Feedback Cutterhead System: Vinylrecorder Options

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

SUNBEARS

Feedback Cutterhead System: Vinylrecorder Options

Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:59 pm

Hey trolls. So, yes I am a proud owner of a Vinylrecorder system. I do love it, but looking at upgrading my Cutterhead. Souri is holding off for feedback upgrade for now, but I was curious who all on this forum makes a quality feedback system that could be mounted to Vinylrecorder carriage. I have heard that Flo makes a system too..

Anyway, any help would be most supreme! Thanks trolls!

Cheers,
J
Berlin is a Mastering Engineer and Multidisciplinary Artist based at The Loft Studio, Los Angeles, CA

andybee

Re: Feedback Cutterhead System: Vinylrecorder Options

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:33 am

Hello!
Please note: The souri cutterhead is mostly a speaker system, that can cut records, very well built, but not high end,
for dubplatecutting very very nice, and the price is bargain.
The cutter heads from Flo (SC 99, Caruso) are real feedback cutterhead systems with feedback coils mounted near the drive system.
Souris Feedback system is just a pickup system (I think ortofon concorde) , that is mechanically coupled to the drive system,
so this is not very exact. (please correct me, if I am wrong)
For me, the souri never was a professional cutter, to cut laquer masters for the pressing plant, but it is possible to do that.
For dubplates really nice, if you are allowed to come in the holy club of vinylrecorder buyers :twisted:
Souri is like a bouncer at studio 54 disco ... ;)
With some modifications, you can for sure put any cutterhead to any lathe, but this needs some work...

SUNBEARS

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:24 pm

Thanks for the reply! I hit Flo up about his Caruso head. We'll see what happens!

Cheers,
J
Berlin is a Mastering Engineer and Multidisciplinary Artist based at The Loft Studio, Los Angeles, CA

Snug Music

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:34 am

Hey andy,..hihiii...looool...
A bouncer at Studio 54? Hahaha ... that's great, .. lol .. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: roll with laughter on the floor ... grins ... you're sympathetic to me now ..
. Greetings Scotty ...from Bremen ... :)
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

SUNBEARS

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:15 pm

Well, reached out to Flo, says that we would be the first and doesn't know if it will work. So, now maybe we keep waiting for Souri. Does anyone else on this forum have Souri's Vinylrecorder Feedback system?? I've seen a few users on YouTube that have it, considering reaching out to them about the difference.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
J

Justin schoening

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi there - yes i have one souri lathe with feedback cutter head and AMP - and it sure sounds great also compared to the scully lathe I'm familiar with ( 2 different sounds/flavor but both very nice ) the volume on the souris lathe seems to be a little Lower - but it might as well be my mastering that are different ( I remastered the material to the souri lathe )
So the stuff about high end / consumer product - I'm not in for - regarding the feedback pickup placement - there are pros & cons - on the souri lathe -it is right that the feedback is handled on /through the pickup sitting several inches after the record head - I assume ulrich sourisseau chose this because of the interference the vacuum suction would have on the feedback pickup if it was placed very near the cutter head and therefor also near the vacuum "pipe"
At least this explanation gives me som logic sense -- soooo cut on
And all the best from here

opcode66

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:52 am

I am currently making metal parts for my cutterhead. The results will be fairly stunning once those are all made. Not to shabby now. Project Bladerunner. The production name will The Mantra Cutterhead. I will have completed heads within about three months. Feedback. Stereo. Full range. Modular and user repairable. With or without electronics. Many options will be available.

This is a link directly to the point in my thread where I posted my most recent test cut with an all plastic cutterhead. This is the finalized design. The critical parts are now being made in metal. I've been learning to be a machinist. Many details follow on my thread.

http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5250&start=280#p38727

You can also see a ton of videos of my work here

http://www.youtube.com/opcode66

I explain things in detail and I don't make wild guesses. Everything I've done has been a product of my knowledge of Physics (3 years studying Chemistry, tons of Physics and Math), research, and good old repeatable and quanitfyable R&D.

Once the torque tube and the transducer springs have a workable production process I will have a mold made of my transducer bobbin/push rod and I'll be making them in ceramic (currently metal lathed from Aluminum) .

The best part about my design is that if you blow a coil, the transducers simply slide out of the body. You can order replacements from me and repair your own head with little more than a tool that I will supply.

Please have a look. Maybe you'll be interested??? Who knows. If so, I have a pre-order sign-up page on my web site.

Cheers!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio