$10.00 new cutting needles ebay

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Re: $10.00 new cutting needles ebay

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm

I have been helping Jerry out with the R&D of the cone embossing needles (Peter King Style) and so far, the results have been very good. I'm actually using them for hired jobs on two of my lathes right now.

Very tough to hear any difference between these and backwards sapphires to my ear.

They are much easier to get right, because there is no perfect alignment. Wax up your discs, put the needle in, let it run on a tester for about a minute, it starts off hissing and within a minutes time, all hiss goes away and you are ready to cut. Very forgiving. And I've yet to wear one out (though, Peter King claims to only get 20-30 LPs out of his (which are made form Victrola needles vs. Jerry's hardened steel).

I highly recommend them to anyone looking to try their hand at embossing.

Jerry claims that his triangle faceted cutting needles work well, too, but I haven't had a chance to try them myself. He is sending me some and I will make a sample cut.

Keep in mind that the reason NOS steel needles a;lways sound crappy is because even an unused needle gets pitted with rust. These are all brand new.

Definitely worth trying for only $10.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

morrisjer

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:46 am

Morrisjer (Jerry) Here guys!

Many thanks for the comments about my needles! We all are constantly experimenting with better ways for that "groovy" cut! If you would like to try them out my address is :jtate@btes.tv. They are $10. each, whether triangular cut, or thinner shank (cone) for a Presto, etc., cutter. My Paypal address is the same4.

Jerry

morrisjer

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:31 pm

This is Jerry again. Many thanks again to Mike for listing my needles here for sale and for all he has done. A true friend indeed! I was told to put my email address in here like this:

j tate((((at))))btes(((dot)))tv

in order to keep the spam away. Undoubtedly they surf this site for potential clients. This is also my Paypal address as well.

Thanks!!

slant1332

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:34 am

hey jerry..finally tried the embossing cone needle ..so far so good :) good job

will be trying the triangular soon.....thanks!

morrisjer

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Hey,

Glad you liked the cone needle! I keep trying to improve and experiment, that's the key. Never give up.

Thanks,

Jerry

FFrankensteinRecords

Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:34 pm

So I bought a couple of the cones and I gotta say I've been having trouble finding a "sweet spot" with them. I've tried every angle of attack and every amount of weight from low to high and I can't seem to get good consistent results. Definitely not like a backwards sapphire at this point. Alot of my most promising results keep having strange volume fluctuations and distortion here and there. Also it seems the best sound quality is acheive when I'm barely making a groove, rendering results with a plethora of tracking issues and needles skating all over the grooves. If I increase the weight I get the strange volume fluctuations, and if I increase it to the point of a deep cut it gets muffled and quiet and the fidelity comes in and out. My silent grooves are incredible, totally quiet, I just can't get a good cut. I also got a triangle needle and havn't had much luck with it either, though it isn't really meant for embossing anyways.

I am fairly new to cutting so it could just be my ignorance or my equipment, but I get great sounding cuts with my backwards sapphire. Can someone who is using these successfully share their experiences with me? What angle is working the best for you? What depth/weight? Did you have any negative results like mine? I know these are capable of good cuts, I'm not at all trying to say these aren't good needles worth trying, I'm just trying to figure out the issues I'm experiencing.

morrisjer

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:02 am

Hey there,

Jerry Here. So you are having trouble with your cuts? I have talked to Mike, my PR man, and he told me to give you his address and he will help you. Because of spam lookers, you can find his email between the arrows:

lathecuts>at>yahoo.com

Let me know your results,

Jerry (Morrisjer)

piaptk

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:21 am

Yeah, shoot me an email with your phone number and I'll give you a call and see what I can do. I've Had nothing but good luck with his needles from the get go so I'm interested to see what you n are doing differently.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

morrisjer

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks for your response. I have emailed you at your Website.

Jerry

morrisjer

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Whoops I made a mistake about who I was writing to.

Anyhow, I consulted Mike and he suggests that I make the cone needles with a flat side on the shank from now on. This will provide more stability when cutting. Of course the triangular ones already have a flat side.

Jerry

piaptk

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:23 pm

But still give me an email ffrankenstein.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

recordboy

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:25 am

This is wonderful news...

I saw these on the net a month or so ago and wrote you "Jerry" on ebay -about if these work on a recordio/recordette... I've just been delaying and becoming distracted -and I wanted to hear some feedback from people about them -and here I am reading this now and -soon you shall be getting an order from me for sure... The price is Fabulous -please try and keep it that way...

I love this forum!!!

-Cheers
Cheers,
recordboy

morrisjer

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks so much for your reply! Yes I have been selling needles on ebay and doing quite well. I have sold them in the US, Mexico, Ireland, UK, France, Italy, Russia, etc. I am getting good feedback from them, with little complaints. However, I make it right with a customer who may be having some trouble by having Mike from Lathetrolls here email them with helpful suggestions. I want to keep evolving and experimenting to make my needles better and better, and to keep prices low so people can enjoy their equipment without having to pay mega $$$ to feed their hobby.

Thanks for your interest,

Jerry

Jccc

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Does anyone know if these will actually cut? Or are they made just for impressing or embossing?

morrisjer

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:55 pm

The cone ones are used for embossing; the triangle is for lacquer and they both are the slim shank like for Presto cutters, etc.

Jerry

piaptk

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:27 pm

I just discovered that using LIGHTER FLUID to prep the disc (forget the turtle wax!) gives the best results with Jerry's needles. It removes the adhesive and softens the plastic temporarily. They sound better, last longer, have less surface noise, etc.

I recommend emptying the ronsonol bottle into an eyedropper bottle. The bottle the fluid comes in doesn't have a very predictable spray.

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR DR DUB.... :lol:
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

uvoscillator

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:51 pm

nothing better than WD-40 for embossing :roll: sure
Best !

piaptk

Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:41 pm

I know lighter fluid works MUCH better for me than WD-40. It evaporates and doesn't leave a greasy film.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com