Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Dr Ribbersquack

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:48 pm

Hello,
Im obviously new to the site and to the whole process of producing your own vinyls. I run a recording studio for personal and small commercial use. I'd really like to offer small release record cutting one day for friends and customers. If anyone could point me in the right direction to start chatting about the types of lathes, how to use them and where to find one I would appreciate it!

Cheers!

HannesFTL

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi,

First of all: thank you! This board is the reason I'm a happy cutter today... Using the vr and made a lot of improvements thanks to all the suggestions here. I hope to learn more and share my own findings with you all.

J.

BillyJoelShaver

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Hello! Purchased a lathe after getting canned from a prominent Toronto record store. Looking to make something.

billshea620

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:13 pm

Newby billshea. I very interested in the history of recording technology, especially the various machine used to make acoustic records, the transition to electric recordings, the machines used "in the field"--e.g., Peer et al., development of ffrr, rise of LP and transcription machines in '30s/40's; development of stereo and quad cutters and incorporation of digital tech. I'm particular interested in tracing the tech history of the machines--i.e., what did one tech do that another didn't--using motors rather than dropping weights, use of feedback etc. diamonds vs. sapphire

So if you know of any articles, photos, explanations of various machines and their use, please send me an email at billshea@umich.edu--Much obliged.

billshea

lucasrosso

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Hello!
My name is Lucas and i'm from Brazil (the excuse for the poor english)
My friend @ademir and I are in the making of a DIY lathe using a Numark TTX1 and some 3D printed parts.

Here in Brazil are 2 or 3 lathes running (as far as i know).

We're looking for alternatives to adapt some parts we can't find here and importing is out of question. (Taxes are very high)

1) cutting stylus: someone have tried carbide or high speed steel to cut? Or some other material that we can find in a hardware shop?

2) disc material: we're thinking in acrylic or policarbonate. Does other material than diamond (hss for exemple) can do the job?

Thanks!

Enviado de meu SM-J410G usando o Tapatalk
Lucas Rosso
Brazil

A1-Voodoo

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:10 pm

Hello everyone :)

My name is Clearwater, and I go by the name A1-Voodoo. Sometime back in the early 2000's I had the pleasure of being a part of a group of people who had a VMS70. I'd always wanted to use it for my own labels, but sadly - even though it was once offered to me if I would operate and be it's caretaker - I turned down the chance and watched it go off to other owners around 2004. In retrospect I should have jumped on the opportunity, but my own labels were younger then and I had other related goals still in my sights... GAH! lol

That missed moment brings me here now :)

I've been working for the past two years on a new project that *would* have seen a string of 2020 music released EXCLUSIVELY on 10" Acetate Dubplates (no digital, no Vinyl, ONLY Lacquer). It's a passion project tied deeply into the 'dubplate culture' of my specific music's history. Then last week happened, and Apollo/Transco burned.

While trying to figure out where this leaves everything for me and the project - I've begrudgingly decided to look into the whole PVC / diamond stylus lathes idea, and units like the T560. I know very little about the deeper specifications of that unit (and others like it) so here I am. It's my hope that I will find all these answers buried deep in the forums somewhere (such as what the maximum freq response range is for the T560 cutting into PVC?) or by way of discussions with you all.

Thank you for adding me into the forum Steve - I'm very glad to be here!
-----
CLRH2O (Clearwater / A1-Voodoo)
STRAYLIGHT MUSIC GROUP
https://straylightmusicgroup.com

tofirius

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi to everyone... thanks to Steve for the add. I'm really interested in learning about record cutting and I hope to glean a lot of wisdom from this group.

djklaus1989

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:07 pm

Hi! I'm here learning how to vinylcutting! Nice to meet you!

rodrigovieira

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:29 pm

ola....gostaria de montar uma cabeça mono

rudy1941

Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:18 pm

MY name is Rudy. I collect 16mm movies(mostly serials and b westerns), plus Beta,VHS and DVDs of same genres.I also have many 45 rpm records(oldies but goodies),and 3 jukeboxes.This all leads me to try and find a machine which i can cut new 45s.

cutz

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:13 am

Hello,

I just registered to this board which I found after searching for information on a Rek-O-Kut Imperial II I stumbled upon. The unit is not working and some parts are missing. I was originally going to sell the unit but after talking with the local record shop guy, I’m interested in restoring the unit to cut records of my own original productions.

