DIY Mono Heads / RCA MI-4887 Clones

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jjwharris

DIY Mono Heads / RCA MI-4887 Clones

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:43 pm

Hey,

I've upgraded from my previous cutting heads to a new Presto 1-D Design. I was going to keep these for posterity, but it's probably easier to sell them. Gauging interest at the moment. This is head #1 of 3.

The below details are specific to this head only - The nature of the design of these heads is that they can be tweaked with dampening etc to make them louder at the expense of top end. It's current set up seems to exceed the abilities of the Original MI-4887 it is based off. But the consistency in response between the 3 heads I will be selling do differ.

The mounting plate is 3d printed PLA, and the mounting point is a 5/16 threaded rod, it attaches with a wing nut to the carriage. The head will include the embossing styli that these tracks were recorded with.

There are a series of examples that these cutting heads have cut on my soundcloud - however I cannot tell you WHICH of the three they were cut by as I never recorded which specific unit did which cut. That said, when I EQ'd all the three heads they were EQ'd to match each other as much as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/johnny_electric_nz
RCA 1 EQ Response.png
EQ Used for Cutting This Track
IMG_20211215_101725.jpg
The Cutting Head, There is no case for it. I can provide a 3d printed case, but I preferred to run them 'nude'.
Pink Noise Cut VS Record.PNG
This is the pink noise response of the head (grey) vs the test record I own. (Hi-fi Sound HFS75)

The .rar contains embossed audio samples and a recording of the pink noise record.

These cuts were made with current peaking no more than 700mA with an average current of 400-500mA

The DC resistance of the coil is 2.3ohm

I also have steel cut pole pieces for this cutting head to make up the pole piece with knife edge and 5 rough armatures with a braised torsion spring, the armatures may require a bit of 'sculpting' to get working as well as they can, but I have no purpose for them anymore so could also sell them.

I hope this is adequate information, but I'm happy to answer any more questions. I'm looking for around $250USD + shipping from New Zealand. PM if interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/

ABON

Re: DIY Mono Heads / RCA MI-4887 Clones

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:14 pm

sent you a message mate

jjwharris

Re: DIY Mono Heads / RCA MI-4887 Clones

Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Cool, this is now sold/pending payment

I'll try and get the specs and samples for the other two together reasonably quickly...
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/