Presto 6N vs T560... differences?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

waxprophecies

Presto 6N vs T560... differences?

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:35 pm

I recently had a chance to buy a Presto 6N locally, as a total newb... I have been reading about the basics of cutting here, as well as from the seller, who went to the Piaptk lathe cutting camp.
I previously used a service for custom lathe cuts which produced a product that I really loved, particularly for hip hop and electronic music with loudness and full-sounding bass. This servicer used a Souri T560 setup. I then became interested in getting this setup, but Souri is no longer active at the moment.

I was just wondering if you might recommend a particular setup for cutting more bass heavy dance music; is the 6N, if properly setup with any additional processing equipment and techniques, capable of making a similar sound to the T560? I was considering doing the lathe cut camp and picking up this local 6N, but I was just curious if there was a clear answer as to whether the 6N could even make as good of a product as the elusive T560. Or if you have any other suggestions for setups, please let me know.

rsimms3

Re: Presto 6N vs T560... differences?

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:12 pm

6N.

handcut

Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:16 am

+1 for the 6N. I don't own one, but I do own two 8N's and a 560. I'm planning on selling the 560, but you'd have to prize the 8N's from my cold, dead hands and even then I'd haunt you! As an engineer, on paper, the 560 (with an SP-15 or higher) wins hands-down. If you're new to cutting though, I think you would get far more enjoyment out of the 6N. These old Presto machines make great sounding cuts when properly set up. Yes, they're not stereo and rumble, w&f etc figures are higher, but, and it's a big but, the 6N (and the 1-D head) has a lot of documentation available, the 560 is a bit of a guessing game and you risk being ghosted by Souri at any point down the line.
I cut a lot of hip-hop and jungle etc. They're some of my most loyal customers and some of them are quite big names in those scenes. I've cut plates for them on the 560 & the 8N's. Never had a complaint about the 8N's supposed shortcomings and some people actually prefer the colour they add.
Can't say your experience will be the same, but it's mine....

piaptk

Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:29 am

handcut wrote:
As an engineer, on paper, the 560 (with an SP-15 or higher) wins hands-down.
man, we have to wildly disagree on that one. The 8n is the most well designed and built portable lathe I've ever seen (and I've seen a LOT of different lathes). The only real negative is the idler drive which, when set up correctly with the correct motor capstan angle and good rubber might have .3-.5% wow/flutter with a .5% +/- rpm. But that is a function of high torque turntable tech from the 40s. Anything more solid would require an 80 lb gear box like the 8d.

But, as far as design of the overhead and cutting mechanism goes, the 8N SMASHES the VR. The 8N (and 6N) are SOOOO much heavier duty and more easily adjustable than the VR. The Presto needle change procedures is WAY easier and more acccurate. with the VR, when you finish a side, you have to crank the head ALLLLLL the way back to the beginning. And when you do that, the knurl knob on the crank comes loose. If you don't tighten that knob down, then the overhead stops moving forward and ruins your cut in the middle of the disc.

Once a stereo head that is plug and play on a Presto is available (VERRRRRY Soon), there will be no question which lathe I would want. I've owned THREE VRs over the years and hated them. Wasn't even worth the stereo for me.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

handcut

Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:48 am

piaptk wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:29 am
handcut wrote:
As an engineer, on paper, the 560 (with an SP-15 or higher) wins hands-down.
man, we have to wildly disagree on that one. The 8n is the most well designed and built portable lathe I've ever seen (and I've seen a LOT of different lathes). The only real negative is the idler drive which, when set up correctly with the correct motor capstan angle and good rubber might have .3-.5% wow/flutter with a .5% +/- rpm. But that is a function of high torque turntable tech from the 40s. Anything more solid would require an 80 lb gear box like the 8d.

But, as far as design of the overhead and cutting mechanism goes, the 8N SMASHES the VR. The 8N (and 6N) are SOOOO much heavier duty and more easily adjustable than the VR. The Presto needle change procedures is WAY easier and more acccurate. with the VR, when you finish a side, you have to crank the head ALLLLLL the way back to the beginning. And when you do that, the knurl knob on the crank comes loose. If you don't tighten that knob down, then the overhead stops moving forward and ruins your cut in the middle of the disc.

Once a stereo head that is plug and play on a Presto is available (VERRRRRY Soon), there will be no question which lathe I would want. I've owned THREE VRs over the years and hated them. Wasn't even worth the stereo for me.
Couldn't agree more! I was basically saying that the strongest component of a 560 is the pre-existing, high torque turntable. Can't wait to get mine fixed up so I can sell it... And probably buy another Presto! :D

trailerparkjesus

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:47 pm

I believe it is all what you hope to achieve, each can produce good results depending on the operator. 6n would be ideal to start on vs. t560. I know everyone loves their 8n's so don't count on finding one easily! Just some things off the top of my head..

Pros 6n:
6ns are generally cheaper, 6n parts can be found, can fix most issues yourself, can emboss instead of cut (cheaper), can cut if you want with vacuum set up, less worry about what do to if it breaks, good for mono cuts with pretty good volume dependent on head, TONS of info on this forum and from the presto pros.

Pros t560:
Stereo, can cut loud, not expensive like a Neumann, can use direct drive TT, has continuous LPI adjustment via pot, sound is as good as your ear/eq is (maybe a little worse if you have mastering ears).

Honestly, if cutting is for you you'll be fine either way. If it isn't for you, you'll know!
NOTE: Either of these machines how they come will not produce professional results

waxprophecies

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:34 am

very helpful feedback, thank you all! I'm gonna go forward and pick up the 6N, as it seems there is generally more support found here, and as the one I will get is set up for embossing, I can start learning the basics.

MEGAMIKE

Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:31 am

there are some differences...6n is a bit smaller overhead area and hard to mount a stereo head and most are noisy.. but platter is like a king with good or new rubbers..
vr has groove distance and able to cut 3inch 2inch 1inch etc( punk bands love it)and 48mins per side on 12inch..but then that nut dammmt ..yes its true i have cut many a record and the half way through Nooooo..

conclusion

vr overhead on top of 8n with both overheads avalable ..maybe at same time hahahaha.. :D