I collect vinyl (~500 or so pieces, 45s,LPs and 12” singles); I enjoy all types of music but gravitate towards older R&B, Soul, Jazz, “international” & and any other sampled hip hop/rap sources.

I hope to learn more about the cutting process and hopefully get connected with a respected person who can bring this beautiful machine back to life and cutting enjoyable sounds.

tjarkpär

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:51 am

Hello everyone,

been lurking in this forum for quite a while now - i own and cut on a T560.

cheers!

ilovedrums247

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:58 am

Hello,

Thanks to Steve for creating this site and everyone else who has been sharing their knowledge. I've been reading as much as i can in the hopes of one day owning a lathe, hopefully a VR T560 soon. This is a very inspiring forum and, generally speaking, with very positive posts and interactions (somewhat rare on internet imho)

Greetings
Matt

showbizkid

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Howdy! Long-time listener, first-time caller ;)

I'm not in the record industry at all, but I have spent my life in radio surrounded by records and music of all kinds. My mom was on the radio before I was born, and growing up I played 78s and Lps and 45s on the big Magnavox console changer in the living room (giant cherry-wood piece from 1957; FM, but no stereo (and no AFC either!), full-frequency AM tuner, and a 4-way speaker setup with a 6" tweeter, two 10" midrange horns and an enormous thumping 16" woofer. By high school I was digging through used 45s at thrift stores for a dime apiece, building my collection of songs I'd heard on Top 40 since I was a kid. 40 years later (and after a 20-year career as an FM music director), I have a vinyl collection big enough that my family wishes I'd stop :)

So I'm no recording-industry pro, but I have a lifelong abiding love for music and the tech behind it. That's why I'm here; to see if I can understand more and (hopefully) track down information on some of the people who cut my favorite records.

Thanks, Steve, for letting me into your sandbox!

Clark

kateltecnico

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Hello,

My name is Cataldo and I'm a recording and mixing engineer with minor experience in mastering (for digital) but I'm always very interested in mastering for vinyl and all the related aesthetic and technical aspects. Sure I'm going to learn a lot and I hope I can contribute with some stuff, who knows!

By the way, I'm based in Madrid, so, are there members from Spain?to

Glad to find this forum. Best wishes,

Cataldo Torelli.

khamsat

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:55 am

Bonjour à tous je suis nouveaux ici Mon prénom est Khamel
Je suis heureux d 'êtres parmi vous sur ce forum
je possède le graveur T560 de chez souri et espère avoir beaucoup de réponse à toutes les questions que je me pose sur cette très bonne tour qui est le T560
hélas ceci est tout un art pour le bon fonctionnement de celui si malgré la formation suivi en Allemagne chez souri
je compte sur vous pour toutes aides que j 'aurais besoins dans ma nouvelles aventure sur le vinyle

merci et au plaisir de vous lire

djk-mel

WANCHO

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:47 am

Hello, my name is Juan and I am from Spain. Greetings to all users. :wink:

guinzo

Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:20 pm

Hello, everyone, except Homer! ⁚一❩
I'm don't have any lathe but it's all interesting to me.

[close to LED airport]

Lobizon Records

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Hello, I only saw this forum and wanted to know, if any of you can make me some vinyl records of my band :twisted:

Jeepsterforyourlathe

Sat May 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Hey all,

My name is Sean. I have a small recording studio and for years have followed lathe trolls with envy. I’ve recently decided it’s high time I start this path for myself. I want to find a machine where I can cut Hi-fi stereo discs for small artists. I’d like to use the machine to boost independent music in my area outside of the digital world.

I know about Souri’s VR. Looks incredible. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how to make it out to Germany anytime soon and it seems that’s what he needs for the purchase.

Is there any other machine I could look into to suit my needs or is he the only game in hi-fi stereo cuts?