I'm new here go easy on me

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cvtrig

I'm new here go easy on me

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 am

Hi,

I wanted to join your forum as I own a Presto 8D lathe that I got from Ollie Berliner about 6 years ago just as he was moving from Los Angeles to Maryland where his wife wanted to retire. Ironically I'm originally from Maryland.

Ollie's great grandfather was Emile who we all know. Ollie had some great stories to tell about his days at RCA and he had quite the collection of stuff. When he moved, he cleaned out his storage unit and he gave away a bunch of stuff to Hollywood Sapphire group which I was a member. I petitioned him for his Presto 8D and he agreed as long as I would never sell it. Little did I know at the time, he had a 100W amplifier that he also gave away that I should have asked for but he did give this big mayonnaise jar with 2 tubes welded into the lid, looks like it came off a moonshine rig until he told me it was for the vacuum system on the lathe. Pretty cool.

When I got the 8D, I almost killed myself lifting it out of the van and into my garage. I also got pieces and parts for 2 more portable Presto Lathes and a couple of boxes of every miscellaneous thing for cutting records I can think of. I now live in Baton Rouge and recently I bought a house here and the lathe has been sitting on my workbench with a cover over it. A few weeks ago I was at an amazing estate sale here and I found a couple Presto 190-A EQs. I finally took that as a hint to get the 8D going.

As far as I know I have one of 2 lathes in Louisiana. The only other one is in a recording museum in Rayne, LA. I don't know of any in New Orleans (yet).

I'm working on building a studio building behind my house and will have a dedicated area for the lathe to operate. As I get the lathe back up and going I'll have questions (if I can't find them after searching the forum of course).

Look forward to hanging out and learning from everyone's post.

I will post pictures as time permits. Thanks to Steve E. for putting this forum up and for keeping it going. Will make sure to put my contribution in for him.
In the age where FB private groups are pushing forum participation down, this is one forum we need to keep going.
Trying to get this old Presto 8D back to life.

Aussie0zborn

Re: I'm new here go easy on me

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:31 am

Welcome to the forum! You've got a nice lathe there with some great provenance. Try posting particular questions in the "Secrets Of The Lathe Trolls" sub-forum with clear titles that give a clear picture as to what the topic is about and I'm sure you'll get the right answers. Good luck with the restoration.

Gridlock

Re: I'm new here go easy on me

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Hell yeah dude! You bet your booty there's more trolls in nawlins
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8