Locked Groove 7" by TRON/Noisevinyl/Minimalizm

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Locked Groove 7" by TRON/Noisevinyl/Minimalizm

Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:06 pm

"Tron", a mysterious but friendly person who posts here, sent me a 7" record to review, so here is the review.

YAY....It's a locked groove record!! Buy it! More to the point, buy its followups and support this evolving artist! Locked groove records are rare, take effort and skill to produce, and most of all, are fun!

Here's a description of what I received: A white label 1-sided record that looks to have about 50 locked grooves on it. The run out area (though there is no "running out" on it, hee hee) reads "Minimalizm v 2".

These sites are connected to this record:

http://www.myspace.com/noisevinyl
http://www.myspace.com/minimalizm

It would appear from visiting these pages that there is now a Minimalizm V.3 and a V.4, but I don't know whether those are variations of this or entirely unique content. Listening to the sample on the myspace page, I think they do indeed contain different content--at the least, in my hunting and pecking, I have not found any of the "V4" samples on my "V2" disc. I don't know whether "Minimalizm" is a group, a person, a collective, a project, or an album title. More mystery!

The content? The genre? It's not something I am at all expert in, but on the myspace page he/she/they describe themselves as "Experimental / Ambient / Electronica." My read on this V2 disc is that it is each of these three things, but not always all of them at the same time.

Most of these tracks are pulsing 4/4 beats. They are all pitched to fit exactly within the alloted 1.8 seconds of a single revolution of a 33 1/3 record, and that is the speed I find most pleasant to play this at. It seems that this disc would have a special utility for club DJs, who could alter the speed of this to mix into the beats-per-minute of whatever they are playing. There are four beats for every revolution of the disc, which, I believe, translates to 133 1/3 beats per minute at 33 1/3 and 180 bpm at 45.

If one had two or three of these discs, I could imagine you could really mix it up by playing them at the same time, and really trip people out. It has obvious utilities that I am unable to explore on my home sound system.

I must admit that at first I was a little disappointed, because I happened to drop the needle into a few beats that sounded like the four-equal-beats pulsing stuff I hear at rave-oriented clubs and lounges. While it is clearly popular, that just happens not to be my cuppa, and I'm not knowledgeable enough about that kind of music to compare its quality here to that of other artists in the genre. So I feel like a dummy trying to review it.

BUT, nonetheless....further perusal of the disc revealed that it got far more interesting after the first few grooves, even more-so at points in its second half, and that even the earlier grooves contain subtleties of detail after you leave them spinning for a while. I actually started to hallucinate and hear elements fade up and down over time, and that is just not possible.....unless there was gradual groove melting going on as the disc spun. (rather unlikely :) )

To be more specific, some of the more interesting loops avoid rhythm altogether, including atmospheric drones, or contain more eccentric, even humorous, odd beats. There's an old-school retro-disco track or two in there, somewhere, and at least one tribute to early 80's synth pop with "Thriller" overtones. There's some jazzy acoustic stuff, and some funny robotic stuff. One loop samples a soul shouter demanding "Get On Your Feet and Dance!" for all eternity.

My favorite grooves on the disc are the ones that deviate the most from the hands-in-the-air pulsing electronic drum stuff. Just my personal taste. I happen to like irrational limping rhythms and strange noises. If you listen to the "v4" demo on myspace, the first minute or so contains the sort of things that float my boat far more.....so I look forward to hearing the "v4" disc in its entirety. I would personally love to see TRON/Noisevinyl/Minimalizm produce more stuff in this direction, because it is my sound drug of choice.

You can buy it here:

http://www.myspace.com/noisevinyl

It's in euros, so I don't know how that translates in US dollars.

http://www.myspace.com/minimalizm

Tron, please feel free to chime in with more info on what we have here, who you are, and what you are producing now!

Jccc

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:19 am

thats some pretty cool stuff there!! Dj Swamp also made a few locked groove records also, if anyone is looking for more stuff like that.
I also got this Dead C record that has a few locked grooves on the outside before it gets to the actual songs.

