Site is messed up. I'm on it. ("Bad Gateway" announcements)

Announcements and discussions ABOUT the site. Info on registering, ideas for improvement, FAQs and the like.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Site is messed up. I'm on it. ("Bad Gateway" announcements)

Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:33 am

Hi all. We are getting a lot of "Bad Gateway" pages right now, site going up and down. I don't know why, and neither does my server company (Bluehost). I'm on it. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Soulbear

Re: Site is messed up. I'm on it. ("Bad Gateway" announcements)

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Hi Steve,
+ 1 more :( Had Multiple Messages when trying to Log-in, sorry I never got in touch to let you know. Just thought it was a bug somewhere in Internetland :roll: :roll: :roll: REGARDS Soulbear :) :P :D

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:22 pm

How is it now? Seems better?

Soulbear

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:42 pm

Steve E. wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:22 pm
How is it now? Seems better?
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.lathetrolls.com.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Still having loads of problems Steve, both trying to initially load the site, and logging in, then negotiating topics, OR EVEN TRYING TO REPLY TO THIS POST!!!!
KEEP GETTING THESE ERROR MESSAGES !!!
Regards Soulbear :roll: :roll: :roll:

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:36 pm

Hi All. The site was intermittently unavailable all morning. I'm just as frustrated with this situation as you are. I think it's time to move this board to a dedicated server on a different hosting site.

This is going to be a major headache.

For the record, I've been using Bluehost, and I've seeing a significant drop-off in quality since the beginning of 2020. Especially irritating is their tech support's tendency to pass the buck to either me or Sitelock, the bot-killing service. But the problem is clearly with them. Each time I go through this, I lose up to a day escalating the problem to people on their end who can actually alleviate the problem.... for a time.

You may have noticed I've avoided running a fundraiser for the past year. This is because fundraisers themselves take a LOT of time and energy, and they pull away from the work that bring in my income (which is repairing Wurlitzer Electric Pianos). I have been remiss in updating the "Sponsor" section to reflect the contributions of the better part of the past year, and for that I am sorry. It will happen.

I think this occasional bottlenecking will continue until I drop everything and just migrate everything. I am going to need to run that fundraiser to set aside the time to do this. Please contribute, when the time comes. Thank you.

Discomo

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:58 am

I sometimes need to log in three times before I get in. Not perfect, but it works. I understand your frustration in this matter but I appreciate all your efforts and input, especially since you help a lot of people with this forum.
I think most of ‘us’ can accept the log in issues, since the help from this forum is priceless. So no need to worry about the trolls.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sat May 01, 2021 6:03 pm

Update: I've spent countless hours on the phone with Bluehost over the past 5 or 6 weeks. The problem gets better, then worse again. Their technical support lines are excruciating, and feature 2 songs on endless repeat. The songs have not changed in years.

They are assuring me that they are going to migrate this site to a new, less crammed server. This gives me half-relief and half-terror, as I'm a little afraid they could kill the whole site if they do a poor job of it. I'm rushing to make some manual backups, as I've learned not to trust the backups we pay for. The problem is that the file manager is crashing so much, I can't even get solid backups of the graphics downloads folder.
:mad: :evil:

The site will go down for a few days at some point soon. If I have any warning, I will let everyone know. Though, it couldn't be much less reliable than it's been for the past 30 hours.

Thanks for bearing with all of this. If their fix doesn't work, I will commence moving to a new company. I'm actively exploring the options.

trendkiller

Mon May 03, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks for letting us know. Bad web host are a pain... Fingers crossed!

Soulbear

Sun May 09, 2021 9:35 am

Steve E. wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:03 pm
Update: I've spent countless hours on the phone with Bluehost over the past 5 or 6 weeks. The problem gets better, then worse again. Their technical support lines are excruciating, and feature 2 songs on endless repeat. The songs have not changed in years.

They are assuring me that they are going to migrate this site to a new, less crammed server. This gives me half-relief and half-terror, as I'm a little afraid they could kill the whole site if they do a poor job of it. I'm rushing to make some manual backups, as I've learned not to trust the backups we pay for. The problem is that the file manager is crashing so much, I can't even get solid backups of the graphics downloads folder.
:mad: :evil:

The site will go down for a few days at some point soon. If I have any warning, I will let everyone know. Though, it couldn't be much less reliable than it's been for the past 30 hours.

Thanks for bearing with all of this. If their fix doesn't work, I will commence moving to a new company. I'm actively exploring the options.
Great improvement last few days!! :) :P :D

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:17 pm

Yes, I know. The problems are back, along with new SSL certificate error messages. I've been on the phone with tech support for the past 70 minutes.