New Cutter (The DRC) - Destined for Kickstarter...

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Machina.Pro

New Cutter (The DRC) - Destined for Kickstarter...

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi All...

I’ve been offline for a while (long story), but you may know me from my Butler Mastering days. I’ve since ceased mastering to work full time on developing audio products under this name... speaking of which...

I’ve been dedicated to a project [I’m hoping] you will be interested in. Developing a Desktop Record Cutter [or proof of concept at least] to launch on KickStarter shortly.

I wanted to post here first, out of respect for you... my peers. After all, it is the Trolls that have nurtured this obsession...

...which I thank you all for!

If KickStarter is successful, I’d like to start discussion in this forum as to final feature set and interface. We will see how it goes I guess :) The beauty is, the more raised, the larger we can scale, and the cheaper it will get. Currently, we are circa US$6,500 for a complete system, but we can bring this down significantly with more involvement.

The video below does show a retro-fit turntable but we are VERY close to having our own high-torque turntable integrated (yes, out spec’ing the SP-02, and yes, it will be available separately). We are working on integrating vacuum clamping and also experimenting with platters from solid brass, acrylic, aluminium or a combination of materials, possibly in a Pro 14” version also, anyway, the overhead...

Dubbed the DRC, our Desktop Record Cutter is capable of cutting vinyl and/or vinyl-like material. It is automated using modern technology for ease of use, but will allow custom control, upgrades and modification for the experienced user.

With universal head mounting (and a modular frame) it is designed to work with any head. BUT, we are in discussions to either OEM an existing head, or partner with someone who is also in development (more info to come... very soon).

So yes, THIS WILL BE A COMPLETE CUTTING SYSTEM, and yes the estimated $6,500 includes an allowance for a head and electronics/drive package... audio in, cut.

The DRC has an integrated LCD, posses multi-axis digital control and I’ve also managed to integrate (via in-house 3D printed and CNC cut components) a load cell, capable of measuring cutting force (both outputted digitally for display as well as a control parameter for automation). The cutting motion allows more than 7" of movement BTW, so it could be capable of 14" Masters (or it just gets right out of the way to enjoy some listening :) ).

Not yet connected in the video, but we have a vacuum system integrated, allowing clean cutting. The vac motor included has dual I/O, so we have space for vacuum clamping, or something that can be connected elsewhere by the user.

Sensing is way overboard at the moment... if I add any more it may just rise up and take over the world :D

We have motion sensing of turntable to activate cutter, ultrasonic, IR, photo-sensing and even some (robot) line sensing technology have all been tested. We are scaling this back to the most accurate and cost effective currently, and will also allow complete manual control for advanced override and function.

I know I am somewhat out on a long ethenyl limb here, my intentions truly are in the interest of vinyl as a medium (and analogue playback in general). This is most definitely a business of passion for me, not profit focused and I welcome any constructive feedback (“no man is an island”).

Pictures below of the proof of concept (close, but this is still a work in progress)... and here is a quick video (excuse the editing and capture, I’m an audio guy :D ).

More info will be listed in the next 24 hours when the sites go live, I’ll keep this post updated.

Warmest Regards (no vinyl pun intended),

Paul.

https://vimeo.com/112967941

Paul Butler Tayar
Machina.Pro

dubcut

Re: New Cutter (The DRC) - Destined for Kickstarter...

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:06 am

Count me in ! Very excited about this ! More details pretty please :D

Kris D

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:44 am

Looks interesting...are you saying that arm will support a Westrex head?

-Kris

inspector77

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:29 am

Awesome!!!

ROLANDJAYS

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:18 pm

can people just buy the product right now any way?

it looks like you already made it..

are we talking mono ? stereo?

Machina.Pro

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks for the replies! :D

It is close to being available, I want to change the aesthetics a little though, especially with the turntable component. It's going to be more elegant than the pics you see.

I'll be releasing on Kickstarter in the next few hours... for a 31 day period, then we can go into full-scale production. I will be able to get them going very quickly if successfully funded... within the first quarter of next year.

Definitely talking stereo

I am building a 2nd CNC currently, capable of non-ferrous metals (as opposed to just plastic and wood)... once this is operational I'll be able to cut my own arm from billet alloy (it needs some beefing up), and the turntable casing... and we are away.

Machina.Pro

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:06 pm

On Westrex Head Support... I've mocked one up but I need to spend a little more time on this.

The head mounting component is currently being "printed" in Nylon... I'm experimenting with a CNC cut alloy mount with 3D printed damping internally. There's a cool filament I've been messing around with called Ninja-Flex, it's proving promising for this application.

My intentions are to have a universal mount capable of accepting as many heads as possible. I understand the Westrex is a different config though so I will most likely release an independent support for this.

I'm pretty set up as far as design and production goes currently... I'd be able to turn head support requests around within 48 hours (the joys of modern technology) :D

Machina.Pro

Kickstarter Launched...

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:37 pm

We are very proud (and a little nervous) to announce our Kickstarter page has been launched...

