Advice needed for a VMS70

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

digitalindian

Advice needed for a VMS70

Mon May 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've found out a record cutting set up gathering dust in a corner of my company warehouse.
What I found so far is:
- Neumann VMS70 cutting lathe
- a big motor which I believe comes from the cutting lathe
- Neumann SX74 Cutting Head
- Neuman SP272 mixing desk
- a rack full of module (filters, amp and other less obvious module) but these don't sport any model number
- a pair of studer A80 but could not reach to have a proper look at them

I have some project idea to get this set up and running and ask a professional to start cutting for us (and learn the trade myself in the process) however having only basic knowledge (refurbishing old turntable) in this field, I'm looking for some advice and information here.

I'm going back to the warehouse with more manpower next week to have a more in depth inspection, and I'll be able to take some pictures
My first question is what should I be looking for in the warehouse? as far a I know all the related product were stored together but as the warehouse is pretty far and not easily accessible I'd like to make sure that I have all the parts instead of searching a missing power supply or a separate filter module afterwards.

My second question is can someone give me a ballpark figure of what would be the cost to refurbish the system? I'm pretty sure that the setup was working some 20 years ago but since it had been collecting dust. I imagine it would mean taking apart, cleaning and oiling all the mechanical parts and replacing the worn part like rubber damper etc; changing at least the caps and maybe more electronic components; servicing the cutting head and finally calibrating the whole system.

If you can recommend someone for the job either in Japan or someone that can come over? For the cutting head I'm travelling often in EU and US so I can take it with me and bring it to a competent service but for the rest I guess it has to be done here (In Tokyo).

Finally beside the said equipment (Lathe, Cutting head, Mastering desk) is there other equipment needed in order to start cutting from a master tape?

I would need to come up with an estimated budget for this project to try convince my boss to move forward. Any help would be really appreciated.
Thank you for reading and sorry for the long post. I'm really looking forward getting this system running.

ROLANDJAYS

Re: Advice needed for a VMS70

Tue May 26, 2015 12:11 am

I recommend chris muth, he does mobil repair, and is good.
how much will it cost? thousands of dollars.

nice find !!!

opcode66

Tue May 26, 2015 12:50 pm

I can also help get you up and running, as well as teach you how to cut.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Sillitoe

Tue May 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Hi digitalindian,
another option is http://www.flokason.ch/

digitalindian

Fri May 29, 2015 1:26 am

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your answers.
The equipment being in Japan I'd rather have someone locally. If I can't find anyone down here it would be easier and probably cheaper. Otherwise I'll check the lead you gave me.
ROLANDJAYS wrote:how much will it cost? thousands of dollars.
I was no expecting the cost to be in hundreds of dollar the question was more if it would be around 5000$, 10000$, 20000$ or 50000$.
I imagine that it is hard to say without looking at the actual state but knowing that the setup was perfectly functional 10 to 15 years ago, I'm not expecting huge repair beside normal wear caused by the years it was left unused. Some of you having similar setup I was wondering what you spent to get them working.

Thanks again for your already helpful answer.
Best

Big Al

Fri May 29, 2015 6:09 am

Try contacting the people here (if you haven't already) http://www.toyokasei.co.jp/en/Contact.html
They will probably know someone in Nihon who can help you I think.

concretecowboy71

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:32 pm

To get a system running as a professional, i would expect you are going to spend upwards of 15000 USD. Unless you can do the work yourself. If it has been sitting, i would think every capacitor needs updating/changed. The entire mechanical part will need to be pulled apart, cleaned, bearings replaced new lubrication. You will need a dedicated computer with software....the list goes on. Best of luck. would love to see pics of this amazing find.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records