Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:41 am

Let's try this out....If you are just saying hello, introducing yourself, and are new to record cutting, but don't have your questions formulated yet, say hi in this thread. Hi there!

bossloggins

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Hello! Just here to learn… hope to be cutting records one of these days :D

David34

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:12 am

Hello ! Glad I stumbled on this, will help me out a lot. Bought a VR, Happy with the cuts Ive done so far, !!

Glad to be a part of this !

tubeshack

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Hello!

My name is Ian and i'm a 20 year old engineering student and collector/restorer of antique radios and other tube equipment. Recently I was given a Presto model Y (75a with a 1-c and 87a , no speaker) and a rek-o-kut g2 (16"). The 87a restoration will be familiar territory but the 75 won't be.

I'm going to read up on some old threads, but i'm sure ill have a lot of questions.

Ian

evangeorge

Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm here to learn and soon make a DIY cutter. :)

IRF80

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi, I'm not such a newbie as I've been following you all quietly for some time but this is my first post so... Hi!

I produce music mainly but love building things and passionate about vinyl so its been an idea of mine for some 8 years to buy a lathe.
Back in 2005 I was going to buy a Vinyl Recorder (over the Vinylium) but got side tracked.
I have since been close to owning a vintage lathe to modify (which I'd prefer) but I was beaten at the auction (They overpaid).
Last year I enquired again about the Vinyl Recorder but was brushed off by Souri so I have decided to try and build a lathe....

However, nothing amazing just a Rek O Kut M12/VRX2000 based hybrid, but I have spent quite a bit of money so far (Still, a lot less than £4k).
I enjoy the forum and I have found its easy to get lost in here for hours.

I look forward to participating more and hopefully I'll have something to show you soon.

sunkingrecords

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:31 pm

Hello

I'm Miguel from Argentina, recording engineer for quite some time in a indie way, effects designer at Dedalo fx (guitar pedals) and, hopefully, soon cutting vinyl with a machine from Angulo records (built here in Argentina too). I'm totally new to the fine art of cutting so I hope to learn something from all the good folks around here!

Kind regards

Miguel
I choose not to run .-

Lima Victor

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi!

I'm Laurens. I'm from The Netherlands. Trying to record my own 78 rpm records, on actual shellac so they can be played back acoustically.
I'm a ham radio operator, and i love vintage electronics.

Will Broduer

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 am

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. i run a Transfer house in toronto, i recently started building a lathe from scratch. its very different from the lathes of the past. its based on the scully/neumann type so ive been building it as a very professional system. im getting into the electronics hopefully the next month or so, building the amps and riaa processor an area where im not the best so i figure research and communication is key :) i hope to have it finished this year (my new years resolution) nice to hope fully meet yall.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 am

Welcome, all you Newbies, and new board experts! I hope you are having fun here.

glensound

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum... Last year I hooked up a couple of Fisher tube pres to my stereo turntable and took out an old copy of a Chicago lp. I have been a renewed vinyl fan ever since. IMHO, we have been fooling ourselves for quite a long while in this 'new digital audio world'. I've had a small project recording studio for some time and now would like to be able to cut a lp myself. I'm here to learn as much as I can about this, and possibly find a lathe to start doing this myself. I've bought and read a couple of books on the subject. I recently read that in the 70's there were over 340 million lp's sold in the USA - today around 5 million? Where did all those mastering cutting machines go? And I am also wondering why no one has kept manufacturing them? What is a good setup to start learning this craft?

JP_

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:34 am

Hi, I wanted to say hello. I´m a vinyl fan, engineer and owner of a small mastering studio in germany.
No lathe yet, but I' m looking around for some time with no real success. No answer from souri for example. I have also checked out the forum already, but it seems there are no small and complete solutions around.
So, if anyone may have ideas they're welcome.

