Ebay : Technics SP10MKIII

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ROLANDJAYS

Re: Technics SP10MKIII heads up

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:27 pm

I wonder why it 5k ........

Stevie342000

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:42 am

ROLANDJAYS wrote:I wonder why it 5k ........
Obviously the person selling it thinks it is rarer than hens teeth which can only be found in rocking horse deposits and that some fool with more money than sense will part with the readies.

The SP10 may be good but it is not that good, I for one would not be interested in paying that amount, but then again we would all like to purchase kit on or for near to next to nothing.

It's been said on here and in other places many times over an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay, the more people that want the item along with the availability of that item will dictate the market price.

Frankly the prices are getting way out of hand because the sellers are jumping on the "I want to make as much money as I can but I have little or no knowledge in what I am selling but there is lots of talk on the news on vinyl revival so it must be worth a fortune band wagon". Rarity does not dictate a high price e.g. a Wilcox-Gray IMHO is only fit for plundering of parts or for land fill but then again it might help with learning the basics a better choice for a beginner would be one of the Presto K series cutting lathes. QED an item is only worth what someone would pay for it.

At least you have bits to twiddle on that which helps with the principles of cutting. Aside from research before you take the plunge and whether you can afford to go down the "I want to cut my own records road".

Ideally we would all like a Neumann or a Scully cutting lathe but we are back to rare as hen's teeth with that one. If you see one at a low price you might be lucky but these machines suck up the money in putting them right and getting them back into working order takes series money. You can not go down to the shop to get spare parts they all have to be made and you have to go over the electronics yourself and repair those too. It's a full time job in itself, however in my humble opinion many could do worse than looking out for the cutter overhead mechanisms which there seems to be plenty of at the moment or the something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371186845772?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (Commonwealth/Byers overhead platter and motor in parts - Australian)
or this Radiotone overhead with Presto 1-D http://www.ebay.com/itm/record-cutter-cutting-lathe-vinyl-cut-acetate-presto-rek-o-kut-grampian-neumann-/291300679667?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43d2df9ff3.

Get a good overhead or design one once you've done enough reading, get a cutter head probably a Presto and get yourself a Rek-o_Kut refurb the rubber parts including isolation and you could do a lot worse, would more than likely come in at less than £1000 or $.

Sometimes there are jems that come up but only experience and time will allow you to sort the wheat out from the chaff and which are the real bargains. In my humble opinion the Technics is a jem but not a bargain and certainly not worth that amount of money not to me or anyone with a nickel or a dime of common sense.

opcode66

Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:40 pm

In some ways I disagree. The SP10 MKIII is probably one of the best off the shelf platter motor systems ever made for non-pro cutting. You could have your own custom platter made. It has more torque than any other commercially sold turntable.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Aussie0zborn

Re: Ebay : Technics SP10MKIII

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 pm

I know a guy who bought a VMS80 / SX74 / SAL74B / SP79 / MT79 for $5,000. Sure it was a few years ago and although this is a good turntable, its a little over the top and doesn't have a tonearm like the VMS80 did. In any case, he's got one bid at the starting price of 5K. Personally, I would go for a Garrard 401. Good luck to them both.

Before I get an PMs telling me to stop whining, let me say this.... if you think its a good price go ahead and buy it.

opcode66

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:37 pm

It is an extremely well designed BLDC motor and motor control system. It was the best one of the three makes. A very high torque which is ideal for record cutting. It even does 78 rpm. The electronics were the basis for the Technics SP02 platter drive motor for Neumann lathes.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

13yo

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 pm

sold for $7300, not to me

these things are usually bought by Asian audiophiles, tough competition

_m

opcode66

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:22 pm

That big black piece is not just the PSU. It is also the motor control circuit. Without that part, the turntable will never move. And, you can't just hook up another off the shelf PSU. Won't work.