Souri Vinylrecorder for sale

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Re: Souri Vinylrecorder for sale

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:04 pm

It is not hype. Just search the site here for "souri cut off" and you can find stories of folks who have been cut off. Or who have had a very trying experience dealing with Souri. Right down to people who have been completely denied the ability to even purchase a VR from Souri.

I have not said the system is bad. Nor would I. I do, however, think the head is sort of a joke. I dont like basing head designs off of premanufactured speakers. And, feedback from a phono cartridge is a hack at best. Everything else I think is good on the VR. This is all my opinion. But, poor business practices by the creator is documented fact. Not opinion.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

JP_

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:23 am

:lol:

Stevie342000

Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:13 am

opcode66 wrote:It is not hype. Just search the site here for "souri cut off" and you can find stories of folks who have been cut off. Or who have had a very trying experience dealing with Souri. Right down to people who have been completely denied the ability to even purchase a VR from Souri.

I have not said the system is bad. Nor would I. I do, however, think the head is sort of a joke. I dont like basing head designs off of premanufactured speakers. And, feedback from a phono cartridge is a hack at best. Everything else I think is good on the VR. This is all my opinion. But, poor business practices by the creator is documented fact. Not opinion.
All the above are what I had experienced a lack of information, denied the chance, trying experience in answers that were not related to the questions asked over a 2 year period or so. Questions any sane person would ask given the investment. Unless of course you fall into the category of having so much money you do not know what to do with and it makes no difference anyway if the kit is a dodo. Most of us do not fall into that category.

Would I have had one? Probably yes, do I regret not being able to purchase one. At the time I was not happy, but knew that there were alternatives. So I started a search on putting my own system together from known parts and research.

About 12 months after I got the bums rush from Souri I scored a complete cutting lathe (at the higher end of semi-pro) and was offered a second shortly after. I purchased the first machine and the second complete machine a year later. So in the long run it worked out better for me. As I am much happier with these machines than I would be with the VR (mine are more flexible from the start), there is so little in them that there is very little to go wrong. They are well engineered and given the first machine had been sat in a shed for an unknown number of years and worked from the start when I plugged it (after a waiting time to allow components to dry out)in. Indicates that it was well made, well engineered and unlike a VR or a Neumann it did not need hours of work to get it to the point where you could power it up.

Is it good? I would say as a turnkey product or plug and play if you wish then it is a good place to start. However given the design and not knowing what solid state components are inside it, I am not so sure. If the said solid state components were common off the shelf and likely to be around for some time then it is imminently repairable. The not knowing is the issue.

I too would say buy one if you can get a new or second hand machine. But do not expect any support from the producer on second-hand machines. As stated there are others to go to for cutting styli and blanks.

The head is the weak point but then there are upcoming options on that as well or get an old Presto, Neumann, etc mono or stereo head. There is the question of re-calibrating the electronics to a new head and mounting it to get around. But there are ways around that as well.

I stated nothing that was not true or not known. It's a case of caveat emptor but with conditions as stated above and previously.

analoghifi

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 am

opcode66 wrote:This is all my opinion. But, poor business practices by the creator is documented fact. Not opinion.
Wow I thought I was alone! I been trying to buy a unit from him, but it was like jump some hurdles, climb a mountain, swim across the ocean kinda thing before I could even get to talking with him (VR manufacturer) about buying the lathe.

dimi751

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:10 pm

So is the vr sold as yet dan Rooney ?

Even though there are no sales support after buying second hand I will still buy, I guess with any lathe you need some electro mechanicals experience to operate.

I think if you are not prepared to learn how to fix and support your self don't buy any lathe at all don't even get into record cutting.this is my opinion.

Even if you buy a new record cutter still be prepared to support this your self at some point
You should not depended on the manufacturer.

opcode66

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Lots of cutter/engineers available via this site who can help repair a vr. Or, supply blanks. Or, supply diamond styli. Easy peezy, nice and easy. Buy it if it fits your budget and expectations. Nevermind the bullocks as some wise young Brits once said. You'llbe able to use bladerunner with a vr as well, fyi.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

dimi751

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:33 pm

I agree, you can put almost any head on the vinylrecorder record cutter even Caruso head
I think the vr is value for money and let's say you spended 10k this is small investment for small cutter business I have a friend that lost 100k plus for bad business investment so 10k is not much in this big picture.

The vinylrecorder is a very nice product I wish I had one but I can not afford it. Does anyone have a free vms70 they can give to me ha ha ha :D I probably wouldn't even know how to use it lol...nice machine though !

JP_

Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:32 am

Funny, most people here debating about the VR never owned one or have worked with one.
In the end this secret society here is only a forum as all the others: the most attention to those who love to present themselves in public... :D

Thats reason why you never get real impressions about a product in the www. Wise guys keep their self out or are in to promote their own stuff.

BTW: I would challenge all other lathes out there when it comes to cutting plastic with my 'toy-head' and 'crazy wowing' SL1200-Motor every day....

opcode66

Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:20 pm

I have said repeatedly that it is a solid lathe. My only real gripe is with Souri himself.

Basing a head on speakers is not what I prefer. I did say that it is my opinion.

I dont have to own a VR to have opinions about them or Souri. Please dont take this personally.

I fully accept your challenge. What exactly are the rules and expected output? I will guarantee I have a lower noise floor, flatter response and less flutter than you. We will need to cut nice long solo piano stabs to really point out your flutter. Some white noise to demonstrate head response. Some music that will demonstrate clarity. Unmodulated grooves to demonstrate noise floor. The discs should be ripped by the respective cutters and then sent to a 3rd party for a final ruling.

