New Embossing Stylus!

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JoelSD

Re: New Embossing Stylus!

Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:30 am

Hi Tasos,

Congratulations! That's a remarkable work progress.
About the position of your needle with 100º angle, how do you avoid the hiss sound and not to turn into a cut record when the needle touches the disc? I suposed you use My Shank PVC, I tried my self and they are very sensible without any heat or wax.

Joel

EposLab

Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:53 pm

100° is the groove geometry. Recording angle is set 90°-85° as shown on the instructions manual below.
I mainly use myshank blanks and prepare only by using zippo lighter fluid. No heat or any lub at all.
I tried lots of different angles of triangle tip focusing for the best results according to sound clarity , frequency response and noise floor (including hiss). i ended up to 100° of groove geometry which is the magic number!
Grinding and carefully polish of the tip helps alot minimize the noise floor.

Screenshot_20231224-224603~2.png

Check the following link for disk preperation :
https://youtube.com/shorts/cqcQmahXMcg?si=5CoBUoWjG9kzw0ok
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)

tape

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:43 am

US2544495_stylus embossing.pdf
has anybody with the skills needed ever tried to replicate the stylus described in detail in the attached pdf?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grooveguy

Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:50 am

Wow, good find, tape! This patent is something to digest; I hope that between the lot of us we can figure it out. It might well be worth looking at the references cited at the end of the patent also. Any departure from a spherical embossing stylus may negate the drawbacks noted by Milton Morse in that 1940s paper on the subject that I posted somewhere on this forum some time ago. If anyone wants to see it I can post it again. With the demise of Transco and the scarcity and expense of cutting styli and lacquer blanks, anything we can do to to improve embossing as a viable workaround will be very welcome.

tape

Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:30 pm

thanks a lot. My great hope for embossing would be a replica of the permanent embossing stylus in the portable Soundscriber 200. That one was made designed to emboss hundreds, maybe thousands of hours. I don't know the material or if it's the same as in the 1945 patent, they probably developed it further. The tip is extremely thin.

grooveguy

Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:10 pm

Yes. And note that the angle to the record surface is similar to what our Trolls typically recommend. What Soundscriber has done here is the proper way, translating the lateral motion of the armature to lateral groove modulation. If instead, as practiced by most experimenters, you "lean the head back," you no longer have true lateral-only modulation of the groove. It probably doesn't make much difference at all, but my own experimental embossing stylus emulated the Soundscriber design, but with a sapphire tip.
Photos copy.jpg
The sapphire tip was taken from an eBay replacement microgroove replacement stylus and did a credible job of recording. The level difference between a lacquer cut with a vintage Capps microgroove stylus and the homebrew stylus embossing onto polycarbonate (all other parameters identical) was about 8dB. Frequency response was very nearly the same. All this is written up somewhere here, and with thanks to one of you fellow Trolls who did the comparison between the two recordings from MP3 files posted with the write-up.

tape

Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:31 am

nice, so you bend the needle the same angle as the soundscriber?

grooveguy

Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:00 am

Pretty close, I think. As I recall, I was shooting for 18 degrees, although I'm not sure where that number came from. Maybe an average of what I had read here about other Trolls 'leaning their heads back.'