Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

inspector77

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:47 am

Hello, i´m Pedro from Spain, and i´d like my own DIY lathe , i´m been reading the forum the last two
days, and now i have a lot of information and a lot of questions!!!!! :D

Kind Regards!

SpiralOut

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi all! I'm Lorenzo, 24, from Italy!
I'm a young Mastering Engineer who seek to understand the art of cutting and maybe someday be able to cut my own masters!
Actually i'm searching for a Mentor, so if you're from italy or europe and cut lacqueurs and you need an assistent/coffee boy/cleaning boy just PM me!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sinitsinmike

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi All!

I'm Mike, professional composer, sound designer and a record lathe enthusiast )))
Recently I bought Wilcox-Gay Recordette Sr. Model OJ10 AM Radio And Turntable Recorder off of ebay.
I've cleaned it up. Changed some rubber pads/ shock absorbents and now turntable spins. Radio produce loud static, I was able to catch an AM station at one point, but the signal was very weak. There is no option to connect an external antenna, that's probably the reason why the radio produces static noise.

The cutting head has a very nice stylus in great shape, but the head itself doesn't function. It doesn't record nor does it play the records.
I've added 2 inputs, a 1/4 and 1/8. Connected an iPhone to that input and am able to use it as an amplifier.

I'm planning to recondition the cutter head or attach a homemade one to this Wilcox-Gay Recordette.

I've also created a homemade lathe from 2 small speakers and a small DIY amp.
I'll try adding some pictures of what I've came up with: Image
http://s219.photobucket.com/user/sinitsinmike/Vinyl%20Cutter%20Recorder%20Lathe/story
http://s219.photobucket.com/user/sinitsinmike/slideshow/Vinyl%20Cutter%20Recorder%20Lathe/Wilcox%20Gay

zarleskreiger

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Hello People!

My name is Saeed Abu-Jaber, a Jordanian living in Beirut/Lebanon. Glad this forum exists, would have been nice if we had a secret handshake or such. haha.

I have spent quite some time trying to get down the whole process of the cutting wax and hopefully i will get my answers here.

Mainly though, I am interested in knowing how possible it is to start pressing, seeing the amount of quality alternative music coming out from the middle east and north Africa in the past 5 years, be it hip hop, alt rock, electronic or a mash up of all. And it hit me, Why not press all of this music onto wax! On another level, I would like to start re-pressing old Arabic records, seeing they are very hard to find at times, and if so, tend to cost quite a bit of dough.

Professionally though, I am a gaphic designer and illustrator, mainly focusing on editorial design and gig posters.

Again, glad to be a part of this.

Meep!

plupo

Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi everybody

I'm Paolo a 54 yrs old engineer with two problems , I love audio and my son loves vinyl so....
My idea is to build my own cutter following all I read here and applying what I've done in other fieds.
I'll share this project even if i don't know if i'll make a cutter , i was also considering a locally focused electrochemical deposition or carving....;-)

Anyway, thank for any tip i'll ask in the future
I'm based in Italy

Paolo

recordboy

Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:31 am

Hello again-

Not new to the site, yet still green, and took a year or so off.

I'm back - with vigor -and hope to this time bring my ideas to fruition.

I have great interest in learning all I can...

This site is wonderful... Thanx :)

-cheers
Cheers,
recordboy

untitledthe

Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am

Hello folks!

Another kid who wants to join to forum.
My name is Jacob Slofstra, 26 years old and from the Netherlands.
Running a small vinyl label with pretty extreme hardcore techno music.
Interested in the pressing side of things, brainstorming if i can get away setting up a manuel press.
Was reading the forum till now, but enter the website of GZ media that showed a picture of there new press i wanted to share with the forum.

All the best,
Jacob

idontknowwhatimdoing

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi, new here. I know a little and i don´t know what i´m doing at all, but I´m trying to cut with t560 machine and DMM technology.
Thanks for having me here. Kamil

noizeBot

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Hello everyone. Nice to be here. My name is Ernie, I'm a beginning lathe troll i suppose.

From the information I've gotten from this site I've been able to salvage some stepper motors and operational components from a discarded plotter.
The stepper motors work fine and I'm working on getting them to work with an Arduino.

My question now is on cutter heads. Can anyone point me to schematics and parts numbers to build a cutter head? I get the concept too, but I'm still wondering how to bridge the 2 driver coils to the stylus cutter.

Thank you so much for any help. Much appreciated!

madwing

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:20 pm

I'm a newbie to this forum. I managed to save some radio station equipment from oblivion, and this seems the best place to pass it along to those who would use it.

Thanks, Steve, for letting me in :)

Markbaz

Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to record-cutting, in fact I know next to nothing about recording to vinyl. I was basically looking for a regular turntable when I happened upon a Montgomery Ward Airline record-cutter at an estate sale. I was very curious as to what it was so I decided to buy it. It seems to be in very good shape, although I could not get it to play a record. I guess that would be my first question; can I play regular records on it? Looking forward to learning much more about this strange device of mine.

