Buying old VS Building new ?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

urieldeveaud

Buying old VS Building new ?

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:42 pm

Hi guys, thanks to accept me on this forum , after looking at any videos on youtube, i discover that most of them are also talking on this forum, great news !

i am new in the technical aspect of lathes, but experienced in mastering, electronic and coding... and a musician who have been pressing records.
i have also traveled around the globe for at least 25 years, working as a developer and trainer/teacher in various applied technologies such audio/video..
i am now living in mexico, where the record market fully died :(
and the most important, i grew up in a recording studio in France, my father´s one ;)

Well, thats said, i am not an expert, but i learn quite well and quick, and the time came that "we" have a serious project.
and the first question about record cutter lathe would be to get one in 2020 !

to make a brief, the options to buy a unit are quite obvious, and i have seen those people on this forum...

buying a unit from europe to mexico would be a terrible experience as we dont know the conditions and the quality of the transport for such device and weight !
the cost is all around 5000euros to get the minimum to start... and again, we dont know the extra cost for the transport and security.. :(
the other option is to build one, and learn along the curve...

but i would ask, is this forum may help in there or it would lead automaticaly to buy one pro unit at the end ?

Thanks for your answer, have a great day

uriel