Presto 85B Cutting Amp

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ejemmons

Presto 85B Cutting Amp

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:47 pm

I have a Presto 85B Cutting amplifier in what appears to be very good condition. It's been in storage for about 50+ years, in a very dry place. My question is: should I try to sell it, and let someone restore it, or would it be preferable if I did that first? It looks to be of Military descent, and is really gorgeous to look at!
85BFront_IMG3672.jpg[/attachment[attachment=0]85BTop_IMG3673.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scully "500" with Westrex 3DIIa,
RA-1574E amps.

tragwag

Re: Presto 89B Cutting Amp

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:48 am

I would say, take it to a local tube radio repair person to see what the cost is to get it re-capped, and generally restored.
I had great luck going that route with an presto 87A amp.
I'm no expert, but I would say your amp in good working condition might fetch $200-$400

If you're looking for more info on the unit, check out Alan Graves excellent presto site:

http://www.prestohistory.com

hope that helps!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

ejemmons

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks very much for the input, and the very cool Presto site! Guess it'll hit my bench after the 1547E's I'm restoring. Am mostly curious to see if anyone could get use from this amp. It's really an 85B, I goofed. I thought military due to the plug-in electrolytics (which I wish one could still get!), but it ought to be an easy recap as there aren't many in it.... Thanks again!
RA-1574E amps.

ejemmons

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi all,

With regard to the Presto 89B cutting amp, brainfart has occurred. It is actually an 85B.... It came from KGGM Albuquerque to me in about 1969, and I've had it ever since. I'm sorry for the goof!

Moderator's Note: No problem, your post has been edited to correct the model number.
RA-1574E amps.

MonsieurMatt

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:55 am

Ej!
Id be really really interested in that amp! Please let me know if you want to sell it!