Cutting on CDs

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Cutting on CDs

Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Anyone cut on Cds very often? I've got two of my lathes cutting (embossing) cds just fine, but for some reason, my other two just won't. As soon as you put the needle down, it just starts squealing, where as the two that work are perfectly silent. Everything APPEARS to be the same. The needles are fine (they cut great on lacquers). I'm really confused. Any ideas?
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

fraggle

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:37 pm

I tried to cut on cds with my modified kingston wit a diamond and it sounded like crap i would say 60 background noise 40 sound:)
cheers

aaron

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:35 pm

I have a home brew lathe, it's basically an overhead mechanism mounted on a piece of wood and you put a turntable underneath it. I'm not sure if this is what's happening with you, but I've had problems cutting if the turntable was in a position where the stylus wasn't intersecting the center of the record.... like if the turntable was too far forward or backward.

piaptk

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:55 am

Actually, I think what might have been my problem was that the needle was TOO sharp... might also have been a weight issue... I don't have stylus pressure scale or anything and have just been adjusting the spring by feel... the springs are probably different, and therefore put more/less weight on it. Not sure.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com