PS: Steve has warned me already that my nick has the same initials like a banned member. I have nothing to do with this person, so I hope its not too confusing... :|

takeflight

Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:56 am

Hi! I'm Dexter, and I found this forum because I was looking for information on the Neumann AM131 lathe. A friend of mine used one to start his recording studio which is still around today, 58 years later. I've never cut a record before, and I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done to get the lathe up and running after 30 years sitting on the shelf. I am also looking for books, videos, and articles on record cutting in general.

Elvis1967

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 pm

I registered because I'm looking to get a lathe & to start mastering. I've worked with digital music for the last 15 years or so. One of my jobs is transferring from vinyl to digital & now I want to try the other way round. (Anyone got a spare?) I've always thought the best way to learn is from people with experience.

Sillitoe

Thu May 01, 2014 7:56 am

Hello,
I'm James from Perth Western Australia. What an amazing community with a wealth of information to share!
I've been reading here for a few months and have now started to build a lathe with Technics SP10 mkII, parts from a compound mitre saw for the overhead, and will be using a Caruso head and preamps from Flo.
I will start a thread in the Experimenters' forum documenting my build when my components start to arrive.
Cheers.

Bludwork

Wed May 07, 2014 11:00 pm

Hey,

I'm Adrian, a 16 year old producer based in California with a DIY record label and a great love for vinyl. Hoping to learn how to cut my own records on here. :D

charlief64

Fri May 16, 2014 7:43 pm

HI ! Wanted to say hello. Just got the urge to start cutting again. Used to do this back in the mid 60's (oh yeah. I'm that old). Now that I'm in my mid 60's I thought it would be fun to try it again. I actually used to get acetate blanks from the Allied Radio catalog when I was a kid. Now I'm retired and living in Idyllwild California. Up in the mountains. I just realized I'm up the hill from Banning CA. That's where Apollo Masters is located. It's, like. a half hour drive straight down the mountain road to their factory. No shipping charges! Of course the the prices are a little higher (OK ... A WHOLE LOT HIGHER) than they were in the 60's. The Allied 1963 catalog shows their best blank 10" for $1.01 each (that's $7.74 in 2014 dollars). (the cheap ones were .71 cents each). An Apollo 10" dub is now $16.00 each. OK, that's a little over double the price. Hey I do it for the fun of hearing a Coldplay single spinning at 78 rpm.

I have a Recordette 3 with a crystal cart and a Phonocord with a mag cart. On the Recordette I can cut at 45 rpm with a slowed down, resampled source and get a really decent sounding 78 with surprising highs. You have to really mess with the eq, but that's all part of the fun. I'm rebuilding the Phonocord, the mag head lets me heat it a bit. A great advantage for quieter cuts.

Did I mention that I worked in a studio for about a hundred years. Used to cut on Scullys with Westrex heads ..... ah, the good old days. That experience comes in handy, but there is still a lot of trial and error.

I remember a short time when you could get a decent lathe by saving it from the trash heap. I worked at a radio station that chucked one out 'cause it was "worthless". If I had only known ....... Enough of the reminiscing. Onward !

Lots of good stuff going on here on the forum. Learning more as I read.

ebec89

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:28 am

Hi people I'm Ed, I have always liked messing with electronic stuff (even if I've destroyed some of it). Anyway I've always wanted to mess around with a record cutter ever since I saw one in a movie as a kid, so after recently getting fired I bought a Recordio 6A10 off of ebay and have decided to get it working again one step at a time. First I want to replace busted parts then get the player working and finally get this beast cutting again. To do this I have acquired the schematic for it and enlisted the help of my father who was an employee for Zonda Electronics (now Zonda Telecom) in the 70s, but I think we will still need expert help. So far we have replaced the power chord and secured a loose transformer but are bogged down with some loose cables we found inside, if anyone is familiar with this model id appreciate the help

Justin802

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Hello,

My name is Justin Crowther and I am opening a pressing plant with my wife in Burlington, VT, USA. I look forward to meeting/talking to you all!

-Justin
justinedwardcrowther@gmail.com
802-999-8849

sbelleque

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Just another new guy, reading, and being inspired. Ever find something that brings all of your compounded life experiences and brings them into one focus. Well I did, that's why I'm here.