Brush technique

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sunkingrecords

Brush technique

Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Hello!

I'm having problems to get a good suction from my vacuum (I guess is not powerful enough, and also incredibly noisy), so I am now experimenting with a brush to keep the chip away, as I read some people do.

I'm cutting on vinyl discs, which are softer than regular pressed discs.
Is there a best techinque for doing this? I'm getting a continuous "hair" of vinyl but every few turns it tends to curl itself around the sapphire, and that starts a chain reaction, where I need to stop the process and start over.
Are there things that interrupt the smooth flow of vinyl and make it turn around? Perhaps uneven speed of the turntable, no enough flatness of the plate, or the fact that my sapphire has been very damaged on my first attemps at cutting?

Kind regards

Miguel
I choose not to run .-

ROLANDJAYS

Re: Brush technique

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 pm

what I have done , is use a motor with wire brush attached to wind the chips up as it cuts.
and also have air blowing constantly so the chips will go one direction....

good luck

tragwag

Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:31 pm

where do you get your blanks?
and what are they?

I'm constantly trying to figure out what people are actually using, and what they're calling it.

in the past I cut laserdiscs with a Chip Chaser tool, and a little air blower thing.
the chip does bunch up, but not enough to ruin the groove.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

sunkingrecords

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi!

I will try then with something that blows gently, so the chip goes all to the same side towards the center of the record.

This discs are suppossedly vinyl, but are pressed with less pressure or less heat, because they are softer and lighter than comercial records.

Kind regards!
I choose not to run .-

opcode66

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:02 pm

FYI, If chip builds up in a ball around your stylus it is bad. It can bunch up and then pass under the cutting tip. This causes the tip to jump up and then slam back down on the record. This can either degrade the cutting edges or potentially chip the tip off.

You can do several things to avoid static which is causing the chip to build up. A negative ion generator helps. Also, wearing anti-static nitrile gloves while working also helps.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

sunkingrecords

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:03 pm

Hello Opcode,

I don't believe I'm dealing with static, this is a kind of plastic record, pvc or vinyl at some percentage. I have not tried with PC yet but I'm planning to. I'm getting the hand at the brush and with the correct weight and temperature it seems to go well.
BTW I saw your very informative videos, thanks for posting those! If at some point I manage to get something recorded, I'll be ordering some of your diamond tips, at least for experimenting with PC and other materials.

Regarding the audio, how much vibration should I feel if touching the saphire when music is feeding? I suppose I shouldn't see any movement, but I'm not sensing really any vibration, and I dont get any sound (besides noise) when playing the grooves.

Kind regards

Miguel
I choose not to run .-