Sillitoe

Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:16 pm

This thread is ridiculous! A very entertaining soap opera that plays out whenever someone tries to sell a VR.

Can't wait for this DJ style lathe battle to go down. :lol:
Post up em cutz boyz!

Have you guys heard those SX74 vs Caruso cuts on Vinylike? SX74 got Destroyed!!!
Shank is now stocking Caruso for VR by the way.

Good luck with your sale Dan Rooney :wink:

Carry on then...

opcode66

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:35 pm

What I have been saying supports the sale of this unit. I say to anyone who can afford a vr and who wants to cut, go for it. Souri's support or lack thereof is not an issue. Buy it!

Regarding sx vs caruso, I'll believe it when I see it personally.

JekaTallbot

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:28 am

Hi, will you sell some blanks ?
Greetings from Berlin.

David34

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:16 am

Souri is great. We got along well during training session and he replies to all my emails within a day. My VR is fantastic and we have an awesome relationship.

I have German grandparents who told me before I went over that is just the way they are over there - straight to the point and it may seem abrupt to us but normal to them.

I believe it's a cultural difference plus the fact that Souri just doesn't need the extra work - Work isn't everything.

GO SOURI..

misjah

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:45 am

I have nothing positive to say about the 2 emails I got from Souri unfortunately....that he "doesn't need the work" is no excuse for blunt or plain rude emails (why bother then in the first place?)...has nothing to do with "cultural" differences either. I'm dutch, we're way more blunt than germans. Good luck to the person who buys a 2nd hand VR.

tricks

Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:13 am

I own a 2nd hand one... Those machines are pretty simple to understand and operate, if someone has a basic idea of how the whole vinyl thing works. Of course it's a bit trial and error (errors can be expencive... new styluses etc). From my point of view it's really hard to burn the cutting head (at least the dynamic one). There's also a lot of information about the head in this forum. What may be confusing about the VR setup is the routing through the DJ mixer, which I sorted out immediately. All the original devices in the signal path like optimizer etc went straight to the shelve and were exchanged. The only thing I kept was the riaa encoder, because it seems to work best with the "default" cutting head. After all "small" struggles I've been through with this machine I guess buying a used one isn't a bad idea at all. ...as long as you'd be willing to figure out how it works by yourself. And of course you shouldn't hesitate to ask the secret society of lathe trolls!! No pros or cons on Souri's support... No need from my side.

crowesBR

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Tried to buy from him. No luck.

But I would buy a second hand one. Still looking :)

yano

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:47 am

Dear Forum Partners!

I saw that you like sharing a lot of information on this forum, as well as goods and bads, so I'd like to share our company's hair-rising history.

You have to know about us that we're an independent Eastern European recirding company with an official IFPI registration and number with an orderly and legal background.
We have always wanted to release vinyl publications with our online and CD publications, but the compression technology of this didn't let us, because we just can't sell it in a 'big' number of copies so we thought we'll buy a Souri-like vinyl recorder by undertaking the technical challenges. We knew that it won't be simple and we have to learn that how can we make a goodly cut record. (And I'd like to highlight that we want to use it to cut our own publications!)

By the information that can be found on vinylrecorder.com we got in touch with Ulrich Sourisseau in e-mail, talked about what we need exactly, about the prices, the payment and about the delivery too. We disputed that later maybe we'd like to expand the park tool with one more machine and after we've experienced how do we have to cut it, we'd like to buy expansions aswell.
So the first order costed about 6000 Euro.

After all of that we decided and sent our ordering e-mail 3 weeks ago and since then we haven't got an answer, neither a reply about that, they don't answer the phone (neither the mobile nor the landline phone).

Is it real that a 'reputable' company in 2016 can't just answer or sell the product they wanted to sell?
We can't talk about misunderstanding neither, because we've translated our formal letters to german with a native speaker german interpreter just to avoid the misunderstandings.
Do you think that 6000 Euro seem to be not enough, or why is that behaviour? Or you think that only those can get a machine like that we ordered who's making this whole thing illegal? Or those, who undertakes wage cut of any music?

The more fun is that for 3 weeks this company is unavailable for us and does reply for nothing, and when I e-mail them from my main e-mail adress (I mean my private e-mail adress) they can reply to me in like 10 minutes about that we can order.

I don't want to discredit Souri because we just want to buy from him and his company after that, but I just can't understand it.

If anyone has an idea about what should I do in this situation, please let me know and share with me here as a reply, or in a private message.

(Surely we have all the e-mails and fax messages just to prove that we're not lying.)

Regards Janos Hovodzak (Lastafroz s.r.o.)

DanRooney

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:22 am

Hi all,

Due to non sale and general lazyness this is up for sale again.
It hasn't been used in 3 years and has spend about 10 of its 13 years in storage.

Located in Sydney Australia, pick up recommended as last time i investigated shipping is not economical.

Last time it was set up the cutter head didn't seem to activate (it has been kept in sealed container when not in use so not sure what the deal is). Happy for inspections however there will be no demonstrations as I have forgotten how to use.

Ideally will sell as a whole, see below thread for items available.

Hit me up if you would like to make an offer.

Regards,
Dan

soeffingodly

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:55 am

Tried to purchase one. Months and months of back-and-forth. Then he went radio silent for a hot minute.

I ended up booking a trip to Thailand and literally 3 days later I get a response saying I "got lost in his email folders" and I can come to Germany. I was like yo, I literally just booked a trip to the other side of the world! While I was bummed out I didn't get a VR at first, it was probably for the best. I will get to stereo at some point but I'm happy where I am with what I currently have.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Chuan

Mon May 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Hello Dan
I have sent a pm but not heard back. If you still want to sell this thing get back to me. I live just north of Sydney an can pickup.