

Silitone ,beautiful silence, no noise :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D

Sillitoe

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:31 am

sakuszi wrote:Silitone ,beautiful silence, no noise :D :D :D :mrgreen: :D
So you actually watched the video then?
You were joking?
Or are you the new lathetrolls sociopath???

Lots of work, nice work Bryan!

Cheers
Silitone :D

sakuszi

Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:58 am

elementary decency, head Brayan does not work well :| it must be said, these speakers are not good, not at all fit on the head. :|