part of a 5c presto head question

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

inspector77

part of a 5c presto head question

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:57 am

Hello, someone has a side view of this piece? (sorry i don´t know the name) what is made, copper, brass , bronze ? the end touches the metal case ?

Thanks

Imagesoprte_aguja by superinspector77, on Flickr

ROLANDJAYS

Re: part of a 5c presto head question

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:07 am

Thats called the armature....... I think

Presto Repairs

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:10 am

The part mentioned is considered as both the armature and stylus mount

It is made of brass then plated

(Copper would have been too soft to use)

The armature/stylus mount screws to the housing - It is also insulated/ damped between the alloy base plate and layered plates the magnet rests on

To replace the original material - I use a very high quality automotive cloth tape capable of handling temps of 105 celsius for around 3000hrs continuous

In the following photos - Draw your attention to the armature / stylus mount + the layered plates - You will find that the brass has become exposed due to years of wear as well as the removal of debris and oxides from them

Regards

Presto Repairs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Presto Repairs - Repair/Restoration service for Presto Recording Corp cutterheads and other similar styled brands such as Audax, RCA & Universal

inspector77

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:27 am

Thats a great info, thanks a lot Presto repairs! this help me to understand how it works.

inspector77

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:04 pm

Which is the thickness of the layered plates? 1mm each?

Thanks

Presto Repairs

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Not quite - More closer to 0.75mm

There are 18 layers that measure 1/2 inch in total
Presto Repairs - Repair/Restoration service for Presto Recording Corp cutterheads and other similar styled brands such as Audax, RCA & Universal

inspector77

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:04 am

Thanks! 1/2 inch is 1,27 cm.

Presto Repairs

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Correct...

So divide 12.7 (mm) by 18 and you get 0.705556 mm

Which in imperial is 0.028 or 1/36"

symatic

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:38 am

THIS is the thread i've been looking for!

I have a 5c, and I'm looking into getting it up and running.

I have taken it apart and removed all the rusty build up that was stopping it move around at all, but I'm still needing a few bits of info if anyone (hopefully Presto Repairs?) can help.

I'm not sure where the little bent bit of wire goes - I took the magnet out and there was some wire stuck on the underside, it's like a piece of a paper clip.

It seems to fit under the magnet and under the top two Posts of the housing but I'm not sure....

Also I don't know which side is which - how do I know which way round the cables go? (+/-) and also which way round N and S of the magnet go?

and lastly I'm not sure if I should replace the yellow rubber stuff that seems to be a damping mechanism. its the yellow plastic that is the first thing you see when you open the head up....

Nice idea for the damping cloth stuff, I'll have to get some of that. I had to scrape off the perished stuff that was there before.

OH! as for the Coil, it looks OK i think, but it had some flakey black stuf which all crumbled away, I got out all the bits I could but was it serving some function?

thanks in advance!

Jccc

Fri May 15, 2020 11:14 pm

Presto Repairs wrote:
Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:10 am
The part mentioned is considered as both the armature and stylus mount

It is made of brass then plated

(Copper would have been too soft to use)

The armature/stylus mount screws to the housing - It is also insulated/ damped between the alloy base plate and layered plates the magnet rests on

To replace the original material - I use a very high quality automotive cloth tape capable of handling temps of 105 celsius for around 3000hrs continuous

In the following photos - Draw your attention to the armature / stylus mount + the layered plates - You will find that the brass has become exposed due to years of wear as well as the removal of debris and oxides from them

Regards

Presto Repairs

Thank you for the pictures and information on the damping material that you use for the 5c.
I am in the process of replacing the damping material on mine and was having trouble finding replacement.

piaptk

Sun May 17, 2020 3:09 am

Ive been using a small flexible rubber tubing. It works really well and ive repaired 6 or 7 5cs and a few other heads (audax and rca tombstone, etc) with it. Pay for shipping and ill send you some. Dm me.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com