Meissner 9-1065

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

takodabut

Meissner 9-1065

Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:21 pm

I just bought a Meissner Model 9-1065 Radio Phono Recorder. It has the operating paper, and an envelope full of needles.

I don't know anything about record cutters. I'm posting to this site only because it came up in a google search on this make and model. My intention in puchasing this unit was to chop it up for guitar amp parts, but that seems like a real shame. Please send me an email at tomp@sandmonk.com if you'd like to buy this thing.

cuttercollector

"chop it up for guitar amp parts"!?!?

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:16 pm

I think I can speak for all here and say PLEASE, PLEASE don't!
It is not an uncommon machine ( I think I have about 5) but what in there is of such value to a guitar amp constructor/rebuilder? Old, out of tolerance leaky wax paper caps and carbon resistors? OK, perhaps, it's old tubes or transformers, but there are other sources for those. As an amp itself it posesses no "magic tone" circuit.
As a disc recording device however, when working properly, it can make a period sounding type of recording, though not HiFi, which is sort of magical in it's own way. A sound which I love.

takodabut

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:16 pm

OK, I will hold off tearing this thing up. I agree it's sad to destroy things like this, but for the record this thing sounds surprisingly good as an overdriven guitar amp. This leaves me two options with this: 1) replace caps and possibly tubes, then learn to use it, or 2) sell it to someone who knows how to use it.

My hobby budget is already full with other guitar electronics projects and my tube amp storage has already exceeded the wife acceptance level, so does anyone want to buy this? I occasionally drive from my home in NE maine to Rhode Island, and will meet somone at points between. If you happen to be vacationing near Eastport Maine, call me! I don't expect to make a bunch of money on this if I sell it, but it would have to be enough to make it worth meeting or boxing it.

cuttercollector

re turning a disc recorder into a guitar amp.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:09 pm

At the risk of going entirely off topic, that thing has a single ended 6V6 output I think. So, aside from the radio tubes, the part from the microphone preamp tube through the output should be pretty easy to duplicate. The speaker is neither large nor unusual. I say, use it. Take up a new hobby. It will be fun! Also, did you notice that 2 guests were very interested in another one like yours for sale on this site, should you want to sell it.

takodabut

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:15 pm

Umm, how hard is it to use one of these?

Is it so simple that I just replace the capacitors, replace and/or bias the tubes, put a normal mike input on the machine, then buy some sort of blank disks? Are the disks expensive?

cuttercollector

actually USING your disc recorder

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:12 pm

Well... It is another one of those analog processes that you can tweak to death unlike our digital brave new world. Yes, basically just buy some blank lacquer discs and a cutting stylus, dial in your cutting angle and depth for a quiet groove, and cut away. you should be able to record from a high impedance unbalanced source like a mic or even a guitar. Or from the built in AM radio. Of course it might need some capacitors or tubes replaced to function normally, but the thing is really not much more than an AM radio chassis with a microphone preamp, a phono playback cartridge and of course the cutter. Other common problem areas are the crystal cutter or playback cartridge not working due to being old and exposed to too much heat or humidity. Also lack of smooth operation of the turntable/lathe mechanism due to old grease and hard rubber drive parts. There are resources for all of this if you poke around this site. My favorites are HRS records for styli and lacuuer discs and West Tech for crystal cutter and rubber idler wheel rebuilding. You probably already know about Antique Radio supply for tubes and caps etc. if you are into guitar amps.
The first time you cut and play a vintage guitar instrumental, you will be hooked! :)

djmeverett

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:32 pm

Hi there....I just purchased one of these and I may need some parts if your going to destroy it let me know if you have spare parts youd like to get rid of