Cutting 'For sale' sign ...

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mischmerz

Cutting 'For sale' sign ...

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:35 pm

4sale.jpg
Picked a "plastic" type "For Sale" sign up a the local WalMart and cut "Rock Around The clock" into it :) I used an unheated Sapphire stylus and it actually produced a nice, easy to clean thread. The record player tracked it without problems - but the surface noise is like AM radio. There might be some room for improvement and it might even be good enough for playing around because the frequency response was not bad at all. So I was wondering what kind of material they used to make this sign? Any ideas?

Michaela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dimi751

Re: Cutting 'For sale' sign ...

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Possibly Ask the Walmart guys on what the material made from could be acrylic not sure.

You can also order a clear records from myshank.com
I would cut the track on a clear record using a diamond stylus then glue it On top of the for sale sign.
You will get good results

mischmerz

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:36 pm

dimi751 wrote:Possibly Ask the Walmart guys on what the material made from could be acrylic not sure.

You can also order a clear records from myshank.com
I would cut the track on a clear record using a diamond stylus then glue it On top of the for sale sign.
You will get good results
Well - I am not quite ready to cut with a diamond. This is why I am experimenting with different plastics and/or treatments. I'd say this sign is made out of PVC - but well - I don't know. Anybody here with experience in cutting PVC?

mm.

dimi751

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:57 pm

Sorry can't help you there regarding pvc I have no experience

Have you tried cutting with the steel stylus ?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Record-lathe-cutter-presto-record-in-stylus-needle-styli-rek-o-kut-recorder-/281255271864?nav=SEARCH

Dimi