Hello from Yorkshire.

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

effrapress

Hello from Yorkshire.

Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi all; just a quick introductory message, as suggested.

For a living, I'm a typefounder and letterpress printer in the UK - I cast metal type for other printers on Monotype casters which (assuming you're not familiar with them) are ludicrously complex machines. It's a very niche field - I'm pretty sure I'm the only person casting type commercially under the age of 80. I also occasionally make a small living from composing & sound design, and having an LP lathe seems like a logical overlap in this strange Venn diagram of interests. My electronic / electrical knowledge is sketchy, though - I've successfully built a few guitar effects pedals, and modified a guitar amp, but those are basically just following instructions and having half a clue what to do when they don't work. I don't think I'm in much of a position to do enormous rebuilds of dilapidated machines (though if someone said "you need to replace all the capacitors in it", I think I could probably manage that). If a bargain came up, though ...

As to goals - given that I have very nice, old-fashioned printing facilities, I'd like to be able to release my own (and friends') music in nicely printed packaging, as well as offering these kinds of packages for other bands. Given the sort of music I make (and wanting to offer this as a service to others), I think I'm going to need to cut in stereo.

I know stereo lathes are scarce, and I've been interested the VR lathes, though I've yet to get a response from Ulrich; I gather that's not uncommon, though it's a little frustrating.

Very excited to be on here, and I'm enjoying reading everything; though, of course, it does feel a bit like walking into a party where everyone else seems to know each other, and are already three drinks in.

As a newcomer, I'm eager to hear advice from the more experienced folks, even if that advice is 'your goals are ludicrous, and you should dial it back'. Hope you're all well.

nick

symatic

Re: Hello from Yorkshire.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:07 am

I'm not experienced or professional but your goals definately NOT ludicous and you should not dial it back :)

your printing press sounds good too!

piaptk

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:34 pm

hi... I have some lathes for sale and I will be in London in late January. Hit me up and maybe we can work something out and I can help you set up and learn the machine while I'm there. Mike Lathecuts//@//yahoo//dawt///cawm
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

emidisc

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Welcome I am just over the hill from you in Lancshire

e3sa934

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17 am

Ey Up Nick

South Yorkshire here: http://www.doitthissen.com - cutting records on my VR (and having the occasional release in pressed vinyl) for my record label ... and cutting short runs for bands/artists in the South Yorkshire area for self-release. Get in touch via the website if you fancy coming down for a pike at the set-up here.

Jon