Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

davideakin

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:05 am

Hi everyone!
I'm an electronic engineer, not a recording engineer, but this looks like the place to ask some specific questions about the electronics of cutting amplifiers.

I may know nothing about lathes, but as an experienced analog engineer, maybe I can reciprocate by helping out with any electronic questions others may have on the forum :D

RichRoy

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:11 pm

Newbie and proud, interested in learning more about pressing vinyl and maybe even cut my teeth or two on doing my own pressing. Anyone with information I'd be glad to learn.

danielprints

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:19 pm

Hello lathe trolls...

I'm a London-based artist/researcher exploring the relationship between printmaking and sound recording.

I would love to speak with any experienced lathe trolls (ideally based in the UK) about some ideas for adapting sound equipment to output sound info onto surfaces (such as a wax or powder coating on metal, paper etc.)

Otherwise I'm looking forward to lurking and learning lots......

b.read

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Hi all,

I'm Barrett from Texas and eagerly joined today as soon as I learned of the forum. I'm a drummer of 20 years, music producer, record collector and DJ, very much interested in seeing "how the sausage gets made", with wide-eyed dreams of some day cutting my own music to vinyl. Thanks for having me and I look forward to learning more! :D

SmittyZ1992

Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi, my name is Zac and I am trying to learn how to use lathes and make vinyl records for both fun and hopefully some profit someday. I don't have a lathe, but hopefully I can find one soon.

DeonisP

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Hello, everyone!
I am going to build a first simple lathe. But the only thing ia have done yet is a courple of blueprints :)

acme011

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:12 pm

hey there, j dinn from toronto, hoping to press records some day, life-long vinyl enthusiast. j.xo

Dion

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi, my name is Dion from Athens, Greece , vintage electronics enthusiast , analog recording fanatic, aiming to build my own record cutter...

opcode66

Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 am

You came to the right place! Welcome.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Noise Factory

Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi all

My name is Mikael and I'm from Denmark but now live in Barcelona.
Actually been a member since 2005 but have been away for years, up until this spring where I bought a Fairchild overhead, Grampian head and custom amps.
After spending endless amounts/time in custom getting this baby shipped from US first to Spain, but they send half of it back... so one more time to Denmark and then bringing it myself to sunny Barcelona.... Way to expensive.
My wife and I could have flown over, had 3 nights on a nice hotel for the same I spend in custom/shipping, maybe we will do that next time?

Just received blanks and stylus this very week so after 6 months I can finally try if this will work.

I sure hope and expect so because I am opening a vinyl recording studio and record store in the Raval area of Barcelona, near Las Ramblas within the next month or so

It will be a little shop where you can come in from the street and record (think 50's/60's), or just get your tunes cut to vinyl, while you hang out have a nice espresso on the house, get your records cleaned, listen to some nice vinyl and browse through interesting 2nd hand vinyl and other obscurities
Cutting Sound Mastering
Mastering & Cutting dubs, lathecuts with Fairchild overhead & Grampian mono head
http://www.cuttingsound.com
http://www.facebook.com/cuttingsounddk

handcut

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Hello everyone,

After spending a year reading almost every post in the main fora, I thought it was time I said 'hello'. I'm new to cutting, but I've been a sound engineer for quite a while, somebody who enjoys tinkering with electronics for a little longer and an ametur musician for even longer than that! I've recently begun the long, arduous journey into the world of cutting as it nicely combines all of my interests.

piotr4

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:36 pm

Greetings All!!!

My name is Piotr and I come from Białystok (Poland). I am really happy to finally get back to my real and only true passion, which are vinyl records. I was a DJ for a several years playing mostly from vinyl and finally it is time to get back to my dream - helping artists archive their music on vinyls. I don't have any engineering skills (yet) as my background concentrate on marketing, but I hope (with help of you TROLLS) I will learn a lot and gain my first lathe very soon...

Hi all once again and please share some information where, or who from I can get my first lathe...

Best Regards,

Piotr

cosmO_O

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi to all Trolls here!

I'm Lali from Hungary with serious intrest in DIY (and not so DIY) record cutting. After a few months of reading, learning and consulting I'd like to start to use this board for logging my work and gather more knowledge :)

saff

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Hey all!

Hesitant to post here just yet, as though I am the recent new owner of a Neumann VMS-80, SAL 74b rack and SP79 console, I am still building a proper space in which to house it all, so I'm not actively using the system. Hopefully, that space will be ready in 2-3 weeks.

At any rate, I've had a bit of training on the equipment (from the system's long-time owner, thankfully... doesn't get much better than that!) but I'll be learning a lot of the finer points on my own in the weeks and months after it's set up in my studio. Not exactly sure when I'll be ready to start charging for cuts.

I look forward to learning more about the art and craft of lacquer mastering from you all in the coming months/years!

Carl Saff
Carl Saff
Saff Mastering, LLC
http://www.saffmastering.com

opcode66

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Don't hesitate to have me come by for an afternoon. I'm more than happy to help you out. Or, come by my cutting room for an afternoon. This is Todd by the way. Welcome to the Trolls!
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

Soulbear

Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:15 pm

Just a quick Hi to all dedicated Lathe Trolls. I'm new to the forum but have been viewing from afar for a little while. Hope to bring a D I Y lathe build to fruition in the coming months, the real bogie for me is the cutter head design/setup. Any design tips-hints- project- know-how would be greatly appreciated, thanks
SoulBear

opcode66

Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Read my Bladerunner thread. Or just buy one of my heads when I'm done. Should be soon. I can tell you that a regular person probably would have spent about two or three years to get to where I am now. It took me only 4 months. But, that's me...

flask

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:05 pm

New to the scene, looking for info and inspiration.

Soulbear

Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi to all Lathe Trolls, I'm Soulbear from Yorkshire, England & new to this forum and thought I had posted a quick introduction some little while back. Don't know what happened to my previous intro but can't seem to find it so I'm having another attempt. :roll: Don' know if any of the members or moderators can help with this little query. Are the Caruso cutterheads on general sale and if so how do you contact the vendors. I thought I'd sent a message to them from the Vinylike\ Caruso page not from my Email. I did include my Email address but thus far have had no response and no way of confirming it (the message) got to them, other than a very brief "got your message" message that almost instantaneously disappeared. Many thanks in anticipation Best Regards SoulBear :oops:

weaver77

Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi everyone. Im here to learn all I can and get my lathe in working order. I hope to contribute someday. I just have to pick the collective brain first..My lathe is a universal microphone professional disc machine missing a few parts. I think its from the 1930s...the paperwork with the lathe is from 1936. I cant find very much at all about it. I was educated in recording engineering so i have a basic understanding but as far as lathes go not so much. Anyway I look forward to this journey.