Markbaz

xtrigonometryx

Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for years, taking in as much info as possible. I acquired this machine sometime last year, and after some refurbishing, I'm now finally producing something I'd be proud to call low-fi.

http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4944&p=29882&hilit=imperial#p29882

I've officially caught the bug. Thanks for all the unknowing help you've provided over the years.

45rpmdude

Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:45 am

Hi,,
sorry been on here for a year or two. just found this thread.. thought i d say hi.
cause i don't see anyone having a conversation with me. so HHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII..

:lol: 8) :? :wink: :roll: :shock: :( :( :( :(

socialroots

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:27 am

hello ,im Patrick from Dulan,Taiwan.i joined up a few months back after seeing some vids of guys embossing (term that i learned here)CDs,that really left me thinking about giving all the trashed cds i see everyday a new life as a record,thus my inquiries on the net lead me to this site,a blessing ,and also a curse. Blessing because of the joy im getting out of learning a new art,knowledge,the curse being spending waaay too much time on this site reading,reading,reading,often neglecting other important things i should be doing,like building my kitchen,tend to chores around the farm,and the wife!
well,just wanted to say thanks to all the people that contribute and pass the knowledge,much appreciated.
Well now ive forgotten about the embossed CDs,its no longer magic to me, but have a new yearning to learn about cutting ,this kind of scares me as i realize that this is ,apart from time consuming,also NOT CHEAP as a hobby!
Hard for me to believe that there was once a thriving record manufacturing industry here,and i cant find even 1person now who knows how to cut,or ANY equipment ! guess i will have to keep DIYing till the day a lathe finds me!

Lurk n Learn!

mcini11389

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Hello I'm new to this site and have been into listening to vinyls for awhile now and once I heard of cutting your own, I have been fascinated by the idea. I look forward to learning

Kornyfone

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:16 pm

Hello, my name is Rich, I am an addict. I am hoping thisis a self help group that encourages us that our addiction is something to be nurtured, and not forced into dormancy. My admission that I am a vinyl addict stems from the fact that when I see a machine like Manley Labs refurbishment of the Scully-Neumann lathe project, something inside me says it ok to take a mortgage out on my house and buy this type of machine:
http://www.manley.com/lathe.php
Lol.
Seriously though, I am a high end audio enthusiast. I have a VPI Prime turntable on the way and I run Audio Research vacuum tube phono stage and tube preamp. I just recently became aware of the fact that there are "consumer grade" lathes out there. I have looked at a few vintage units on the web, but everyone tells me that those consumer grade vintage units are not going to produce an audiophile grade vinyl record. I am Intrested in producing a record that is as good as one bought brand new at the store. The only way I see to do that is with Souri's machine as far as keeping it below the $10,000.00 range. I would like to be able to produce a homemade vinyl product that one could sell online or at a record show and have it pass quality standards for a pressed vinyl. As of now, without buying an old Neumann, I am not sure if that is possible. I would be Intrested in buying a piece of vinyl from someone who has one of Souri's machine to examine the product for myself. I hope today finds everyone we'll, and I look forward to building lifelong relationships on here with all of you.
P.S. I have nothing to do with The Amazing Kornyfone Label, I just stole the name for my handle.
Thank You
Rich

florian80

Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi!
I'm flo,

34 years old , live in germany....I'm on my way with my first homegrown lathe.....my first project is to reproduce a sound signal from lexane discs (CD's) analog.

it's been a dream since I was 17 to produce my own discs.....after a short visit at Souri's Automaten 2weeks ago...I'm seriously infected.....

....I saved all my money for the last 2years, but he sells no TR at the moment ;-(

....so I started my own project to get some experience with "cutting" and its mastering until I get one ;-))

...and I hope to get a TR560 from souri'S soon...

best regards....
and stay "fresh"

analoghifi

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:32 am

Hello All,
I'm fairly new to the site and I really dig the fact that their is a site that is soley on the topic of Recording lathes.
I always had a facination to the recording lathe process and back in 1993 I bought my first lathe which was a fairchild. It was pretty rough and I had to get many parts retooled/refabricated and I even had a Westrex 3DII mounted on it after modifying the lathe mechanism. I did mostly Dubplates for alot of Reggae Soundsystems and for myself as I DJ'd quite a bit. Regretfully I sold the lathe but kept the head.
So Ive been scouting for another lathe lately.

Anyhow thats a little bit about myself. cheers!

recordo

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:57 pm

Hello trollers,newbie from Ontario,Canada about to learn about what goes on in the secret society.
What brings me here, is many years ago I bought 2 Presto 9-B amplifiers in very nice condition with thoughts of using them as mixers into my Ampex gear.
The amps are still with me and now I have a little more time to learn about record cutting.
I also have a K-8 portable that is also intact.
So my 1st question would be ...how rare are the matching portable lathes that were coupled to the 9-B amps?

recordo
:shock:

recordo

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:12 pm

To correct myself ,they would be Presto 90-B amps.
Recordo