recorder test / banjo solo / listen to this !!

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

recorder test / banjo solo / listen to this !!

Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:41 am

i have been experimenting with improving the transfer process, this is the audio from a you tube video recorded on a brown wax recording blank, the results are impressive for an acoustic process. this is still strictly mechanical and was recorded with a polymer diaphragm driving the recording stylus. the stylus is a cupped tip sapphire rod .042" in diameter. the stylus is glued directly to the polymer diaphragm and is driven by sound waves, not an electric recording head.

this will be listed on ebay, i usually make them in groups of two or four to see how they sell before tying up large numbers of blank cylinders. being a two minute format you can crank out many cylinders in an hour with repeatable results without further adjustment or set up. once the machine is set and running it is just a matter of replacing the cylinder and blowing away the swarf.

as you can hear the electric motor is quite stable for a belt driven phonograph, and there is no flywheel to help maintain speed. the four weight Governor on the output shaft of the motor is the only speed stability the machine has. i want to add a flywheel on the output shaft next to the drive pulley, that would help substantially with getting this to run as wow free as possible. for now it is running better than any spring driven cylinder phonograph. i considered a stepper motor but wanted the machine completely autonomous and mechanical without the need for logic or circuit boards. while this is relatively crude it is efficient and works quite well. it is inexpensive to build this machine, costing about $ 200 total.