Has anyone heard the ones that RRR put out???

Steve E.
Site Admin

Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:47 am

I love the ones that RRR put out!! Multi-artist craziness, much of it damn creepy. My favorite cuts on this remind me of that one.

I have seen some wording that makes me think these Tron records are by a multi-artist collective. Tron? Do chime in.

One thing I forgot to add is that the quality of the loops here (on the Tron record) is FAULTLESS. You cannot hear the start/stop hitch point. On the RRR ones, you can sometimes hear the overlap. How are these lock groove things done???

Tron

LOCKED GROOVES

Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:00 pm

Great REVIEW STEVE!

I can not take credit for it all!

but the fact remains, yes it's a collective of very fun creative people who all supported the creation of these records. Even some people here are involved like cementimental!

The records are basically WHITE LABEL one-off pressings of 100+ very limited it started off as a FEATURE with TOKYOTRONIC label then broke-off into a label/series of it's own then went into Digital as well.

There are variations of the pressings as each new volume got the last volume re-pressed on the flip side just because.

V1 Minimalizm /Tokyotronic
110 pressed same program on both sides
1 Full track BY YELLOW DIAMOND (hideo kobayashi of JAPAN) + VARIOUS ARTISTS 17 locked grooves

V2 VARIOUS ARTISTS 53 LOCKED GROOVES one-sided!

V3 Full track BY LeAndre From Paris + VARIOUS ARTISTS many locked grooves
+
(bonus repress of V2 on the b-side) VARIOUS COLORED VINYLS

V4 Out now
1 Full track BY Jivaro (Swedish guy) + VARIOUS ARTISTS many locked grooves
(bonus repress of V3 on the b-side)

MINIMALIZM is the label that houses the series but also does some great releases on BEATPORT.COM/labels/minimalizm and has been linked with NOISE VINYL who also organized some of the artists to get this all going.

if you want to press your own locked grooves project visit

http://myspace.com/lockedgrooves or http://myspace.com/phonocopy who does 100 copy stuff like this for small labels and also non-label experimenters like us.
[Q/::][Q/::]

cementimental

Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 am

I have a track on Minimalizm V3, it's a noise loop of weird high babbling, made from recording of an amazing-sounding water heater :) Alas it's not a perfect cut, marred by a bit of a click but I understand that's an unavoidable risk with locked groves, goes with the territory sometimes... Anyway great to have my loop on there!.

The Minimalizm guys are really cool and I'll probably deal with them again when I have money to throw around on locked groove foolishness. I was however just a tiny bit dissapointed that it was advertised as "noise vinyl" but in reality basically an electro-house dj tool. ^_^;; Still, i guess that's more because there were not enough takers from the noise/circuitbending side of things... And locked groves of anything are good, more material for my future locked-groove-only DJ set idea. :)

Also I generally like the idea of mix+match represses of sides of records, ie the V3 being on V4... Some noise acts release one-sided records from time to time, I think it'd be cooler to re-press something on the other side... borrow plates from another label, preferably something really incongrous. :)

VRCM

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:42 pm

What is a locked groove record? Nevermind, figured it out--just did't think people actually did it.
Last edited by VRCM on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

VRCM

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Oh ok. Found it on juno records
http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?header_search_for=m_123&q=V4+Jivaro&precision=any&column=all&music=yes&merchandise=yes&genre_id=0000&x=9&y=6

AND
http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?header_search_for=m_123&q=locked+groove&precision=any&column=all&music=yes&merchandise=yes&genre_id=0000

I want this record now! It would be great for mixing and scratching over.

Now here is a continuous LP. Does that mean there is no space between tracks.
http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/235184-01.htm

By the way awesome record. Watch him on youtube.[/url]
Last edited by VRCM on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

dietrich10

Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:56 pm

what is the tempo needed for 45 rpm lock grooves?
i know 133.3 for 33 1/3 cuts

also if anyone looking for more similar-we did this a few yrs ago. was before i was cutting so D&M did it
http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=20906
i have some left here in US
cutting lacquers-vms70 system