playing an edison cylinder with an acoustic tonearm

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

playing an edison cylinder with an acoustic tonearm

Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:55 pm

using the side of a steel phonograph needle playing the vertical groove, this is an aluminum diaphragm acoustic reproducer oriented for vertical cut recordings. this actually works quite well and requires no feed screw for tracking...

Bahndahn

Re: playing an edison cylinder with an acoustic tonearm

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Splendid! Your updates are most enjoyable.

THEVICTROLAGUY

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:23 pm

thank you sir, the Edison cylinder phonograph is a dead science but i find it to be absolutely fascinating, mechanical recording and reproduction that requires nothing but sound waves. the only problem with it is that it is addictive....

socialroots

Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:47 am

love what your doing,cant get more authentic vintage sound than that,sounds way better than alot of the embossed poly lathe cuts that i hear on youtube. right choice of tools for the right kind of sound,a very good match,your singing sounds great aswell( Sweets,your karaoke track)!
it seems like you own the handcrank section,if not the owner,you certainly rule it! gotta get on of those one of these days,cuz i would love to cut some old 20s style calypso,Mento, and im sure old cuban rumba,cha cha,and mambo would be dead on,i would love to hear a cuban bolero ,if you take requests that is!
maximum Respect ,big up from Taiwan!
Patrick