Cutter Head Impedance Matching Transformers

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jesusfwrl

Cutter Head Impedance Matching Transformers

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:43 am

trans2.JPG
These transformers can be used to match a cutter head of unusual impedance (usually too high) to a normal amplifier (usually 8 ohm) or a cutter head specified at 8 ohm to an odd amplifier (500 ohm or anything you like).

They are made to order, for a specific impedance match. For example: 8ohm to 500 ohm, or 5 ohm to 16 ohm, or 600 ohm to 9.4 ohm, or any other combination you need to match.

The standard version is rated at 20 W, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, can be made to any impedance combination from 2 ohm to 600 ohm, and costs GBP 120 plus shipping. Will ship internationally.

On request, we can make these to other power ratings (higher if needed), wider frequency ranges, or other impedances beyond the 2 ohm - 600 ohm range. Price will be given upon consideration of your requirements, on anything other than the standard version.

These are high quality transformers, specifically designed for this purpose, using audio grade core materials and special winding techniques.

No need to worry about head impedances, just buy any head you like and get one of these transformers to hook it up to any amplifier you like. They will work just as well with vintage tube amplifiers or with modern solid state amps.

Please direct all enquiries to info@agnewanalog.com and check the Disk Mastering section on the website for more information: http://agnewanalog.com/productsdiskmastering.shtml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

jesusfwrl

Re: Cutter Head Impedance Matching Transformers

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:19 am

Forgot to mention above, quantity discounts are available if you are buying 10 units or more. Just ask.

tragwag

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:23 am

very cool! I'll keep these in mind for my original Presto and Fairchild heads
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

socialroots

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:15 am

Always brainstorming Jesus! Ive ad chances to get older monoheads before and have opted not to make the buy because of the 500ohm impedance that some have required,just the headache thinking about buying it n shipping it from another country,then having to send it off to someone else in another country just to have it recoiled to 8ohms,then ship it back to me! Ok,im going to have to remember this option!
Maximum respect,
Patrick
P.s been dreaming of that Fairchild,but im sure my wife would leave me if i........

socialroots

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 am

One other question. When you were restoring that Rek O Kut,did you ever noticed if there was enuff space on the overhead to somehow fit a.Caruso head ? As a rek o kut owner,was always wondering if it was difficult,or impossible to oneday swap out my Audax for somekin of stereohead as they look to be quite abit larger physically than an old moving iron cutterhead.

I trust summer is treating you well,
Patrick

jesusfwrl

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:10 am

Thank you tragwag and Patrick! I was asked by a customer if I could make his 500 ohm head work with a "normal" amp and this is how these transformers came to be. It suddenly dawned on me that there are many 500 ohm heads sitting unused, while the solution is actually quite easy and only takes 5 minutes to hook up to the head and amp. There are many people still looking for heads, so using the "weird impedance" heads is really the way to go since the availability of anything else is limited at present.
So, since I had already designed the transformer, and tried and tested it, the next logical step was to make them generally available.
socialroots wrote: P.s been dreaming of that Fairchild,but im sure my wife would leave me if i........
Hmmm, strange... When I got the Fairchild, my girlfriend asked me to marry her! Fairchild lathes must have some mysterious influence on family life.
socialroots wrote:One other question. When you were restoring that Rek O Kut,did you ever noticed if there was enuff space on the overhead to somehow fit a.Caruso head ?
Patrick
Not a straight forward fit, unfortunately. The stylus tip would be too far ahead of the centerline. It can be done, but would need some serious modifications on the suspension. Unless someone would come up with a "slimline" stereo cutter head design...!
socialroots wrote: I trust summer is treating you well,
Patrick
It's been raining all day every day for week snow..Summer...Hasn't arrived yet!?