The farmer and his plow - When I set out to build a record cutter

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

zdenek

Re: The farmer and his plow - When I set out to build a record cutter

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:50 pm

We were thinking about such a solution for extracting copper chips, but unfortunately the relative vacuum pressure is too low and we had to decide on a much more powerful relative screw pump and, as a last resort, we used a supercharger compressor from a Volkswagen, [a real madness of noise], it must be in the garage, if maybe Farmer then check the attenuation, how many dB will the noise drop after closing the housing, ok?

farmersplow

Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:55 am

zdenek wrote:
We were thinking about such a solution for extracting copper chips, but unfortunately the relative vacuum pressure is too low and we had to decide on a much more powerful relative screw pump and, as a last resort, we used a supercharger compressor from a Volkswagen, [a real madness of noise], it must be in the garage, if maybe Farmer then check the attenuation, how many dB will the noise drop after closing the housing, ok?
If the G60 compressor from Volkswagen is not enough, there is also the Roots blower from the Lancia Volumex. If that is still not enough, there is also the Dodge Challenger Hellcat supercharger (still in production). I come from the automotive industry and had a lot to do with turbochargers and superchargers (had three Volumex myself). But I don't think a supercharger will fit.

farmersplow

Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:11 am

zdenek wrote:
If you really need a high vacuum, then it is better to use a multi-piston pump with a compensation diaphragm. This ensures that the vacuum remains constant and the air column does not "oscillate". This is also relatively quiet.

zdenek

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:01 pm

farmersplow wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:11 am
zdenek wrote:
If you really need a high vacuum, then it is better to use a multi-piston pump with a compensation diaphragm. This ensures that the vacuum remains constant and the air column does not "oscillate". This is also relatively quiet.
Thanks, currently the compressor is pumping quite well, but you know what the noise of this charging and suction is... I had to add a compensating and balancing air tank to even out the fluidity [the electric motor drives 1.5 kW, plus a wheel twice as large belts on it than on the compressor of this Volkswagen, revolutions around 3k, etc.]. Generally, we accidentally took this compressor because it was cheap [after a wrecked car], but I will tell you that it works. If there is a problem with it, we will look for something like yours. tips, thanks very much Farmer!

farmersplow

Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:52 pm

VACUUM Part 4 - The chip container

I actually built the chip container much later, but it fits in with the theme. I would therefore like to present the work here.
First I had to rework the CNC-manufactured lid on the lathe. The grooves for the sealing rubber were not deep enough and so the lid would not fit over the container.
71_01.jpg
71_02.jpg

Then I drilled the holes for the air inlet (from the suction pipe), the air outlet (to the vacuum pump) and the pressure gauge connection.
71_03.jpg

In my desperate search for the right adapter pieces, hoses and filters, I came across the following parts:
A pressure gauge, A brass straight-through adapter and a filter with valve.
I also found a PVC pipe, a cover for the PCV pipe, a rubber seal and a quick connector for the suction hose (coming from the cutterhead).
71_04.jpg
71_05.jpg
71_06.jpg
71_07.jpg

Then I finally assembled the lid:
71_08.jpg
71_09.jpg
71_10.jpg
71_11.jpg

I was very proud because it looks so good.

But unfortunately not all that glitters is gold! The design has a few flaws.

First of all, the seal. The lid went on the pipe well and was also super tight. But unfortunately I could no longer remove the lid! The contact pressure of the seal was too great and it was not possible to remove the cover even with three people. It was only by blowing compressed air into the container that I was able to remove the lid. It took several more adjustments on the lathe until it now works perfectly. It now goes up and down easily and is still tight.

The next problem is the pressure gauge. Unfortunately, there are only vacuum pressure gauges with a range down to -1 bar (-30 in Hg). However, the side channel blower has a maximum vacuum of -0.11 bar. So the pressure gauge practically shows nothing!
If anyone knows of a vacuum pressure gauge that has a maximum range of -100mBar (-3 in HG), please let me know.
It has nothing to do with the function, but with the aesthetics.
A negative pressure of -100mBar is completely sufficient, because the side channel blower has a very high air flow rate, which is much more important! If you consider that an air flow rate of 80m³/h can flow through an opening of 2mm², then this is an enormous suction on the suction pipe and easily takes the chip with it.

The third problem is the brass filter with valve (in the tank). The valve chattering and cannot be removed without destroying the filter. The filter is also too coarse-meshed. However, the filter is very important because no filaments or other parts must get into the side channel blower (otherwise the pump blades will be destroyed).
I was able to solve the problem by replacing the part with a brass flange with a filter sock. I made a suitable filter myself on the sewing machine. More precisely, my wife sewed it (thanks darling).
71_12.jpg
71_13.jpg

I can proudly say that this part works perfectly!
71_14.jpg
71_15.jpg

Greetings from Austria
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nikc

Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

Hi Thomas
Great project, amazing, thanks for posting the project. Good to read. I am swapping to a channel blower from a vacuum pump. Just got an old one on ebay to try out. Need more power.
Best
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

C-Pilote

Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:27 am

Hey !
Nice vacuum set up!
Well built !
For the filter on mine I use makeup little
Cotton rags tape under the succion intake and it work well.
Looks a bit like your filter.
☢️

farmersplow

Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 am

nikc wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am
Hi Thomas
Great project, amazing, thanks for posting the project. Good to read. I am swapping to a channel blower from a vacuum pump. Just got an old one on ebay to try out. Need more power.
Best
Nik
Yes, the disadvantage of the vacuum pump is the lack of air volume (and the pulsating air column). I once tried to inflate an air castle (one of those things that children can jump on) with a compressor. It worked, but took over an hour. With the channel blower, the thing was up in 20 seconds. There is a suitable device for every application. (I need the compressor for my air-brush work).

farmersplow

Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:46 am

C-Pilote wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:27 am
Hey !
Nice vacuum set up!
Well built !
For the filter on mine I use makeup little
Cotton rags tape under the succion intake and it work well.
Looks a bit like your filter.
Thank you and glad you like it. My filter consists of the coarse dust filter that usually comes with the dust bags for household vacuum cleaners.
Filter1.jpg
Filter2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.