You can check it here... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1720863573/the-drc-desktop-record-cutter-a-future-for-vinyl-c

And our website is here... http://www.machina.pro

Any help along the way would be most appreciated, the more pledged, the cheaper and more attainable this will become.

Thanks again,

Paul.

Paul Butler Tayar
Machina.Pro

ROLANDJAYS

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:34 pm

So . It comes with an Audax cutter head? As I see in the picture....

Machina.Pro

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi...

You can have an Audax if you like, as mentioned, this is proof of concept only and the system will include a Stereo Cutter-head and electronics.

ROLANDJAYS

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Can you tell us more about the stereo cutter head ?

Machina.Pro

Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks for the post :)

We are finalising the head detail shortly... currently in negotiations with others to either OEM an existing unit and/or partner with someone in development.

As mentioned, this is a prototype that we are funding in the attempt to scale production up and make the package affordable for everyone.

This kickstarter campaign will drive [and expand upon] the features and aesthetics as it evolves.

Saying that, we are dedicated to this project full-time and will be releasing the DRC with all features outlined online in March 2015. Hopefully we can add more.

Thanks again,

Paul.

Machina.Pro

Full Units for Sale on Kickstarter...

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:18 pm

We have been inspired (or is that persuaded? :D ) to bring the release forward and offer the full unit for sale on Kickstarter.

I am currently locking down the complete BOM to get the absolute best price possible... it will be very close to cost to help us scale up production.

It's been a crazy ride but the development is moving fast... we'll have some pics of the turntable mech & concept electronics packge very shortly.

The new turntable motor is an absolute BEAST, it literally took a chunk out of my hand when testing :) It is rated at over 450 KG-CM!

We are also very close to locking down the head supplier.

I'll update with our sell price and more photo's as soon as possible, thanks again for all the support!!!

Paul.

Kris D

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Is this a direct drive motor?

Modified existing motor/repurposed from another device? Or custom made for disc cutting?

Machina.Pro

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Yep, direct drive. The coupling/spindle are undergoing a re-design right now (literally) while we wait for the remaining parts.

It's a hybrid of the two I guess, I've specified and tested a custom motor... the prototype is good but the packaging/structure were not suitable.

So it's currently being laid out into a re purposed housing...

So... Custom Spec Guts in a re-purposed enclosure

Thanks again!

Paul.

flozki

Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:08 am

hmmm.
nice to see new ideas.
but i have a little déjà vu of another genius on this forum

vaccum system?
stereo head?
custom turntable for almost no money ?

wow!

if motor has a torque of 450 kg cm thats then only the very modest power of
M= 450 kg/cm = 44Nm
P=2 x Pi x M x RPM = 12 kW @ 45 RPM. thats quite amazing!

does the cutterhead get another 10kW for best performance?

why not just build something thats close to what is promissed and then
post some pictures, sounds
and then go kickstarter?
the linear actuator is the simplest thing of any cutting lathe.
a nice strong& quiet turntable,cutterhead, amps, vacuum and a nice concept might be a litte bigger task.
great if you reach that within 3 month.
i would ask for more detailed info before invest...

sorry to play the bad guy again.
but we had that dream 15 years ago. the budget was something like 100k.
without paying the hours for electronic development and interests of 3th party investors.
there where 50 units sold and another unknown number of heads amp systems.
lucky we did not had to develop a turntable or a vacuum platter system. i guess that had aised the budget by another 100-200k

SingleCut

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:16 am

when we will see the head cutting audio and hear the playback?

Machina.Pro

Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback Flo.

I have been trying to contact you (for years if you count my attempts to buy a Caruso), and whilst I do take exception to you calling names (VMSPoland) a public slang match is not my style. You have my contact details and I’m happy to speak constructively offline if you wish.

Hey, I really respect what you are doing, my hat is off to you technically and you have helped inspire me, which I thank you for.

I also agree it’s an expensive process, that’s why I no longer have a car, or a house for that matter :) And I agree it's going to cost more, this is the entire purpose of kickstarter.

I want to be clear that I have not made any false claims whatsoever, I stick to the corner that collaboration [and technology] is powerful and continue to welcome constructive feedback :D

Good luck with your endeavours!

Paul.

opcode66

Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:51 pm

Machina.Pro wrote:I have been trying to contact you (for years if you count my attempts to buy a Caruso), and whilst I do take exception to you calling names (VMSPoland) a public slang match is not my style. You have my contact details and I’m happy to speak constructively offline if you wish.
Saying this here pretty much guarantees you'll never hear from Flo.

For what its worth, I think he's responded to me for the last time a while ago...
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

dimi751

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi

Nice machina ! This is a brave thing to get into very expensive and need a lot of patience
I am envy of you. I wish I can make a machine like this myself ( not smart :cry: ) hehe

Vinylrecorder machine is a very good price and reliable from what I read on this forum 3200 euro

For your price 6 to 7 k ?( maybe less or more) do you think the buyer will expect feedback cutter head with electronics ?

Dimi