Nikola Tesla Meets His Special Pigeon / steve espinola

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

Nikola Tesla Meets His Special Pigeon / steve espinola

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:57 am

an mp3 transfer to a black wax cylinder running at 120 rpm. the normal speed of the Edison cylinder phonograph is 160 rpm. by slowing the machine you can make much longer recordings. by continuing to do experiential transfers at different speeds with different audio files i can refine the transfer process. this nice thing about using these audio files from differing websites is that i have had no control over the original recording process and have to take the audio files and manipulate it so it sounds good on a cylinder recording. piano is especially difficult to record due to the long pure tones. this machine is 110 years old and is powered by a spring driven motor driving the cylinder and feed screw with a belt. the slightest fluctuation in speed is instantly heard as flutter and wow on the recording. in this recording the machine is actually running at nearly constant speed or as close as one can get with a spring driven motor. fluctuating between 120 and 120.1 rpm throughout the entire cylinder recording.

if anyone has a audio file they would like to hear on a cylinder feel free to forward it to me, this is the only real way to refine the recording process and allows me to experiment with the necessary frequency adjustment required by the very limited response of the cylinder medium.

regards
to steve.....

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Nikola Tesla Meets His Special Pigeon / steve espinola

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:39 am

right on!

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Nikola Tesla Meets His Special Pigeon / steve espinola

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:46 am

that's from a wfmu broadcast from september 10, 2001 ( the day before everything went kablooey). irene trudel's show. raul rothblatt, cello.