Wanted : Presto or any other Lathe

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

the_ducktail

Wanted : Presto or any other Lathe

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:07 am

Hi everybody my name is Richie, A rockabilly singer and a record collector, I want to start a little recording studio for some old fashion bands and of course for myself. But unfortunately there are no record lathes here in my country I've been looking many years for one of these with no success, the only one I've found was in a museum adn they dont sell it. As MarkRob said there should be some lathes over southamerica but seems people just throw them to the garbage can or they just dont know what they are used for and dissasambled them and sell it to recycling stores for a few dollars. I want to buy a presto recorder, reasonable price but I want one that is working. as it is also difficult for me to find ANY replacement. best regards. Richie-
Last edited by the_ducktail on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

castillian500

WANTED RECORD LATHE

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:00 pm

There is a really good one from Switzerland but it's expensive , but what else would yopu expect ?

the_ducktail

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Castillian500. can you send me the link or something? how much is it. thanks a lot.-

petermontg

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:09 am

The one in Switz is a Neumann VMS70(if it's the same one am thinking of) It's no longer listed online but has not sold. I am not sure how the offers were going. but has a guide price of 100KUSD

Mark has a presto listed.
https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=3457.html

Check with GIB @West-tech.

If you want something to compete in quality.
http://www.vinylium.ch/page/content/index.asp?MenuID=24&ID=21&Menu=1&Item=11

Angus McCarthy

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:05 pm

If you want to buy a Presto off-the-shelf in perfect working condition, expect to pay out the nose for it.

Most of us here are in the process of restoring and rebuilding the equipment we cut on - it's the nature of the craft and of the equipment since they haven't had replacement parts made in 60 years.

the_ducktail

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:56 pm

thanks guys, :) its nice to find people like you, I know its almost impossible to find a NOS record lathe. I just want something that can be used. not mint condition, not like brand new. just something that will work. :) I talk with MarkRob and its sold :P anyway I will keep an eye on this site, If I find something I will let you know. thanks trolls :)

powerstrip

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:51 am

Hey, just a couple things.

The thread down the page is offering 1500 for a full functioning 6N. Plus shipping and materials that's 2000 USD.
You guys are already having a hard time getting materials down there? You will need:
stylus
Blanks
Possible repairs eventually

Just things to think about. Stranded with no materials is bad news.

But getting the cutter and making your own old fashioned records could help your career as a Rockabilly. Could be your smart move that makes you stand out. Rare stuff.

powerstrip

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:58 am

Ok so markrob sold.his. point is 6n are not that hard to find, but. Functioning. 1500 is a fair price. Don't expect it for less unless for 1000 without amp and missing nice parts. Markrobs was in great shape and ready to go! Best deal you.could have found.

So. Can you.shell out 1500? Money talks!

the_ducktail

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:12 pm

thanks a lot POWERSTRIP :) yes Im able to pay it. I want to record it same way it was recorded in the fifties. :) I will post something about sun records equipment for all of us to share. take care :)

Angus McCarthy

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:12 pm

To be honest, Duck, the vast majority of 6Ns were used in Radio stations rather than Recording studios. Sun is the most commonly referenced label that did use one, but don't forget there were many other brand names used for transcriptions and also higher grade lathes used to master mass-market albums and singles. Keep your eyes peeled for names other than Presto, you may get lucky and find one in good condition. Good Luck in your search!

MrMegaEli

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:58 pm

I don’t think Sun cut the masters on the 6N...I think it was just for references..

the_ducktail

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 pm

thanks MRMEGAELI I have a book of sun records and sam had one presto lathe, maybe a different model or type but he had one or well as you said it was used just for references. I will read more about it. ANGUS I bought a rek o kut but the seller did not wanted to ship this item to south America and drop the auction on ebay. I know theres a few other brands. thanks for your support. :)