Introduction: New to the site

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PALOMINO

Introduction: New to the site

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Hello fellow trolls,
I have spent many hours wondering the world of the internet browsing pages of record cutting and pressing and finally I came upon this great forum. Lots of info on this site! I own a company that masters, plates, and presses records in house so I figured it would be a good idea to join. I have already found some useful tips and great info. Looking forward to being a frequent visitor to the forum. At the moment we mostly deal with creating records and doing small runs for the Square Dance industry but we are slowly diving into more popular stuff like DJ work. Who knows, maybe we can service some people on this forum and be a good contributor to the site. Anyways, I thought that I would introduce myself and show a few pics of our equiptment:
Mastering electronics

Mastering Lathe

PALOMINO

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:54 pm

Plating room

Press

And the Fairchild we do not use and are trying to find buyers for, anyone interested or have any ideas on where to sell?

Simon

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:43 am

PM me a price on the Fairchild - I may have a buyer.

Thanks
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

thomas

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:49 pm

Palomino hello,

Brilliant.

How is the Scully?

Amazing that you are doing plating, how is it?

How and when did you get started?

My best

PALOMINO

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:03 am

Thomas,
The scully is great. The only issue with it is that sometimes the motor does not trigger the start up by itself and needs a little push. Our plating is also going really well. The previous owners gave us a bunch of tips on how their process works and how to keep things running smoothly. However, we are trying to get more and more into the 12 inch business rather than our usual 7 in stuff and the plates are hit or miss at the moment. We are still trying to find the right recipe for perfection in our tank. We have been in the business for about five years now.

thomas

Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:49 am

Palomino hello,

Hello to Mikey, CD4 and CC.

Don't quote me on this- I suspect that lots of lathes need a little help getting started spinning.

Electroplating, only in theory is it easy. Bravo to you!

7" has many positive characteristics. Are you pressing 12" now?

I had seen a list for a plant for sale, similar to yours several years ago, vaguely recall Adams and Worldcom brand names. Did you happen to get a mould lapping machine?

Has it been a busy 5 years?

My best-

Aussie0zborn

Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 am

Very nice. Where are you???

PALOMINO

Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Yes, we have begun pressing 12" runs...some with more promise than others. We have stayed as busy as the Square Dance industry has allowed but now we are looking into expanding our horizon. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by a mould lapping machine.? We are located in Kentucky.

thomas

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:04 am

Mikey hello,

Have done 5th round, waiting for 6th, getting faster and more accurate. There has been three recent shifts in pressing plants and equipment here.
Canada to Texas, New Jersey to Ohio and North Carolina to California.

Palomino hello,

Expansion.... alas money.

From your experience, what are the differences between pressing 7" and 12"?

Mould lapping machine- When the profiling of a mould is done on a lathe, there are imperfections to the surface from the cut. The finishing step is lapping, done a variety of ways. If you should have such a machine, I would love to see photos.

my best-

PALOMINO

Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:42 am

So are you talking about lapping the metal stamper after the recorded lacquer has been plated?

thomas

Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:34 am

Palomino hello,

Lapping is the finishing step for the moulds. The lapping machine removes the imperfections on the face of the moulds.

Not the stampers, they are an entirely different story, their backs gets sanded. Couple different style machines for that, manual and automatic. Sometimes, the face of the stamper gets buffed with a cloth wheel or the mother gets dehorned.

My best-

Aussie0zborn

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:44 am

Most lathes need a bit of a kick start to get the turntable going. Neumann lathes have a button to speed it up but best to spin the turntable by hand and then turn the turntable motor on.

Making stampers can be hit and miss sometimes - it requires a lot of dedication and careful supervision of every step. Your nickel sulphamate supplier can be your best friend if they perform free analyses of your plating solution. After five years I imagine you already know all of this.

Can I assume you are pressing both 7" and 12" on the one Finebilt press? There is another fellow here on this forum that uncovered an unused plant with two Finebilt presses and a lathe similar to yours. Similarly, another fellow in Mexico is setting up two Finebilt presses, too and he should be pressing by now. Seems that Finebilt presses are still alive and well. Together with the one at Musicol, it seems there are at least six in North America that we know of.

Excuse, my ignornace but what exactly is the "square dance" industry? I am getting images of what we call "barn dancing" here and am wondering why they would use vinyl. Also, why are you limted to one genre?

dietrich10

Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:20 pm

already started nice work with Palomino Records. Finally someone can print me less than 1000 labels for an order! looking forward to seeing their 7" work
cutting lacquers-vms70 system