Tubes! Welcome tubeactive

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tubeactive

Tubes! Welcome tubeactive

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi ! While this is my first post here in this secret society, I am not an audio newbie. I first learned of this forum while researching the Gotham PFB-150 Cutter amp. I have been lurking now and then for a while. It was actually difficult finding real lit on this amp's innards. Thank You, Steve E for bringing the secret society online. While I am not cutting discs, I have been active within the sound studio world in past decades and very active within the tube hifi world for nearly four decades.

My specialties have morphed during this time. Originally known as a tube amp guy, some have told me I am somewhat of an authority about vintage tube audio history. While that may sound immodest, I do not intend this. I will freely divulge info and share my knowledge to all who care. Having fixed, restored and upgraded tube gear for over 35 years, built amps and preamps from scratch since the mid-'80s, surprisingly I started learning how to retip phono cartridges a few years ago.

Still hot-rodding phono preamps, I believe I can help the Playback forum. Some of the classic phono preamp designs, particularly tube gear, are still very worthy and even reference grade. Some simpler tube phono preamp designs may be just what we need for more enjoyable listening. I'd like to bring some of this playback info to this club and spur some good conversation, history and camaraderie. Thank You for the opportunity !

IRF80

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:48 am

Hi tubeactive,

Nice... I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to tube gear but love the look of it. I think the reliability has always put me off a bit.
Saying that I've been tempted on buying one of those pre built tube pre amps on ebay. They look nice and very cheap, but then I'm guessing maybe the sound will be too.
I want to run the source into a clean but warm pre-amp before going through the power amp but I don't want to use a mixer with a lot of unnecessary eq's and spurs in the chain.

tubeactive

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Tube gear can be quite reliable; especially classic 12AX7 based preamps. They require only simple power supplies and can even run AC on the filaments for phono preamp duty. Eventually, or sooner, I'll be writing about them in the "Playback" forum and posting some schematics in the "Schematics & Circuits" forum.

If you like older music, consider that the records were made with tubes. Perhaps, vintage discs should be played back with tubes...

joss

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Tubeactive... YES, love valves, they sound warm and break up in a very musical way when pushed.
I started with valve gear in my early days, and i love it, it hasn't left me... and it smells better than digital! :wink:

Joss