Training at Magnetic Fidelity in Greece

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

symatic

Training at Magnetic Fidelity in Greece

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 am

Hi guys

I just got back from a week in Greece, training with Jesus and Sabine from Magentic Fidelity, and I just wanted to recommend their excellent service.

Like everything in this game, nothing comes cheap :) but this experience was definately worth it for me.

I've been progressing with my lathe restoration and modification (which you can see in this thread https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5784&p=52660&hilit=presto+14b#p52660) thanks to the info on here and from various friends. but obviously its been slow work until now as I was totally newb status except for a keen interest in the subject.

with the course I just did, I learned to understand some really important concepts about lathe cutting at a fundamental level, as well as detailed knowledge directly relevant to my particular setup.

As I'm on an old machine and I'm trying to modernise it, I feel like I really found the best guys for the job as this really is their speciality.

They were really friendly and thorough with their training, and made sure I understood the concepts as we covered them. I think it made a big difference actually being face to face and getting to know one another, as so much gets lost in translation on forums and emails, as there are so many side questions about every part of what we do.

So now I feel much better equipped and focussed to continue, so if anyone is at the stage I was at (ready to get serious about their system after poking about with it for a while) then I highly recommend the guys at Magnetic Fidelity. A really interesting experience and their friendly patient attitude made it easy to absorb the tonnes and tonnes of advanced knowledge they were cramming into my poor little brain :)

Thanks guys!

and their parts and spares are made to a silly-high degree of quality and accuracy :)

jesusfwrl

Re: Training at Magnetic Fidelity in Greece

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank you for your kind words, Symatic! It was a real pleasure having you here.
13.JPG
More pics and details can be found on our blog:
https://agnewanalog.com/blog/school-of-cut-learning-how-to-cut-records-at-agnew-analog.html

To prevent any confusion, I should also point out that Magnetic Fidelity is the name of our mastering
studio.
The technical services and training are provided by Agnew Analog.

Sabine and I are involved with both business.

Best of luck, with your lathe modification, Symatic! We will be glad to assist whenever needed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

Jccc

Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:53 pm

yes Jesus and Sabine are excellent!
They help make a custom mount for one of my cutting heads and is currently repairing a head.

He has been helpful in answering questions.

If you need any custom stuff for your lathe hit up Agnew Instruments.

EposLab

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:45 am

Since my childhood and the first contact with vinyl records i was dreaming of cutting my own records. Jesus was the the spark to remind me thiat and he really put me on fire!
After searching and finally buying a vintage ROK lathe, there was a need for Voltage&Speed Conversion, Motor Service and a Cutterhead Repair which Jesus was able to do Very (VERY) Precisely! Two months ago I was lucky to visit Jesus and Sabine @Agnewanalog for a weekend! I brought my small cabinet so we assembled and test my lathe successfully (my first cut ever!).
All i can say is Jesus is an unlimited source of knowledge (...and patience!) and together with Sabine they make your visit @Agnewanalog a pleasant experience! They will also ensure you will enjoy every handmade piece they make: from handmade parts by Jesus hands to handmade Pizza and Coffee by Sabine's hands!!
Great :D
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)

symatic

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:33 am

EposLab wrote: handmade Pizza and Coffee

yes i should have mentioned this too - excellent pizza and coffee :)

jesusfwrl

Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:54 am

Thank you so much for all your kind words, Symatic, Jccc and Eposlab! It has been a pleasure working with you guys!

Sabine makes the best handcrafted pizza I've ever eaten and also cuts some great sounding records, among many other technical tasks.
pizza.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pepperman

Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:49 pm

I also know personally the high value of this guy and his companion.
A lot of assholes, incompetents and inapt people all around the professional records matter.
For sure, Jesus Agnew do not belong between them.
Very serious professional and brainiac multitalented person.
I recommend him 101%.

Soulbear

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:45 pm

[Edited by admin in the process of scrubbing harassment by another member. Didn't want to delete Soulbear's nice testimony, though! Nothing inherently wrong with Soulbear's post as it was --in fact it was a good corrective at the time-- just wanted to keep thread on track. --admin]

I myself have availed myself recently of the services offered by Jesus et al. The service I personally received was "Over and Above" what was anticipated by me.

To use the "Management Speak" of which I have more than a little knowledge from my time as a Business and Management Professor, and to mis-quote and paraphrase some of the leading Gurus and Authorities in this field, the competitive advantage of Jesus and Sabine's company is that it "Delights the Customer" and "Exceeds Customer Expectations."

Far from all being the Progeny of a failed cloning experiment using the DNA of Archimedes, Pythagoras, Isaac Newton, and Albert Einstein as [harassing member seems to perceive himself], some of us "Amateurs" actually dont know "Our Arses from our Elbows" and value beyond measure the great help, assistance, knowledge and skills so generously shared with us by Jesus and Sabine. We are not afraid to share our appreciation by being complimentary. Are we all to be considered "Fakes" for doing so??

Gus

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Jesus is a nice guy with knowledge and education about sound & electronics, that's for sure!
Also he's manufacturing great solutions for our old record lathes, not with rediculous 3d printing plastic cnc, but with very precision Swiss metal lathes.

jesusfwrl

Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Thank you Soulbear, Symatic, EposLab, Gus and Megamike, for your support and appreciative comments.

I would also like to thank Steve Espinola and the other moderators for all their efforts in trying to maintain a decent standard of communication on this forum.

As for the beef, we usually prefer the pizza vegetarian, but we do have a good supply of free range buffalo in the area, in case anyone gets really hungry...!
But, if you absolutely must have beef, here it is:
DSC_0009.JPG
Three of them, for "variable mu"...

boryo

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:51 pm

I've been to Magnetic Fidelity several times already since Jesus started working on my lathe.
I went to them with lathe knowledge close to 0, asked hundreds of questions and they were always kind and describing things to the smallest technical detail.
Seeing the work that he has done on his cutting lathes and listening to the recordings that he made with them in his mastering room very quickly one realises that things are very very serious.

Here is a small quote of what @symatic wrote me on FB during his visit there "lathe nerdery level 100000" :)

Be sure that you are in good hands!

EposLab

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:57 am

boryo wrote:I went to them with lathe knowledge close to 0, asked hundreds of questions and they were always kind and describing things to the smallest technical detail.
Same here but in my case they were/are millions of questions :shock:

BTW his monitoring rooms looks like a starship pilot room!
info@eposlab.gr

symatic

Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:39 am

have you tried googling them, [XXXXX]? there's quite a lot of info out there about what Agnew Analog do.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=agnew+analog&s=g

Sabine

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:20 am

Thanks for the thread cleanup, admin!
Also thank you for your kind words, symatic, Jccc, soulbear, Gus, pepperman, boryo, epos lab, and megamike!

Happy you guys liked my pizza (and my more serious technical work as well). You are always welcome.

piaptk

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:36 am

I will pile on the Jesus love... ive traded info and gear with him many times and found him to be a great, highly knowledgeable, humble, and honest dude. One of these days i will make it out to Greece to hang in person!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

boryo

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 am

piaptk wrote:One of these days i will make it out to Greece to hang in person!
Maybe it will be good to organise something like a meet-up for the cutters in the area.

jesusfwrl

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am

Thank you Mike (piaptk), I'll be looking forward to hanging out with you!
boryo wrote:
Maybe it will be good to organize something like a meet-up for the cutters in the area.
This is a great idea! We would be happy to host such a meet-up in the studio and garden!

EposLab

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:22 pm

boryo wrote:
Maybe it will be good to organise something like a meet-up for the cutters in the area.
Great idea :-)
info@eposlab.gr