Material for flexi

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

adrik

Material for flexi

Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:18 am

Hi, I am a new here and I would ask you, which material do you use for make a flexi records?
And the second question: When you cut from CD-Rs, how can you play this on gramophone?
Thanks for your answers.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Material for flexi, + playing back CD-Rs

Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Welcome, Adrik!
adrik wrote:Hi, I am a new here and I would ask you, which material do you use for make a flexi records?
I'm assuming you are meaning to lathe cut flexis, yes? as opposed to pressing them.
Anyone?
adrik wrote:And the second question: When you cut from CD-Rs, how can you play this on gramophone?
Thanks for your answers.
I am assuming you mean playing lathe-cut CD-Rs on a normal modern record player, yes? Anyone?

adrik

Re: Material for flexi, + playing back CD-Rs

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 am

Steve E. wrote: I'm assuming you are meaning to lathe cut flexis, yes? as opposed to pressing them.
Anyone?
Yes, I want made lathe cut flexis. In Souri´s stopped made blank flexi discs.
Steve E. wrote: I am assuming you mean playing lathe-cut CD-Rs on a normal modern record player, yes? Anyone?
I have an ordinary gramophone, but CD-Rs have a big hole for playing ..

Fela Borbone

Re: Material for flexi

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi Adrik!
I use 0,75mm Lexan, is policarbonate and kinda flexi, can be cutted with fish scissors(to the round shape I mean) There is more threads in this forum about other suitable plastics.
For centering CD's in the turntable the favourite seems to be a M8 nut.The inner hole must be little bigger, using a round file or a 7,5mm drill it can be done easily,
Hope this helps.