Neumann Head Mount For Grampian Head

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dhturbo1

Neumann Head Mount For Grampian Head

Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:25 am

Hello Lathe Trolls,im a long time reader of this forum,before i list my first post i would like to say a big hi to everyone on here & keep up the good work which you are all doing in some way or another. Can anyone tell me where to get the neumann style head mounting from to fit the grampian type d cutter on a vms lathe? one for sale? Drawings for it so i can get it made? Thanks in advance. :)
dhturbo1

mossboss

Yep dhturbo1

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:27 pm

How good is your bank ballance? there is one lurking around for the princely sum or kings ransom of $2,800 You choose the label
May by is the Unobtainium content in it This is either a Magic or Terrible substance, I don't know
I can dig the info up if you want me to
It's been around a while, the seller woont budge from this price
The last one I saw at ebay about 12 months ago went for less than 1/3 of that for around $475 if memory serves me well
AuzOz would now better
Attempting to make one? Nothing is impossible but I would wait and see whats listed on the Mega Market ebay that is
They do come up
Pm me if you want to pursue this
Cheers
Chris

dhturbo1

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi,Thanks for your reply $2,800 seem an awful lot for what im after.I dont no if i explained myself too good so i will try again,what im after is a adapter/bracket so i can use a grampian cutter head on a vms lathe.Its the same mounting bracket that you will find on the neumann sx68/74 head the ally bit/thing on the back but made to fit the grampian.Thanks :)
dhturbo1

mossboss

Adapter

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Hey
We are on the same wave length on the $
But I missunderstood your request
I am not certain of the grampian head mount/bracket
I am aware of the SX 45, 68, 74, Westrex II as well as a Wesrex mono and Fairchild mono and stereo head as well
I have them all
Would you post a photo of the head here It may make more sense, to me anyway
I may be in a position to help as I do have some bits ex VMS that I have no Idea what they do
You never Know
However
I would have thought that any one with a lathe and a milling machine would be able to turn this thing up in half a day
You most likeley want to find a model steam train enthusiast in your area and talk to him
A few beers at the local pub would be a good start
The tension spring at the back of the suspension head should adjust for the diff weight while keeping the face of the suspension flat as per normal
Thinking out aloud and visualising It should not be big deal really
Any way you sound like a pro more regular on the pro section? Ha Ha

Cheers
Chris

dhturbo1

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:26 am

Me a Pro i wish :o i dont know how to upload pictures on this forum.
Its a standard grampian type d cutter head which needs to be used/fixed on a vms lathe im sure it has been done before all i need is the attatchment /bracket between the two.Thanks.
dhturbo1

emorritt

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:44 am

Moss from what I gather he's looking for an adapter to mount a Grampian head on a Neumann style head mount. AFAIK this would be a custom job for a machine shop. I had an adapter made to put a Grampian on a Westrex mount and it works beautifully. For a Neumann it would have to be something that would screw to the Grampian head (or Presto, RCA, etc. - same arrangement of screws on the back) with the Neumann "plug"/shaft on the back side. You'd have to be sure that it held the head at the proper angle when released to contact the disk, which I wouldn't be much help there since I've never seen a Neumann mount . There may have to be an angle of some sort machined into the adapter to properly hold the Grampian head.

Simon

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:50 am

I have just spoken to him on the phone and yes that is what he wants.

emorritt wrote:Moss from what I gather he's looking for an adapter to mount a Grampian head on a Neumann style head mount. AFAIK this would be a custom job for a machine shop. I had an adapter made to put a Grampian on a Westrex mount and it works beautifully. For a Neumann it would have to be something that would screw to the Grampian head (or Presto, RCA, etc. - same arrangement of screws on the back) with the Neumann "plug"/shaft on the back side. You'd have to be sure that it held the head at the proper angle when released to contact the disk, which I wouldn't be much help there since I've never seen a Neumann mount . There may have to be an angle of some sort machined into the adapter to properly hold the Grampian head.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

mossboss

Mount

Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks Eric I now have the picture in my minds eye
DH have a block af aluminium machined down to a round spigot to go into the Neumann head mount/holder with say 1/4" thick of it remaining as a plate, with holes drilled to pick up the Grampian hole pattern
About a 2 hour job for a guy with a lathe and a bench drill/milling machine
and a lump of solid aluminium
Cheers
Chris

dietrich10

Re: Neumann Head Mount

Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Did anyone ever source one of these?
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

ROLANDJAYS

Re: Neumann Head Mount

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:52 pm

I have made some ,
it is a tail to mount a Grampian to a neuman head.
does anyone want one?

pandapolar

Re: Neumann Head Mount For Grampian Head

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:59 am

I have a complete suspension unit that came off a am31 ... i dont have the head anymore though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cutterwoller

Re: Neumann Head Mount For Grampian Head

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:47 am

I have an original adaptor to mount the grampian type-D head into a Neumann head box. I have used this many times to master with my grampian on a VMS-70. I got the adaptor from Al Grundy (pass away).

I am not prepared to sell it as I use it but could post a picture with dimensions if anyone wants (very simple piece to make to a good engineer). Its very similar to the the mount used with ortofon heads on Neumann lathes except without the vertical slide adjustment.

Lewis