My local plastics shop.

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Gridlock

My local plastics shop.

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:08 pm

I dont order stuff online so these are the people i work with to make me crazy new blanks the way i like them. This is their list of sheet plastics they have And they can cut em however and punch my drive holes and crap. Because every time i try to fab lexan or any similar plastic i just break it a bunch and get really frustrated. ANYWAY for those of you who cut on plastics (Not emboss) what of these would you recommend and are any of them particularly bad or good?

Edit: this is the link im talking about
[url][http://www.multicraftplastics.com/plastics/sheet/sheet.html/url]
You can click on the different plastics!!!!
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

Bahndahn

Re: My local plastics shop.

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:49 am

Either:

Polycarbonate [most common for cutting for the price & quality]
or
PETG [slightly softer/easier on your stylus yet a little more expensive]

PETG is a little more responsive to heat, therefore it will soften up more so under the lamp. Perhaps this makes it ideal for embossing rather than cutting, but both processes can benefit from the softness.

Generally, if your aesthetics allow, go with the clear stuff because the pigment can add texture to the internal structure of the sheet you are cutting into. This texture could manifest as noise on the groove walls or wear on the stylus as per abrasion.

Be liberal with how thin you are willing to go if price is a pressing matter!