V1.0 of Bryan's 3D printed head with feedback

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

inspector77

Re: V1.0 of Bryan's 3D printed head with feedback

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:35 am

Here we can see a V spring connected to two piano wires, is the same idea that you are using.

opcode66

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:56 am

Look familiar???

The only thing you don't see is the wire that is embedded within the rubber damper.

They are called leaf springs. Not a V spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Bahndahn

Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:05 am

Thank you for sharing your knowledge Todd, Bryan, and others. Great work on your head Bryan, I'm very curious about the test rips and your other findings.

I am very excited to produce my lathe next week, I will document the process on a new thread.

@opcode66 , this dual spring system makes a lot of sense, keen eyes of yours for picking it out; have you noticed other cutterheads with this same system? Have you found such on the Neuman?

EpicenterBryan

Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:13 am

Todd as usual has awesome inputs. No time to respond tonight.
The good news is the weekend nears.

So, no test data tonight. While mounting the head (on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off) I stripped out one of the plastic mounting holes in the head. I have installed threaded studs with JB Metal weld. It will take until tomorrow to harden.

All is not lost though. I did complete a structure on the overhead that only a fellow 8D owner like KrisD will appreciate. The new head is really heavy and needed an extra spring to offset the weight. I needed a way to attach the new spring. I did an initial check last week, and came up with some options with springs I had available - so I had a pretty good idea of what would work. The added structure does not interfere with overhead travel and also provides connection in the rear for swarf removal via a rear mounted tube as well.

Here is a shot of this new "erector set" like addition (with spring shown). Hopefully I'll have some response curves tomorrow and will start the new thread.

Bryan
IMG_3138[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruisedtongue

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:08 am

Is anybody sharing their 3D files?

EpicenterBryan

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:21 pm

bruisedtongue wrote:Is anybody sharing their 3D files?
My original idea was to post 3D files so people could make their own - at least that was my early plan with various versions. However, as I learned why things didn't work with various drivers and other issues with those designs, I abandoned them and never went back to update the files... My most recent version is intended to be made in aluminum and there are no STL versions. Only sketches which I have not updated since I just machine changes as I need to change things.

Right now, I think Ciuens is about the only guy who has a plastic body version that is working really well with the drivers he is using and I'm sure he updates his files. His drivers are different than the ones I'm still using - I'm only trying to finish things up. You might want to hit him up - but I'm not sure what his plans are with his final design.

Todd has had great success but he plans to sell heads so I'm sure he doesn't want to share files.
You might also want to contact Bahndahn. I'm pretty sure he has also moved to a metal version as well and is doing major mods to drivers.

I'm sure you have checked out the whole "Who can help me with my VR T560 cutterhead?" thread. That looks very promising and doesn't need 3D files at all...

And remember, this thread is well over a year old with no updates so It's probably better that you read current posts and let this one die off...

Bryan

Gridlock

Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:44 am

You can get a 90° 45 45 mount for household electrical in any hardware store aluminum or plastic the speaker holes are 1" and threaded and other sizes avail.
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

Bahndahn

Mon May 02, 2016 10:44 pm

EpicenterBryan wrote:You might also want to contact Bahndahn.
Hello good folks!

Yes, I am using these drivers in my design at this time, and have a number of drawings/models from when I built my lathe. All of my drawings are pretty simple because at the time [2 years ago] I was a beginner machinist and modelling engineer, and I was doing all the work on a manual milling machine. I believe I learned Google Sketchup in a few nights, and was drawing the machine a few days thereafter. It's quite easy once you let yourself learn it, so I highly recommend downloading a free copy of Sketchup and trying your hand at it. It will come in very useful!

All said, I do happily share files and any information I discover, so if I may be of any help feel free to contact me.

It should be known that these 3d files that anyone may have are the most insignificant element of bringing your cutterhead to life. 3D printing alone will only avail you some physical structures with specific physical properties of which are not ideal for all parts of the head. The system you will need to develop will require a number of materials, processes, and tests, as I'm sure you know.

I have slowly been working on my record lathe between heavy academic semesters, and I have documented, and will continue to document my progress here: http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5367&hilit=bd%27s . I am happy to share that I have received a research grant to work on feedback systems in a number of contexts, and some of that research will align with cutterhead design. I will share updates on my thread as they are available.

Good luck with your project!

-Bennett