cutting vinyl with DBX II compander

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

studiorp

cutting vinyl with DBX II compander

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:16 am

Hey people, is there someone here that have cut vinyl with DBX II system to eliminate all noise of surface ?
Thanks and cheers to all.

markrob

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi,

Never tried this, but I have a few of the commercial DBX encoded disks in my collection. I used to have the DBX 21 decoder, but years ago, I conveted into a poor man's compressor. I think I still have the schematic to the DBX 224 somewhere. Should be no problem to do as long as you have the encode/decode. IIRC, some of the pre-emphasis curves and RMS detector characteristics were modfied as compared to the tape based noise reduction systems to deal with the low freq rumble components present on a disk. There was a competing system by CBS called CX that used a similar compress/expand method but was not as radical and was touted as being able to be played back without a decoder (dubious at best).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CX_(audio)

These all failed in the marketplace because CD's soon appeared.

Mark

studiorp

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Yes, exactly Mark, there were some DBX vinyl discs in 80-90 years, too I have one of 1973...
I have written on the post DBX II , because all Dbx discs, casettes, were encoded with this consumer system, but my dream is cut discs with Dbx type I pro ( 150X for example ) that I use regurarly on my tape recorders, as Pcm encoders with vhs or audio cassette systems, or to reel to reel, but for me the best is Pcm, no noise, it's digital and the sound is similar to tube amps, no as dat sound that is cold, too better than cd, certainly, but in each case is for me cold than pcm...
Could be interesting cut with this system, so finally too vinyl will haven't more noise...
Then the advantage ( is a my idea, so I don't know if is possible to do ) could be that normally when a person cut a vinyl, must utilize a compressor or limiter, but with Dbx compander is not necessary, because when you are recording Dbx works as compressor, and when you will play the result of cut the Dbx works as expander, so no necessary other equipment...
Cheers.
Raffaello.

markrob

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi,

You should have no problems doing that, but you will be one of the few that will be able to play the disks back. As long as its for your own use, I'd say have at it. If you intend to use the decoder after a standard phono pre-amp, you will still need to add RIAA after the encoder. Also, you may need to place a sharp high pass filter ahead of the decoder to make sure that low frequency rumble does not cause any issues. I suspect that you can cut at lower levels since you will have such a large dynamic range. This makes it easier on the playback as far as tracking goes.

Mark