Ebay : Fairchild 5390 Lathe 16" Transcription TT

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

diy_cutter

Ebay : Fairchild 5390 Lathe 16" Transcription TT

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Vintage Fairchild Model 5390 Cutter Lathe Machine Machine 16" Transcription Turntable. Selling as-is for Parts or Repair Untested, serial # 240. It does have some white rust on the base.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairchild-5390-Record-Cutter-Lathe-Machine-16-Transcription-Turntable-/200866088852?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ec48d4794

Angus McCarthy

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:38 pm

I can't tell from looking whether this model has a pitch adjustment transmission or takes different screws like a Presto.

That's not so much rust/corrosion as it is spots where the enamel has flaked off. It looks like someone tried to clean it up and went over it a little too roughly.

Corporate Records

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:18 pm

These machines have a set of interchangeable gears that fit on the end of the feedscrew to change the lpi. With a little luck they're all still in that little housing on the right end of the feedscrew.
It looks like there's something wrong with the rubber coupling between the motor and the turntable drive. It looks pretty melted. I think they needed to be replaced if they got hit with any oil.

13yo

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:12 pm

dang this thing looks rough, guessing this would require a complete strip down to chassis part for part restore. many of the nuts and bolts might be frozen and strip/break upon removal. its obviously been in a garage or poor storage for perhaps decades. same for the motor, I believe there are people who can rebuild these old motors and balance them to better than spec. not sure but from the pics looks like pitting on the lead screw, and I wouldn't doubt other sensitive parts like bearings may be pitted too, its possible new parts would have to be machined, but just guessing. The steel will be the big problem, but I see alot of brass in the pics which resists corrosion better, so the gears might be okay. A huge project but for the right person a fascinating journey. Does anyone know if original machinists blueprints exist for something like this?